1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Gloves and hand wrapping

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by redrumdog, May 6, 2010.

1. redrumdog

redrumdog Top Dog

This is a question for MMA guys. Do u wrap your hands different for MMA then boxing? What is the difference hitting with those MMA gloves compared to boxing gloves? Boxing gloves seem to have more padding .

2. Bxpits

Bxpits CH Dog

mma gloves protect the hands better yet giving you the open hand to be able to grip an opponent. boxing gloves were not meant to protect your hands they were made to protect the other guys face.
    as far as wrapping its basically the same thing

3. IRONHIDE

IRONHIDE Big Dog

taping is the same but mma gloves are only ment to minimize cutting damn near like gettin hit with a bare fist...

4. websterz28

websterz28 Big Dog

same concept but different application... i personally am a bjj guy so i wouldnt want my hands wrapped that much because it will affect my grip and dexterity. ill give up a little bit of wrist support for more movement, where as a muay thai guy might want wrapped more because he will focus on striking and could use the extra protection. wrapping hands is an art not a science and whatever works works.

5. redrumdog

redrumdog Top Dog

I agree wrapping is a art.All trainers in boxing had their own way of wrapping.I just thought for MMA it would be a little different for the grappling aspect. Thanks guys for the input.

6. ausapbt

ausapbt Big Dog

i train muay thai and use hand wraps, i train at a mma/muay thai/ Bjj centre and the mma guys use the same wraps as we do.

We are only interested in protecting from wrist injury, if you punch correctly risk of injury is minimal unless you hit teeth

Hope it helps

7. redrumdog

redrumdog Top Dog

I have deep respect for Muay Thai fighters.You guys take a beating on your legs and throw the meanest elbows and low kicks I have seen. I remember the first time when I was kicked on the inside of my thigh.Something you don't forget.Pain makes you learn fast not to take that shot.

8. ausapbt

ausapbt Big Dog

Thank you, I respect all fighters as each discipline takes a lot of commitment and pain. In particular I admire the power the bjj guys have as watching them apply their skill and disable their opponent in seconds with the force they use is unbelievable, muay thai its very hard on the body, we do a lot of conditioning so when we get hit our body is used to being hit and does not react the way a person who has no training would react, the body will take a lot of punishment but once the mind gives in the body follows.

9. redrumdog

redrumdog Top Dog

Aus very true.I have respect for anyone that steps into the ring.I just come from a striking background so I understand it more.The grappling I really enjoy watching when there two good guys going at it.Its like a chess match.Its amazing how fast guys move on the ground as well.

10. Mextra

Mextra Big Dog

Hand wraps are for protection keeping the bones in the hands a wrist tight . Tape and gauze are used for fights , a general wrap or gel wrap is for training . as far as gloves go In Boxing it depends on the manufacturer most guys favor one glove over another it just the feel .

11. wardogkennels

wardogkennels Top Dog

Yes you wrap your hands differently. Not much difference hitting with mma gloves as compared to boxing. The biggest difference is of course the size of the glove. It is harder to block punches with the smaller glove. It is easier to parry a punch with boxing gloves. MMA gloves there is less room for error. Boxing gloves definitely have more padding but sometimes I think getting hit with a boxing glove can hurt more. Like getting hit with a sledgehammer(boxing glove) vs a hammer(mma glove). Both will hurt it just a different kind of hurt.

12. Sampson1

Sampson1 CH Dog

I agree with wardogs...i train for both(boxing and MMA) and bxing groves jar you more when hit solid..MMA gloves just put you to sleep...its like the question what would you rather be hit by something small moving fast or something big moving slower ?

13. wardogkennels

wardogkennels Top Dog

Exactly, lol:)

14. MinorThreat

MinorThreat CH Dog

they were made to protect your hands from breaking, they dont protect anyones face and same goes for wrapping