1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

getting used to dog run??

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by GAowner, Feb 17, 2007.

1. GAowner

GAowner Pup

All that digging and pouring concrete for posts, and my boy doesnt like the dog run. Its a tad over 100 feet long of 1/4 inch cable attached to the two posts. I have a 20 foot cable attached to the pulley and a snap for his collar.

When I put him on it, he just sits there. Doesnt pull, nothing. The whole family walked to the opposite end and called for him, got doggie treats etc. no go. We finally got him to the other end and he sat there. We opened the car door and said bye-bye (he LOVES to go in the car). nothing

I am not there now but my wife tells me theres no improvement. I was thinking of putting him on the dog run AND on a leash. Then she could walk him on the leash as he gets used to the run.

He has been on a 20foot cable on our patio numerous times so its not entirely a new concept to him.

Any help would be appreciated. This is the only way my boys going to get some exercise.

2. ABK

ABK Rest In Peace

Sounds like he is just sulled up & needs a little tough love. Ignore him & he'll exercise when he is ready.

3. dog-man

dog-man Big Dog

Is this the same dog you were asking questions on how to properly do a chain set up for?, what happened.

4. GAowner

GAowner Pup

Yes, same dog

I havent set up the chain yet. I have all the hardware but after thinking about it, decided to wait. I figured my time was better spent on the dog run ( i am only home for a few days at atime) so he could get some exercise. Hes an inside dog so he only goes out a few times a day to pee, etc. We work from home so we let him out 3-4 times a day. I may not even do the chain. I dont see the point when hes on the dog run being watched. AM i wrong?

My wife thinks its cause the cable is heavy with the big snap and the 5 u-bolts on the cable. I told her BS. He holds his head up fine. He just sits there

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 17, 2007
  5. Verderben

Verderben CH Dog

Wait for what? Him to get in ANOTHER fight. From what you are describeing you put up one of those cable trolley deals. How many times are you going to not properly contain your dog before you learn a lesson? Do us all a favor and put your dog in an appropriate home that isn't to cheap to get him a PROPER set up.

6. for holy hecks sake i was thinking the same thing!!!!! decided to wait???? wtf do you even bother to ask questions for if you're just going to ignore the advice you get?

7. GAowner

GAowner Pup

well when I asked previously, the cable set up was implied as a GOOD idea.

explain to me how the dog is going to get to run around and get any exercise if I DONT set up a cable system and I have no fence???? How much running around can he do on a 10 foot chain???

If the cable setup is no good, then why did several people tell me how to build one and why does anyone here bother to put one up?

I dont see the need for a chain cause hes only outside for 15-30 minutes at a time. During that time, I think hed rather be on the cable running around while we play with him, then stuck on a 10 foot chain

I guess I could just let him off the leash and play fetch with him with NO cable or leash. Would that be better??

As far as being cheap goes, 140 foot of cable, hardware, wood, concrete and time spent digging holes was a HELL OF ALOT MORE LABOROUS AND EXPENSIVE then a simple chain.

You fuckers should read everything and think before replying

8. GAowner

GAowner Pup

9. Big Rod

Big Rod Big Dog

Hey GA, just last night as me and my buddies were having a few beers we found out a way to really excite my dog. They brought over a RC truck and drove it all along the fence and maaaan did that dog go crazy for it. If he would of been tied up to a dog run, im very sure it would have came in handy.

It would be some work for a person them selves to run back and fourth and thats cause the dog probably see's you all day so he might just sit down and think you were crazy. If you got a kid or a relative with one of those toys you might just wanna give it a try, im pretty sure that will get him worked up.

And by the way, the RC truck was a valentines present...and out of all the presesnts us guys got, it was the BEST. Who would of thought, huh?

10. hey dumbass the run is meant for temporary, supervised exercise and the chain is meant for containment. you're too damn dumb to see, or admit, the problem here is you and your lazy ass family can't take care of this dog! a walk on a fuckin leash would be great but Lord forbid any of you lazy pukes get out and spend a few minutes with the dog! there's been tons of points made on the last 2 or 3 threads you started about this, hardly any that your hard head has listened to. put the fuckin dog on a chain and somebody go the fuck outside and exercise the sonofabitch for half an hour a day or get rid of the fuckin thing! you are a complete retard who has no business owning an APBT!

does anybody have any doubt on where i stand on the issue?

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 18, 2007
  11. GAowner

GAowner Pup

You must be a dumb ass, I swear.

What is more temporary than 15-30 minutes???

Did you see where I wrote that he was being watched??

Gee, 15-30 minutes and being watched sure sounds like TEMPORARY SUPERVISED EXCERSICE to me, huh, ya think, braniac???

Containment implies long term. I am NOT looking to keep him outside for long terms. If i wanted to keep him outside unsupervised, I would build a kennel.

I am simply looking for a way to keep the dog outside so he can run around for a while while we play with him. Ya know, throw the ball, etc. He loves jumping for sticks too. If a dog happens to run in our yard, while hes on the cable, 1 we will be there to stop the dog from entering the kill zone,2 if the dog does enter the kill zone, we can stop it.3 my dog wont be able to run and chase it 4 Ill be honest. If something happens, the yard now has cameras for proof and that shit aint my problem if my dog is restrained and the neighbors still let their dogs run loose. sorry

Sorry man, maybe you dont understand my purpose of the dog run. I am not looking to keep him outside for extended periods of time. If i implied something differently, my bad

The RC car idea is good. I have 2 gas ones that need some work. For now I told my wife to leave him out there and watch him through the window

12. so you call supervised looking through the window...just like i said LAZY......and you make fun calling me a brainiac! you step into shit further everytime you post.

edit: you know i had to come back and add to this! so brainiac pay attention! so you just expect that since you put the dog out on your set up he is supposed to know..."it's time exercise run back and forth now" ??? wtf??? these dogs require time, attention, and stimulation to be happy. sticking him on a damn cable run and acting as though your fulfilling you obligation as an owner is bullshit! i told you already you're too lazy to own this dog. your family is too lazy to own this dog. if she can watch out the window why don't she go out and play with it???? 15 minutes of sitting on your ass watching or 15 minutes working a flirt pole with the dog......huh got an answer for that brainiac. tell me she's too busy. if that's the case why do you have a dog then? if you can't fulfill any of those requirements you should get rid of the dog. you selectively hear what you want to hear and discard the things you don't like that's why you're failing in your attempts. i almost think it's pointless to continue to keep posting but maybe, just maybe in the long run it will work out for the dog i hope.

13. GAowner

GAowner Pup

wow, did you miss the whole part where we took treats and and toys and tried to get him to move on the cable? we have tried this day after day. theres only so long someones going to try to play with a dog before they give up. My daughter also runs with him but no go.

when he does move we are sure to praise him.

SO yes, for NOW we are leaving him out there for a while and watching him through the window or from around the corner of the house. Hopefully hell learn to get used to it.

EDIT: in response to seeing your edit.

i told you like 3 times, we are out there with him, using a stick (he loves to jump for a stick or anything held human head high), treats, or throwing the ball he usually chases after and trying to get him to move.

Is it to much to expect to play with him while on the cable run??

Thats its dude. All i want is to be able to play with him WHILE on the run. But its not working out. YES I was hoping he would get on the run and play with us. Maybe a little break in time but not a week. Hes been on a cable hundreds of time (yes a crappy cable) so i didnt think this was a completely new concept to him

Man i suggest you go back and read the whole thread before replying. I NEVER stated he was going to be left alone except starting now so he can learn to love it.​

14. well it's kinda like potty training. just cuz you don't get it done in a week.......don't mean you quit trying. like i said try a flirt pole. he could stay on the run and work that easily. set up a spring pole close by.

15. GAowner

GAowner Pup

now, see I appreciate that. a flirt pole. will look into.

to be honest, when that car door opened and he didnt budge, that was a shock.

16. Verderben

Verderben CH Dog

Thank you for saying it nicer than I was about to ! The dog has attacked 2? 3? other dogs, habitually leaves the yard, had to be hid because AC wanted to confiscate it and this dumbass STILL refuses to contain it properly. GA If you were not willing to commit to what it takes to own one of these dogs why did you get one? and the excuse "I don't have a fence" is getting old. Fence in an area of your yard, use a proper chain, and exercise the dog yourself, It's your responsibility, You don't stick a dog outside and leave the responsibility on the dog.

17. Verderben

Verderben CH Dog

soooooo what is it? Are you superviseing him and playing with him or are you watching him through the window, You contridicted your self all in one post.

18. GAowner

GAowner Pup

wow, you highlighted the very things that answer your question, yet you ask the question anyway.

we have been out there with him. Since he doesnt seem to be responding, we are trying another approach of letting him sulk out there. I told my wife to start that today. hes still being supervised from inside. maybe theres a 10 second delay from us getting out there. We have 3 acres, cleared. From the window we have a wide view of whats going on and can see any other animals approaching with plenty of notice. IF YOU HAVE A BETTER IDEA, THEN LET ME KNOW.

you highlight my daughter is running with him. what? is she not allowed to do that? Or are you assuming theres no adult supervision? she runs along the cable and trys to get him to follow her

Its a simple concept. Put the dog on a cable so hes restrained while we play and exercise with him. He doesnt want to play while on the cable. How do we get him to play while on the cable? I wasnt trying to make a complicated issue, just get some ideas like the spring pole and RC car.

I think at this point you are reading what you want and taking it how you want. Go ahead and assume what you want. If you dont have any helpful comments to the original question, just move on. Thanks.

EDIT: As far as leaving the yard, that happened one time while chasing a dog out of OUR yard. Wrong, yes. Habitually? I dont think so

19. dog-man

dog-man Big Dog

Gaowner, what are demensions of this dog run, if the problem is he is not active or getting enough excerise, there are tons of things you can do, flirt pole, put a leash on him and walk him around the block, i really dont trust those cables as they can bust when you least expect it, but if its what you have and as you say only use it when supervised get a long one (20 or 40ft), play fetch with him. Good luck.

20. SAM_I_AM

SAM_I_AM Big Dog

GAOwner,

you said that he has been on a cable before. That cable that he was on was probably attached to a spike or something in the ground. he may be freaking out be cause the cable is overhead and i thinks that everytime he moves the pully is chasing him. just a thought!!

Everyone else,

I know GAOwner has made some dumbass moves but then again who hasn't. If the name calling and bashing keeps up the thread will get locked and who will suffer.... the dog. that is all, Game on!