1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Georgia Governor Perdue Signs Dogfighting Legislation

Discussion in 'Laws & Legislation' started by Marty, May 6, 2008.

1. Marty

Marty Guest

Atlanta,GA -- Animal rights groups are applauding a new law that toughens penalties for dog fighting in Georgia.

They credit Michael Vick -- the Atlanta Falcons quarterback serving time for running a brutal pit bull ring -- with making it possible.

Paul Berry, CEO of the Best Friends Animal Society, which helped write the Georgia law, said "Vick has been the best thing to happen to pit bulls for a long time."

Governor Sonny Perdue signed the bill into law at a state Capitol ceremony today.

Perdue is a former veterinarian who owns two dogs.

The new law takes effect immediately and makes it a crime to attend a dog fight or to breed the animals for fighting. It also becomes illegal to possess a dog with the intent to fight the animal.

That makes its easier for authorities to bust dog fighting rings because they no longer have to catch fights in progress.

A Humane Society official said Georgia's dog fighting laws had been among the weakest in the nation.

http://www.11alive.com/news/article_news.aspx?storyid=115450

2. simms

simms CH Dog

http://www.stayexempt.org/
    I feel for ya'll over there. Maybe it's time to hide amoungst the mist of these ppl. Best friends can suck it, i would rather a bullet be put in my dogs heads as opposed to these knuckleheads getting a hold of them!

3. SPFDOGS

SPFDOGS Guest

"It also becomes illegal to possess a dog with the INTENT to fight the animal."

This is how alot of good people are going to go to jail and lose their "lives"..Ignorant politicians passing these BS laws..Its getting(like it already hasnt been) crazy out here for the dogman & the average pet owner as well..

4. coolhandjean

coolhandjean CH Dog

"It also becomes illegal to possess a dog with the intent to fight the animal."

That is a big broad. How will they know? Looks like bad news for sure.

5. CooljoeGoodie

CooljoeGoodie Big Dog

I'm worried that a trend is being set for the furture with the way they are making these laws.I believe that after a while,who knows how long,but it may come to the point that no matter the crime or whatever your life is gonna get screwed.If people believe that dogs warent these types of punishment,while everything that is important to human life,even the earth is going to hell with a gasoline cock-tail,.....what does that really say........

6. simms

simms CH Dog

Yes it is scary! What little respect I had for those jokers "bestfriends" there is no more. The APBT "rescue", community as opened the door for these folks to come and and interpert or enforce what there standard should be.

7. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

They may as well ban all contact sport.

8. simms

simms CH Dog

Bump..................

9. GSDbulldog

GSDbulldog CH Dog

Yikes. How does one prove "intent"?

10. YAHHOOO

YAHHOOO Big Dog

Its amazing they pass laws like this making it possible for people to get arrested accused charged and convicted of a crime whether they did anything or not. You intended to fight the dog... FELONY! What a croc!