1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Genetics

Discussion in 'APBT Bloodlines' started by XxKonnectionsxX, Oct 10, 2004.

1. XxKonnectionsxX

XxKonnectionsxX Top Dog

I have a question. Or more of a hypothesis. Just something I've thought of on the top of my head. This should rattle a few brains and start a good topic. Anyways here it is.

REMEMBER THIS IS JUST A HYPOTHESIS! OPINIONS ARE HIGHLY ENCOURAGED!!!!

----Lets say you have a scatterbred dog. I'll just make up a dog's pedigree for this one.

Lets say you have a scatterbred sire or dam or both. The sire may have be alligator/eli/carver and the bitch would have alligator/mayday/eli. Ok each dog would obviously have some characteristics from each bloodline. Now lets say you are a very experienced dog man and you knew your bloodlines well and you knew the characteristics you wanted in a dog. One has a stronger bite, the other may have more wind, and the other more stamina. Now lets say you wanted a dog who had more of an alligator/mayday genetic make up. Would it be possible to breed the existing sire and dam and get a pup. Then take an outside dog and breed it to that dog to control the bloodline even more? Let say you breed your original dogs and they come out with alligator/eli/carver/mayday. Lets say someone wanted more of an alligator/mayday dog. Would it be possible to breed that alligator/mayday dog to an outside stud and control the line a little bit more. If that bitch is bred to a stud that was mayday/alligator and they had pups. Could it be possible that waaaay down the line if this was done you would eventually have a stronger mayday/alligator bloodline going. And is it possible that if the genetics are soo controlled it would over power the carver or eli genes and other genes that may be in there. Is it also possible that with time, you could actually bring a bloodline thats almost dying out back into action?

Just some food for thought. I was just sitting outside at the park and that popped in my head. Just thought I would share my thoughts. REMEMBER opinions are wanted.

2. XxKonnectionsxX

XxKonnectionsxX Top Dog

Damn I hope this post made since. I see people looking at it but no answer yet. Oh well. I hope it wasn't too complicated.

3. nc_pitbulls

nc_pitbulls Big Dog

Lets say you have a scatterbred sire or dam or both. The sire may have be alligator/eli/carver and the bitch would have alligator/mayday/eli. Ok each dog would obviously have some characteristics from each bloodline. Now lets say you are a very experienced dog man and you knew your bloodlines well and you knew the characteristics you wanted in a dog. One has a stronger bite, the other may have more wind, and the other more stamina. Now lets say you wanted a dog who had more of an alligator/mayday genetic make up. Would it be possible to breed the existing sire and dam and get a pup. Then take an outside dog and breed it to that dog to control the bloodline even more? Let say you breed your original dogs and they come out with alligator/eli/carver/mayday. Lets say someone wanted more of an alligator/mayday dog. Would it be possible to breed that alligator/mayday dog to an outside stud and control the line a little bit more. If that bitch is bred to a stud that was mayday/alligator and they had pups. Could it be possible that waaaay down the line if this was done you would eventually have a stronger mayday/alligator bloodline going. And is it possible that if the genetics are soo controlled it would over power the carver or eli genes and other genes that may be in there. Is it also possible that with time, you could actually bring a bloodline thats almost dying out back into action?

Just some food for thought. I was just sitting outside at the park and that popped in my head. Just thought I would share my thoughts. REMEMBER opinions are wanted.<!-- / message --><!-- pedigree --><!-- / pedigree -->
    Now lets say you wanted a dog who had more of an alligator/mayday genetic make up. Would it be possible to breed the existing sire and dam and get a pup. Then take an outside dog and breed it to that dog to control the bloodline even more? (*(Answer)*)Depends On What That OutSide Dog Is , Too Much Of Everything Isn't A Good Thing , But If It's Atleast One Of The Bloodlines Then Possibly. Let say you breed your original dogs and they come out with alligator/eli/carver/mayday. Lets say someone wanted more of an alligator/mayday dog. Would it be possible to breed that alligator/mayday dog to an outside stud and control the line a little bit more.(*(Answer)*) If Tha Out Side Dog Had Alligator/Mayday , but the pups would still have some eli/carver probably not alot but still will obtain it and yes the alligator/mayday would be on top. If that bitch is bred to a stud that was mayday/alligator and they had pups. Could it be possible that waaaay down the line if this was done you would eventually have a stronger mayday/alligator bloodline going. (*(Answer)*) Yes , For That Reason You're Just Tightening Up The Bloodline. It Would Be Alot Better And Stronger But The Fact That Eli Is Still There , The Pups Will Have A Certain % Of Alligator Top , Certain Ammount Of Mayday Middle , And Certain Ammount Of Eli Bottom. And is it possible that if the genetics are soo controlled it would over power the carver or eli genes and other genes that may be in there. (*(Answer)*) Yes And No There Are Many Ways , But You'd Have To Test And See. Is it also possible that with time, you could actually bring a bloodline thats almost dying out back into action? And Yes Alot Of These Dogs Are From Some Starting Dog And Are Some What Common , You Could Bring A Bloodline Back But Only The Person Who Made It Could Tell You If It's The Right Line Or Not. I Hope This Helped.................lol I Didi My Best In Working It Out.

4. nc_pitbulls

nc_pitbulls Big Dog

there may be better opinions up here i'm not the best , but i like to help even if it helps a little...................

5. XxKonnectionsxX

XxKonnectionsxX Top Dog

Thanks for your input nc_pitbulls. You're the only one who has responed so far. Was it hard to understand what I was trying to say?

6. nc_pitbulls

nc_pitbulls Big Dog

not really i just took one question at a time but i know what you mean. with all the info what you are tryin to do is possible just that Alligator/Mayday Would Be On Top , But The Eli/Carver Will Be On Bottom So The Alligator Would Domonate.

7. TO ANSWER YOUR QUESTION LETS GO BACK TO THE ORGIN OF ALL BREEDS. BEFORE PHYSICAL CHARATERISTICS SEPERATED EACH BREED A BEHAVIORAL GENE SEPARATED THEM FIRST. THOSE WHO DEMONSTRATED PREPERED TRAITS WERE SELECTED AND BRED IN A CONTROLLED BREEDING PROGRAM. BY CULL AND SELECTIVE BREEDING WE HAVE THE DIFFERNET BREEDS WE HAVE TODAY. NOW FOR ARE BREED, IN THE BEGINING DOGS THAT DEMONSTRATED THE DEISRE TO FIGHT WERE SELECTIVE AS PREFERED STOCK. YEARS AND YEARS LATER WE HAVE THE DIFFERNET BLOODLINE WE HAVE TO DAY. NOW YOUR QUESTION SEEM MORE DIRECTED TO PEDIGREES THAN TRAITS. YOU MENTION CAVER A BREEDER OF DIFFERENT LINES. ELI A DOG, ALLIGATOR A DOG, AND MAYDAY A DOG. ELI, ALLIGATOR AND MAYDAY EACH DEMONSTRATED DIFFERENT TRAITS THAT MADE TO VAULEABLE TO BREED. CARVER ON THE OTHER HAND OBSERVE THOSE TRAITS AND ATTEMPTED TO COMBINED THOSE TRAITS TOGETHER IN ONE DOGS. NO AS FOR AS BREEDING AND GENETICS GOES. EACH DOGS HAS 50% OF IS GENETIC MATERIAL FROM THE SIRE AND 50% FROM THE DAM. WHICH SHOULD BREAK DOWN IN TO 25% FROM EACH GRAND PARNET. BUT BECAUSE OF GENETIC CROSS OVER, WHICH MEANS, THAT THE TWO SET OF 39 PAIRED GIVE TO THE OFFSRING FROM THERE PARENTS YOU GET A VERY DIFFERNET GENETIC COMBINATION THAN ACCEPTED. IDEALLY EACH DOG SHOULD RECIEVE 25% OF THE GENETIC INFORMATION FROMT THERE GRAND PARENTS BUT THAT ISN'T THE CASE YOU CAN RECIEVE ONE HALF TO NONE OF THE EITHER GRANDPARENT GENETIC INFORMATION IN THE SECOND GENERATION. SO A GRAND SON OF MAYDAY CAN VERY WELL NOT HAVE ANY GENETIC INFORATION MATCHING MAYDAY'S GENE. SO THERE FOR IN THAT DOG EVEN THO HE/SHE IS A GRAND CHILD OF MAYDAY MAY NOT HAVE MAYDAY GENES. REASON BEING DURING MEIOSIS, WHICH IS A POINT IN WERE THE DNA IS BROKEN APARTED AND PUT BACK TOGETHER. YOU GET A VARITY OF COMBINATIONS IN EACH GAMETES, WHICH ARE YOUR SPREM CELLS AND OVAS. NOW KNOWING ALL THIS PEDIGREES ARE USE UNLESS THE DESIRED TRAITS ARE DEMOSTRATED IN EACH OFFSPRING AND THE BREEDER KEEP VERY DETAILED RECORDS ON WHERE THOSE TRAITS COME FROM. FROM THERE YOU CAN INBREED/LINEBREED FOR THOSE DESIRED TRATIS TO MAKE SURE YOU LOCK IN THOSE TRAITS. MANY PEOPLE LOOK AT A TIGHT BREED DOG AND SAY MAN THAT IS A NICE PED. BUT ALLIGATOR SHOWS UN 59X WITHIN 7 GENERATION AND THE DOG YOU HAVE DOGS RESEMBLES OR DEMONSTRATE ANY ON THE TRAITS THAT ALLIGATOR HAD. WHICH TELL ME THAT DOGS IS NOT A ALLIGATOR TYPE DOG. THERE IS A SCIENCE TO BREEDING AND IT IS VERY SIMPLE. IF FOLLOWED YOU CAN BE VERY SUCESSFUL IN BREEDING. FRIST STEP FIND THE DISIRE TRAITS YOU LIKE AND SEE IF THAT STUD AND GYP REPRODUCE THOSE TRAITS IN THIER OFFSPRING. NEXT CULL THE ONES THAT DONT HAVE THOSE TRAITS AND BREED THE ONES THAT DO BACK THE THE THAT HAS THE SAME TRAITS. EXAMPLE... MOTHER HAS GAMENESS(BEHAVIORAL TRAITS), MOUTH(PHYICAL TRAIT). THE FATHER HAS GAMENESS, WIND, ABILITY, AND PIT INTELL(PHYICAL TRAIT). SOME OFFSPRINGS ARE GOING TO HAVE A VARIATY OF THESE TRAITS AND SOME MAY HAVE ALL TRAITS FROM BOTH PARENTS COMBINE. THE IDEA OF BREEDING IS TO PRODUCE A PHENOTYPE THAT REPRODUCE CONSISTENTLY. MEANING THE MAJORITY OF THOSE OFFSPRING WELL DEMONSTRATED THOSE SAME TRAITS. AFTER YEARS OF CULLING AND SELECTIVE BREEDING YOU'LL HAVE YOUR OWNLINE LIKE CARVER AND DOGS THAT PRODUCE THERE OWN LINES LIKE ELI, ALLIGATOR AND MAYDAY. I HOPE THIS HELP.

8. who

who Top Dog

let me give you a short simple answer if you want a alligator/mayday dog get a mayday dog and breed it to a alligator simple as that start with pure genes and the do it but WHY? alligator dogs are already good in their own right...so why cross with an already all crossed up line?

9. XxKonnectionsxX

XxKonnectionsxX Top Dog

Damn Thanks Osiris_357. That cleared up a lot of things for me. That was some excellent information on genes. I'm into horses like that so I guess that same rules apply but I'm just dealing with dogs which throws me off a bit. I'm still learning.

I was just asking that question on a scientific level. I just wanted to get some clarification on genes and if something like that could be done.