1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

game bred????

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by cheekybabe, Sep 30, 2004.

1. From my understanding, the staffords were the first bull & terrier cross that excelled in the fighting pits. Most during the time were very small and weighed about 30 lbs. They were brought to America by the Irish and English and bred up to size, most likely due to the work required by them. When you look at old pictures of APBTs, they look identically to a stafford. Even in the Colby book, he stated Cockney Charlie Lloyd's imported Pilot resembled a stafford and at one time the APBT and stafford were one in the same.

2. GrChPitBitch

GrChPitBitch Big Dog

(i just dont agree with making dogs do any kind of "sport" which invloved violence or even aggresivness. pushing a dog to extremes for fun is terrible and not called for.)

Dont bash something you know nothing about.... "making"..?? You CERTAINLY do NOT understand gameness... there is no "making" about it.... just "allowing"...

3. bigsho

bigsho Pup

i have a little staff myself, AKC reg. excellent lines ,only five months (39lbs)and he gives my dads 80lb boxer a big run for his money(play fighting) he wont give up until you stop it. he is only a pet and will never be used for anything close to fighting but you can see he has game in his blood and I welcome it as it is not a bad trait. I have not had problem one training him or dealing with him bc of this trait. hes the nicest dog w kids n people and is being trained for shows as we speak. ill bet one day my staff wont have a problem comparing to yours as his game blood has nothing to do with it even in the show ring.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 1, 2004
  4. rocksteady

rocksteady I'll drink to that..

I know quite a few people that use staffords for agility..but as far as their gameness goes, they havent been specifically bred for it in years.

You have to remember that England is far more protective and ahead in so called "animal rights" (they banned ear croppings..not sure about tail docking) Even though Englands past has been horrific to animals (just read Black Beauty..which was a pushing point for humane treatment of horses)

And Old Family Reds which also contributed to the APBT were a seperate strain and almost a different breed of dog ..as most were "family" bred and kept tight

so ireland also played a key point in our dog..not just england!!

5. scar

scar Pup

cheeky babe hahahahaha i too am british,,but before you even start to talk about gamness do your home-work,, show bred dogs are bred as mans fashion statements,,to look good and thats it,,lookers!!!!!! gamebred dogs are bred to do what they do best,,which is work ,not stand all fancy in a show ring,,show dogs are so messed up, bad eyes hips,etc the list is endless!. ask yourself this in your dogs lifetime how many trips to the vet will you make through breeding faults? i think many times !!!!. then ask yourself how many times a gamedog will go to the vets?? NEVER!!! big differenc i think! what about you?? so dont be cheeky babe? get REAL hahaha