1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

game bred????

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by cheekybabe, Sep 30, 2004.

1. by this i assume u mean that the dog is tough and up for a fight? i dont know i'm all new to this. i live in england and own 2 KC registered staffords, both out of excellent bloodlines( Crossguns & Bullyview) our breeders are excellent but we never discuss gameness when buying a puppy. please explain why this is of such a big interest over there, i'm facinated

2. Bubba

Bubba Top Dog

Gameness is the will to continue, no matter the odds, no matter the pain, and no matter the obstacles and its the one trait that truly seperates OUR breed from ANY other breed out there.
    BB

3. swosprey

swosprey Pup

Gameness does not mean being fight crazy or over aggressive. Gameness is essentially never, ever,
    giving up, even in the face of insurmountable odds. If you were to put it into human perspective
    it's like a boxer who even though is beaten down always answers the bell. It is a mix of bravery, courage, mental and physical toughness, the ability to forego momentary pain for a greater goal.

4. surely that doesnt matter when breeding a show dog or pet. both my dogs rank very highly in the british showring. i can only make the assumption that some people on here fight their dogs, else it wouldnt matter

5. cheesehog

cheesehog Pup

wrong assumption to make

6. yea .....just think of rocky....he was game.......he would get the hell beat out of him and come back for more........."I didnt hear no bell, now get up cause micky loves you".....rocky is pure game

[If you were to put it into human perspective
    it's like a boxer who even though is beaten down always answers the bell.]

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 30, 2004
  7. ^^^ hahaha, great example.

Some people test their dog's gameness by weight pulling, others may compete their dog in hog catching.

8. rocksteady

rocksteady I'll drink to that..

far wrong assumption

Basically..as it was stated, the game trait of the APBt is what seperates it from any other breed..especially the Amercian Staffordshire Terrier, the English bulldog, etc. "gamebred" does not mean the dog is actually game..it just means it comes from game lines

Gameness can be used in many dog sports.. tracking, Search and Rescue (wouldnt one rather have a dog looking for them that would never give up no matter what the condtions where???) Hunting, weight pulling...even as a best friend (countless hours of fetch, swimming, hiking..you name it the dog is there to do it)

And yes..to some it does matter when breeding these dogs. As it should..game bred dogs rank the highest in temeprment and stability. They have been tested down the lines to ensure only the healthy strong and well tempered dogs get to breed

when you breed for a look, size, color and not for the dogs soundness of body and mind you run into problems. Look at many American bred dogs like the German Shepards, Rottwieliers and compare them to their German counterparts. the "pet" american lines suffer greatly from hip dysplasia, bad temperments ..even such great family dogs as the Golden retriever has suffered because people breed to make money and for looks..not soundness, abilties, etc( natural retrieving in the Goldens) All these are working dogs..dogs ment to perform a duty, whether it be guarding, herding, police.. family companion. and with each of those soundeness of mind /body is essential.

Same with the gamebred APBT. One knows they come from usually solid lines of proven temperment, intelligence and health

9. Bubba

Bubba Top Dog

When ya ASSuME you make an ass outta u and me ;-)
    Hell show dog people SHOULD be concerned if there dog is game, show dogs are conformationally sound animals, but are they true to the breed? If you are showing a bulldog and its not game, guess what, its NOT true to the breed then either...
    BB

10. what a load of crap! anyway remember one thing bulldogs and staffordshire bull terriers( including pitbulls) are BRITISH, we breed the finest there is in the world. why do u think the pit is a banned breed over here, coz it's full of flaws in other words bred to fight, unlike it's predecessor the stafford

11. zombie106

zombie106 Big Dog

First off, this is America. We took the Staffy Bull and made it better (APBT). Second, I heard they were banned becuase of back alley ghetto ass street fights. If you want to argue about which country breeds the best dogs, just remember that the majority of people on this forum are from the US...so you are going to loose the debate.

12. X

X Banned

Well... for beginners, such an argument will not be taking place :)

13. Texasbulldogs

Texasbulldogs Top Dog

GAMENESS – the will to win a fight exceeding his will to survive. No other animal or breed of dog will continue his attack in the face of imminent death; the will to survive takes over and they will abort an attack and seek to flee.

“anyway remember one thing bulldogs and staffordshire bull terriers( including pitbulls) are BRITISH, we breed the finest there is in the world."
    FACTS state otherwise!<O:p</O:p

“why do u think the pit is a banned breed over here,”
    I don’t know, why don’t you tell us since ya’ll breed the “finest there is”? It was banned because they were not breed nor managed properly. It takes more than a male and female to make quality dogs.<O:p</O:p

“coz it's full of flaws in other words bred to fight, unlike it's predecessor the Stafford”
    Why were they “flawed” if ya’ll bred the finest? The only flaw this breed has is the “idiots” that it attracts at times. You never seem to hear about a “game-bred” pitbull attacking and/or running loose. It is always some street bred imitation that some idiot has that causes all the trouble and bad-press. The individuals that have quality dog know how to properly contain and care for them. They are not the one’s breeding for NO reason, letting them run loose, and raising human aggressive dogs.<O:p</O:p

14. Bubba

Bubba Top Dog

LOL and why are you on this board?? Seems like you are just interested in arguing...
    BB

15. AC

AC Big Dog

Ok coming to a board called "game-dog" and arguing about gameness LoL what is the world coming to?

16. 7645

7645 Pup

Ummm, I don't know much about BSL in Britain, but I would be willing to wager that the dogs were banned over there for the same reasons they are in certain places here. Chiefly, a few negative incidents involving dogs which may or may not have been pitbulls fueled by a media frenzy that in turn catered to a largely ignorant majority's fears.

It's certainly nothing new to the States. In the 50s, the demonized breed was the GSD. The 70s saw the Dobermann Pinscher become the vicious breed of the moment. Rottweilers were the media's devil dog of choice in the 80s. Now it's the APBT.

If I were to hazard a guess, tomorrow it will likely be a Mastiff breed such as the Presa.

Point being that this has much more to do with people than dogs.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 1, 2004
  17. GrChPitBitch

GrChPitBitch Big Dog

I agree with you 110%!!
    [​IMG]

18. GrChPitBitch

GrChPitBitch Big Dog

I dont want to get a tongue lashing, or end up putting my foot in my mouth... buuuuttt....
    werent "staffords" bred for gameness, be it fighting or going to ground after badgers and other vermin?
    werent the origional fighting dog brought to america from scotlin... ireland... and england... and werent they "staffords"?
    I aplogize if you do not enjoy our breed cheeky, but I do enjoy yours... And Ive been told that your breed can be just as game as ours.... Dont be a hater!! LOL I enjoy and participate in confirmation... with pit bulls of course... but i do agree, gameness should be a major factor in this breed....

19. i dont hate pits, completly the opposite, i just dont agree with making dogs do any kind of "sport" which invloved violence or even aggresivness. pushing a dog to extremes for fun is terrible and not called for. my dogs are exercised regularly to keep them in condition but not to extremes

20. Bubba

Bubba Top Dog

Congratulations, you are helping strip these dogs from their nature and helping destroy the breed by pushing it further and further from its true characteristics. Do folks buy Retrievers and expect them not to retrieve?? Do folks buy hound dogs and expect them not to chase prey into the trees?? Sure hope not...
    BB