1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Gamblers Delight

Discussion in 'Breeder Discussion' started by Thunder98, Aug 8, 2015.

1. Thunder98

Thunder98 Big Dog

What are you guys thoughts on these types of dogs? Also would you include these types of dogs in your breeding program? All fictional accounts will be appreciated.

2. Naustroms

Naustroms CH Dog

What type is that?

3. slim12

slim12 Super Moderator Staff Member

I doubt anyone would use "Gambler's Delight" as a breeding factor. The fact they accomplished said goal would be the reasoning. The object of winning far outweighs the winning of money, as dumb as that sounds. Even for people who are all about the money one has to win in order for it to be about the money.

A Gambler's Delight is never a goal to own but it more like a bonus if it turns out that way. S

4. bluedoglover

bluedoglover Top Dog

"fictional"?

5. babedulce

babedulce Big Dog

I think the term his mental tongue was grasping for was "hypothetical" LOL

6. ELIAS'PISTOLA

ELIAS'PISTOLA CH Dog

the hank dogs will show all sorts of funny signs and are not for those who lack heart, as cur handelers have quit more of these dogs than the bulldog quitting...

what about the almighty cur snapper, are they considered a gamblers delight???

the two masters hargrove and ratliff thought so when they rematched into bich boy billys grandchampion spikey, but to no avale...spikey beat both thier champs...
    ONLINE PEDIGREES :: [1620] :: <B>BEACH BOY BILLY'S SPIKEY (5XW)

7. Thunder98

Thunder98 Big Dog

Great response fellows , I stated fictional because I hope this forum is all fictional....you know. Anyways this type of dog will make bad signs through out rolls and schooling but never under any circumstances quit. No matter what, may whine a bit, plays alot of defense, tail not in air as should be and or wagging. No matter he keeps coming!!! The eyes and mind screams cur, but is he. Is this dog game? Can u win or loss with him? Do they include this crap in a line...would you. I mean the true trait is never to stop, under whatever circumstances they are to keep going ..to win. Pistola that's a good example. You know what I'm talking about. Would you breed theses dogs? Man I dunno maybe there just for the box...

8. Thunder98

Thunder98 Big Dog

Snap Billy's Spikey, I like the way he was breed....oh no. Not chinaman /bolio tombstone. Lol.. My favorite oh well.

9. ELIAS'PISTOLA

ELIAS'PISTOLA CH Dog

Thunder, do you know what a cur snapper is???
    I once read about a killer that whined when he wasnt where he wanted to be, but once he got there he left little opertunity for the other one to counter-whine...
    Another was obedien trained and waited in the corner till the five count on his handers demand as it fit his style of slow scratching and he would side step and grab an ear... But the further it got and the handeler would send him in fast true and hard... the dogs name was d.r.'s d.r. or doc from the dominican republic and beat a chrage from stone city p.r....

10. Mudville_Monsta

Mudville_Monsta Top Dog

I once heard a tale about a female who was called a gamblers delight. She wouldn't get going until around :30. Would be in hold all the way through but little to minimal work. Right about the time the pace would slow she was warming up, and it seemed as if the longer it went the stronger she got. She was said to be a very durable, rough, and naturally winded dog whom came down from such traits in her ancestors. Now some may of called her a slow starter, but those who are said to have seen her may call her a gamblers delight. As by the time she was getting started all kinds of wagers would of more than likely stacked up against her, very few saw her, yet she hung amongst the of some experienced men. Those who knew her style definitely appreciated her & it. But who knows if this tale is true, as lots of doggers are liars anyhow.......lol

11. ELIAS'PISTOLA

ELIAS'PISTOLA CH Dog

Good one Muddville...

12. OsageDogman2014

OsageDogman2014 Big Dog

Was it the obedience trained dogs turn to scratch or it's opponents turn?

13. ELIAS'PISTOLA

ELIAS'PISTOLA CH Dog

Not sure but Id say both to make it sound better...

14. OsageDogman2014

OsageDogman2014 Big Dog

Can't be both......most don't understand or know cajun rules.

15. ELIAS'PISTOLA

ELIAS'PISTOLA CH Dog

From what I understand from duing my research on the subject so when I write these fictional stories so they sound legit is...
    No matter whos turn to scratch, when the ref says release or what ever both dogs can go but its only up to the one whos turn it is to take hold in the time line...
    I never practiced it but find it interesting and drill who ever I can get to tell me something...
    Please osage tell me something different or as you interpret it...

16. Wally123

Wally123 Big Dog

They are only gamblers delight to the folk who knows how they behave, I certainly wouldn't put my money on a dog that looked suspect. I think the way a dog carries its tail is the tell.

17. slim12

It falls into the art of handling, knowing your dog and then having a feeling of how things are on that particular night.

After scratching is started the dog who the scratch is on must come across and take hold. The non-scratching handler has the option to hold his dog to make him come all the way, hold him until he knows the other is coming or releases immediately to quick handle and get his scratch out of the way.

Once upon a timein a made up world a guy made up a story about this very thing. A GrCh Virgil/GrCh Mayday dog was in a scratching contest with both sides already scratching 6-8 times apiece. The handler thought it best to hold his the Virgil/Mayday male and make the other come all the away across. The corner man with many years of experience kept saying let him go to bust the other in his own corner and force him to finally quit. The handler didn't listen and eventually won after making the his 11th scratch. The experienced corner man thought it would have been over sooner if more pressure had been applied.

Two different thought processes from the same camp. S

18. slim12

Once upon a time in another made up world there was a guy who had his opponent in quit mode and when the scratch was on the other guy he let his guy loose. Kept the story going. He did that twice which turned a 30 minute win into a 1:30 minute gathering because making a handle was hard with two very active combatants.

Just at the end of that extra hour the police ran in and all of them were arrested and the next scratch made was from the police car to the station on the 6 o'clock news. Getting your dog out of there the quickest way possible has a lot of extra benefits as well. LOL.

Read these stories in a magazine somewhere. S

19. Mudville_Monsta

Mudville_Monsta Top Dog

That there Slim is right on point. For more than one reason you want in and out.....with the W of coarse....lol.

Wally exactly....only those who know the said Gambler's Delight will feel comfortable backing said type.

20. Thunder98

Thunder98 Big Dog

Great post people. Yeah Pistola, I know what a snapper is lol. And Wally your right, only the camp with the GD will know. And by all means get this $#!+ over with like Slim suggest. Anyway, the only way I could see them being effective is scratch time. The opponent thinks he has a quick win, a friend with the GD screams $$$$ on the scratch, as he has made so many bad signs surely he won't scratch. He scratches every single darn time, takes extra scratch money and leaves laughing....