1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Gainesville, GA & Fayetteville, TN

Discussion in 'Laws & Legislation' started by diva, Apr 3, 2007.

1. diva

diva CH Dog

Gainesville, GA & Fayetteville, TN

Humane Society aims to ban practice of chaining dogs
    Gainesville, Georgia

A chained dog is a danger to itself and to everyone around it.
    That's the view of the Humane Society of Hall County, which is seeking to have the practice banned locally.
    Humane Society president Rick Aiken made a presentation to the Gainesville City Council on Thursday morning, hoping to persuade them to pass an anti-chaining ordinance.
    "Obviously they had some questions, but I was real pleased with the response," he said afterward. "We focused on the safety issue, because that's something everybody can understand, even if they're not an animal lover."
    Aiken said Hall averages about one dog-bite case per day, and he cited a Centers for Disease Control study showing that a chained dog is three times more likely to bite someone.
    He also addressed the beautification aspect.
    "The city doesn't let you park a car in the yard because it ruins the grass," he said. "Yet chaining a dog in one place wears all the grass away and does just as much damage from an aesthetic standpoint."
    Several metro Atlanta counties, including DeKalb, Cobb and Gwinnett, already have some form of anti-chaining law.
    Gainesville Mayor Bob Hamrick asked Aiken to provide copies of other ordinances for the council to study.
    Mayor Pro-Tem Myrtle Figueras questioned whether Gainesville needs a new law or if simply educating pet owners might suffice.
    But Councilwoman Ruth Bruner seemed to feel an ordinance is necessary.
    "I think if people are going to chain their dog up, they just don't need a dog," she said.
    Aiken said he also plans to approach the Hall County Commission within a few months to request a similar ordinance.
    Gainesville City Manager Bryan Shuler said if both governments ban the practice at the same time, it might make enforcement easier and less confusing.
    If laws are passed in Gainesville and Hall, it will be part of a growing national trend. Adam Goldfarb, spokesman for the Humane Society of the United States, said more than 100 communities in 30 states have adopted such ordinances, "but there's a lot of variation in what they will allow."
    Some towns, for example, allow owners to chain dogs for short periods of time. But Aiken is pushing for a total ban. "It would be hard to enforce if it were limited to a certain number of hours," he said. "It needs to be all or nothing."
    Tara Mitchell, spokeswoman for a PAWS Atlanta, a private, no-kill animal shelter in Decatur, said she was glad DeKalb County passed its ordinance two years ago.
    "It's had a huge positive influence," she said. "At least with the law, if someone calls and complains about a dog that's tied up, there's something animal control can do."
    Aiken said Hall animal control frequently gets calls about chained dogs, but as long as the dog has adequate food, water and shelter, the owner can't be cited for anything.
    Wednesday, Banks County officials announced plans to charge Randall Morgan, a Jackson County Sheriff's deputy, with animal cruelty after four chained, dead dogs were found on his property near Homer. But Morgan's alleged crime is starving the animals, not chaining them.
    Goldfarb said local governments are beginning to recognize that chaining in itself is cruel.
    "A dog's well-being isn't just physical," he said. "The main problem with chaining is the isolation. Dogs are social animals and need to be with people. Some of these owners treat them as if they're nothing more than living lawn ornaments."
    Deprived of social contact and stimulation, chained dogs typically become neurotic.
    "They tend to be very territorial, and they also develop aggression as a way of defending themselves, because they can't get away if they're threatened," said Goldfarb.
    That makes these dogs especially dangerous if they get loose. "Sooner or later, a chain breaks, and then it's a threat to the entire community," he said.
    Goldfarb said more than 70 percent of the dogs involved in fatal attacks are non-neutered males.
    "When you put a dog like that on a chain, it's a setup for tragedy," he said. "And so many of these incidents involve children who wander within the dog's reach."
    Goldfarb added that people who engage in the illegal sport of dogfighting usually chain their dogs deliberately to make them more aggressive.
    "Chaining is the confinement method of choice for fighting dogs, so by eliminating chaining you can also cut down on dogfighting," he said.
    Chaining can also leave a dog with physical and mental scars that never quite heal.
    "We've had dogs come into our shelter wearing outgrown collars that have become embedded in their skin," said Mitchell. "And many chained dogs are so unsocialized that no one wants them. I adopted a dog who still has behavior problems as a result of being tied up."
    Aiken doesn't see the point of getting a dog that's going to be left outside all the time with no human interaction.
    "Why have a dog if it's chained 24 hours a day, 365 days a year?" he said. "That's a form of torture."
    Some owners might argue that chaining is their only choice if leash laws don't allow them to let the dog run loose and they don't have the money to build a fence.
    But Mitchell said that's not an excuse. "If you don't have a fenced yard, then you walk him twice a day and keep him indoors the rest of the time," she said.
    "That's where a dog wants to be anyway, with the family."

*Robert L. Hamrick
    Mayor
    770-532-1690
    citycouncil@gainesville.org

*Myrtle W. Figueras
    Mayor Pro-Team
    770-532-0960

*Ruth Bruner
    Council Member
    770-532-7207

*George Wangemann
    Council Member
    770-534-5861

*Danny Dunagan
    Council Member
    770-503-0084

*Bryan Shuler
    City Manager
    Bshuler@gainesville.org

*Tim Merritt
    Assistant City Manager
    Tmerritt@gainesville.org

Fayetteville, Tennessee
    BSL passed in Fayetteville, TN

Heads up bull breed owners in Fayetteville, Tennessee.... your constitutional right to due process is being violated!

After reading a very vague article this morning regarding a new ordinance in Fayetteville, I contacted Kevin Helms, the city administrator for Fayetteville. BSL has been passed, and it targets bull breeds. It is based on a modified version of Denver's ordinance. (However, any dog can be deemed dangerous and be subject to the same regulations if it exhibits dangerous tendencies.

The suggestion to research and implement BSL was at the request of the local humane society.

City Administrator Helms advised that after meeting with several resident pit bull owners, the city is considering additional modifications to the ordinance, including relieving owners of the insurance requirement and lowering the registration fee.

Because the ordinance is based on Denver's, I advised him that Denver animal control issued a statement in December 2006 that their ban has little or no effect on the number of pit bulls in Denver. I also advised him that in Tennessee, dogs are considered "property" and, therefore, subjecting owners to regulations and penalties by deeming their dog dangerous without the benefit of a hearing is a violation of due process.

Mr. Helms advised that at this time, there are no plans to remove the breed specific language from the ordinance. I don't know that educating the city would do any good, but perhaps it might be worth a shot. They seem to be listening to their citizens in modifying the law, so... never hurts to try and contact information is below.

The ordinance goes into effect in 90 days.

If you live in Fayetteville or know a bull breed owner who lives there, or near there PLEASE encourage them to challenge this ordinance!

Jodi

*Kevin Helms, City Administrator
    helmsk@fpunet.com

*Steven Broadway, City Attorney
    sbroadway@fpunet.com

*Gwen Shelton, Mayor
    gshelton@fpunet.com

*Joe Askins
    Home 931-433-5990
    Courthouse 931-433-2556

*Richard Bolles
    Home 931-433-8123
    Work 931-433-1607
    Courthouse 931-433-2556

*Harold Bradford:
    Home 913-433-4374
    Courthouse 931-433-2556

*Carolyn Denton
    Home 931-433-2513
    Work 931-433-1234
    Courthouse 931-433-2556

*Dorothy Small
    Home 931-433-4825
    Work 931-438-7595
    Courthouse 931-433-2556

*Walter Sloan
    Home 433-4017
    Courthouse 931-433-2556

2. NOLEFAN

NOLEFAN Guest

Re: Gainesville, GA & Fayetteville, TN

But Councilwoman Ruth Bruner seemed to feel an ordinance is necessary.
    "I think if people are going to chain their dog up, they just don't need a dog," she said.

I don't think this lady is thinking at all. Whats next, the councilwoman decides that if we aren't going to drive our hotrods all the time then we don't need them. They can make all the laws they want, I will never be governed by this kind-of imbecile.

3. Old Timer

Old Timer CH Dog

what i was surprised to read was how they don't let you park your car on your lawn.since when did that go into play.on something like that if you own your own property you should be able to have it however you want,including having a dog contained properly.it is just getting worse and worse in this country i swear in 20 more years we will not even resemble America because as it stand right now we are not like America should be we are more like a communist europiean country.

4. chloesredboy

chloesredboy CH Dog

"The dog should be walked twice a day then kept inside the rest of the time"WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!WHAT FREAK!

5. Attila

Attila Guest

Rick Aiken is a damn idiot. Why does he have nutts if he isn't going to use them for something useful other than an ornamental cause.

6. Re: Gainesville, GA & Fayetteville, TN

I dont understand this at all. They have already proven that chaining a dog is not any unhelthier than kenneling so why do they presist.

7. laurajean

laurajean Top Dog

It's the "big lie" theory, Sedalia. Repeat a lie often enough and people will tend to believe it...
    I'm with you, Old Timer, about not being able to park your car on your lawn...I think people should be allowed to do as they like on their property, including parking cars on their grass. Otherwise why have property?
    Everyone here knows that there are people who abuse dogs by chaining and tying them up. I've seen it here in my town, poor dogs tethered in the hot sun with no water or shade...and I do feel sorry for those animals, but I also realize that tethering a dog is not proof of cruelty to the animal. Anyone who tethers a dog in their front yard in a town, though, is stupid, risking the dog and passersby. The dog to teasing by anyone who passes and children are at risk of attacks. But I hope that no one in pit bull community does anything that stupid.

8. Michele

Michele Guest

these people are on drugs......you can't cut down on dogfighting by eliminating chaining.

These politicians need to focual on their REAL job and start arresting drug addicts, rapists, burglars, dog ABUSERS, and enforced tougher laws with regard to this.

9. Turner

Turner Big Dog

Yay for our government!! They are almost suceeding in taking away yet another right!!! :rolleyes: Yeah those people make as much sense as a some one entering a mule in the Derby!! They sure are hopeless...