1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

From chain to house pet 8month old pup

Discussion in 'Training & Behavior' started by usmc.reaper357, Sep 2, 2012.

1. I haven't had a bulldog in 7-8 years now but opportunity has presented itself that I am once again getting a gyp, question is how many have made pets out of some from our yards. I've never done it, I have had as many as 25 on chain in the past but have never let one in the house unless it was an emergency. The gyp is a Bo/Honeybunch-Tombstone/bolio. Thanks in advance!

2. gh32

gh32 CH Dog

I've got one in the house right now that was on the chain for 2 years,she's doing good as long as I take her out once in a while. Some dogs will adapt to it well,and some will drive you crazy,depends on the dog.Try it and see how your dog does is the only way to tell.

3. Damion

Damion Pup

my pup was in a kennel outside for that long ,he s livin inside since i got him, house breakin was a lil harder but he s doin great now i just try to keep em tired and stand by my rules .best of luck man.

4. lol I was thinking the same I run all the time so I do plan on keeping her tired.

5. Vicki

Vicki Administrator Staff Member

I started out with a kennel inside. She kept her kennel clean, and had longer spans of time outside the kennel, inside the house with success. She's housebroken now, and can also enjoy the day on the chain.

6. I had a bitch lived on a chain for 8 1/2 years before I got her. Lived the rest of her life inside and loved every minute of it. Died 3 days short of 12

RIP Gigi I still miss you

7. sadieblues

sadieblues CH Dog

I got one who was an outside chain dog for the first 4 years of her life .. When I got her she became a house dog lol.. It was kind of funny watching her adapt but she did it with ease. I think the funniest part about the whole transition was teaching her to walk on a lead when I would walk her to use the bathroom she used to run around in circles on the lead like she was out on the chain and get tangled around me lol. After a few months though she stopped doing it. She's gotten adjusted to a crate and she loves being inside and get's to sleep with the kids and she is now fully housebroken, loves to ride in the car which was not the case at first for awhile she used to get car sick really bad. The most important thing is YOU will have to spend a lot of time with the dog it takes a lot of work to house break a dog completely. But it can be done what you put into it is what you will get out of it. Good luck to you.

8. Dream Pits

Dream Pits CH Dog

Most can become house dogs, some will test your patience more than others but I have found that they usually prefer being outside anyway.

9. sadieblues

sadieblues CH Dog

I have a few that just prefer to be up my ass 24 7 no matter where they are one really couldn't care less where it sleeps but the other three are in my lap or following me around the house all day long these dogs I have found hate being anywhere but close by me or the kids never seen anything like it a dog that has to be on top of you all the time lol.

10. sega

sega Big Dog

Mine lives on the chain n in the house does just fine, sadie I had a baby chicken I found that was like that it would follow me everywhere, this thing would follow me thro a highway for real, always within inches from my feet lol pretty funny. The house dog killed it one day, sucked as I kinda got attached to it

11. sadieblues

sadieblues CH Dog

Yeah it's one of those things you have to see to believe sometimes it's almost overwhelming how much attention I get from these dogs lol .. My kids don't even require that much attention. But the dogs seem to really need to be around me all the time. My male sleeps cuddled up to me in a fetal position every night like a baby with his head on my chest. My female sleeps on my feet it's crazy lol. The other two will sleep next to the kids.

12. Zoe

Zoe CH Dog

I've done it. One thing that helped the transition was to put in an inside tie up using a heavy duty eye hook screwed into a stud in the wall so they aren't running around getting themselves in trouble and learning bad house manners by default when I was preoccupied but didn't want to crate them. I'd set up a dog bed there, give them something to chew so they weren't chewing the wall. lol Some transitioned very easily. Some not so much. lol

13. okcdogman82

okcdogman82 Top Dog

i bought an eli bitch back in 01 from a guy in gainsville tx the bitch had mange real bad she was 3yrs old and he said he was tired of dealing with iti gave his ass 85 bucks and took the dog papers included. i was livin in an apartment in dallas so i took her to my cousins house til i took her to the vet and got her fixed up. after i got the mange clear i picked her up on my two days off from work and she did ok didnt like being in the crate thou so i put her in there for short time periods. after my two days off i went back to work i worked the night shift came home the next morning the police had put a noise disturbance notice on my door went inside and the bitch had chewed threw the fuckin crate and broke three teeth in the process and destroyed my fuckin apartment i mean the bitch musta went crazy in there i had to replace the couch and the bedroom and bath room door. i sold the bitch to my kinfolk for a 100$ and she lived the rest of her life on the chain. i bought an 8week old red nose gyp and raised her in the house just fine. never again did i try and bring a grown dog into the house unless they were already a house dog the way that bitch scratched into my couch fuck that first and last time for that shit.

14. Zoe

Zoe CH Dog

I had a dog that WAS a house dog from day one that did that same kind of damage! Separation anxiety sucks! lol She literally ATE her way out of my house. :rolleyes:

15. BullDawg

BullDawg Big Dog

as mentioned every dog is different. once she gets used to the new routine and what's expected of her you should have few issues. i've found it to be as difficult the other way, as well. once they get used to staying inside, enjoying all the attention and new comforts, they then have to be dragged into their spots at times!

16. John Galt

John Galt Pup