1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Fresh,chilled & frozen

Discussion in 'Staffordshire Bull Terriers' started by Finito, Jul 8, 2011.

1. Finito

Finito Big Dog

Fresh,chilled & frozen

Anyone have any experience or thoughts on this.
    Especially like to hear on anyone who has/had any frozen. In's & out's,fertility %,costs etc etc.
    Pretty sure a lot of lads would like the opportunity to put a good female across her long dead gr-sire or similar. The way the staffs are today,i think it is a case of would you or should you,regarding getting something frozen before it is too late.
    I think it is a good tool which is there for all to use,if you are serious about the staffs & the future of them.

2. Nash

Nash Big Dog

Re: Fresh,chilled & frozen

I've done a litter with frozen. UK policy was just to much to wait for. Besides there can be more than one mating done with just taking two samples. I've heard about a few attempts not taking, it's very high in costs than especially when your from overseas. What they charge for the containers to ship the frozen semen in is ridiculous. I believe it's a smart thing indeed to freeze some stuff before it's too late.
    Where are you from ?

3. old goat

old goat CH Dog

in the US it cost around $500 for the first time . then after that it's $280 each time . you can get 1-5 breedings on 1 freeze . it all depends on the health of the male . you can look online to buy your own shipping container . if you want the breeding to take or have a better chance that it will take . is to surgically implant it . then all the work is done and you just sit back and wait . only 1 breeding for me did'nt take and i had the vet clean her ovaries and then next heat she gave birth . she was 9 at the time .

4. Nash

Nash Big Dog

Uk price for collection x 2 and evaluation and freezing was 290 pounds. Hiring container was something from 70 to 100 pounds one way, so double that cause you have to pay the return of the container. Had the luck sharing that and shipment.

Check the site.

http://www.ukclone.co.uk/

5. Finito

Finito Big Dog

Nash,so the cost would possibly double or even treble if it was the case of using two parents from different countries ?
    Same country you are saying 290 plus insertion ? Is that the only cost or have the same tests to be given to the female also ?
    So roughly,for the price of a well bred staff pup you could go the A.I. way & use a stud from overseas or use that old dog who is long gone.
    Or freeze some of that semen from a fertile male for 290 & only have the yearly fee to pay.
    Not something i am thinking of as i don't have any staffs. Just wondering.

OG,how does that price go down after the 1st ?
    1-5 breedings on a single freeze i'm assuming is total semen collcted from one collection ?
    Am i right in thinking that there is only two ways of inserting frozen. Obviously different prices.
    Does frozen lose it's fertility rate,the longer it is frozen ? If so,then how long can you expect to store & use successfully ? For instance will TG be breeding Frisco pups in 50yr time.
    Bit similar to last question & i'm hearing you on the semen being tested for fertility rate before being frozen,but does it keep that rate while frozen,or is it rated again before insertion ?

6. old goat

old goat CH Dog

well i have 3 year old dogs from a freeze done 20 years ago . if the male is healthy and you take him say before 8 years old . you can get 1-5 breedings on 1 collection . or you could get just one . omega 3 vitamins will bring up the sperm count . the price goes down because they don't do all the test they did when you first bought in the male . and you also have 1 year storage in that price .there is 3 ways they insert the semen . but if you want pups for sure you need to do it surgical . the other ways you may miss it . frozen will lost alittle mobility but not much . they say you can have semen for 100 years but they don't know for sure . they only started using frozen in 1986 . like i said i have dogs from frozen and it was collected 20 years ago . and i had 9 pups on the first breeding and 7 on the second . the female will be the one with the eggs . she's very important .they will look at the semen again before insertion . but you will be ok .

7. Nash

Nash Big Dog

Hope this answers most of your questions.

8. Finito

Finito Big Dog

Sure you cleared up a lot of things there OG in such a short post.
    25yr since they started is interesting. Has it kicked off with working dogs as yet ?
    Pretty sure the show brigade will be much involved.
    Are you happy & do you look back & wish you got more collections froze ?
    Hope your insight has worked out well for you !!

9. Finito

Finito Big Dog

Sure does Nash. Thank you

10. Nash

Nash Big Dog

Amazingly long time. Is the process of freezing and defrost the same as is was 20 years ago ? It just amazes me that it doesn't get done that often.

11. old goat

old goat CH Dog

i'm very happy with what i did to collect what i need . wished i would have collected more on the first dog i did . but it's way to late . the freezing and defrosting is almost the same they just have better equipment to use . you will smile when you see pups that look the same as the dad 20 years ago . working dogs are froze to .

12. carstylez

carstylez Pup

must it be kept very carefully? like in exact conditions and within a certain (i assume insulated/refriferated?) container? for example could one ship frozen overseas without going through all the companys and the costs? cause theoretically insertion etc can be done oneself, with enough reading etc. Seems theoretically would be much less obvious than importing a stud dog, especially into countries where the importation of certain breeds isnt allowed?

13. old goat

old goat CH Dog

you can buy your own shipping container . google it . and if you don't surgically insert it then your chances on a older bitch will go down . i always have it surgicallt inserted . i'm not taking the chance of something going wrong and lose the breeding .

14. carstylez

carstylez Pup

yea nah good point, especially if the studs been gone for 20 years...fairly difficult to come by again lol

15. Saiyagin

Saiyagin Chihuahua

Yall know that chilled and Frozen semen are two different methods right?

16. old goat

old goat CH Dog

yes !!!!!!!!!!!!!

17. old goat

old goat CH Dog

chilled if you don't live to for you can take it yourself on the plane . frozen you need to get a handler .

18. Saiyagin

Saiyagin Chihuahua

Chilled semen is basically fresh semen kept cool. It is easier to ship chilled semen as you can do it all on your own with dry ice and can be shipped priority mail within 1-2 days. Most times you will need the extender solution to keep the chilled semen viable for a longer period of time.

Frozen semen is basically what it sounds like frozen ice cold semen that will require a special liquid nitrogen container to keep the frozen semen frozen while being shipped. This procedure is a lot more costly and complicated and is usually done by a vet. The special container costs around 1k but you will be reinburst the 1k once you return the container back to them, but that is alot of money to put up front.

19. old goat

old goat CH Dog

yes i know chilled is fresh and it needs to get it in the bitch before 24 hours or use the extender . camelot sells the shipping containers . they're not much . and thanks for the info . i bought chilled back from europe . it's only a 10 1/2 hour flight and you can bring it on board with you or you can get them to ship it . i like to see where it came from so that's why i would pick it up myelf . so you know that it came from the stud you wanted . thanks again saiyagin

20. carstylez

carstylez Pup

could one ship just warm semen? i realise it'd become less and less effective the longer it has travelling but doesnt the average ejac contain somethng crazy like 200 million sperm? assuming that humans and dogs are around the same..even if you lost 90%, with the extender and with surgical insertion fertilization should still be possible right? so one could hypothetically travel to america and back to NZ with it? or maybe even fast postage?