1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

free feed water?

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by Mr.lee, Oct 25, 2008.

1. Mr.lee

Mr.lee Big Dog

do you guy free feed water to your dogs? like have a buck with water for them all the time in the kennel or next to the chain spot ...
    thanks

2. KuttersKru

KuttersKru Top Dog

I don't personally know anyone that doesn't

3. SPFDOGS

SPFDOGS Guest

Is this a serious question?.
    Anyone who's animals dont have access to water AT ALL TIMES is a neglectful owner..

4. Mr.lee

Mr.lee Big Dog

will i always have a 5g buck water for them but winter is coming... ever winter i would end up with ices blocks in my backyard from crushing the ice from the bucket ever day...i was just wounding if their is a easier way...

5. cutt

cutt CH Dog

I have the same prob in winter time, I dont mind ice blocks in the yard, it has to melt eventually. In the end , we always refill with fresh water like most of do and then we cont. to do the same routine again.

Cutt-

6. brat pack

brat pack Top Dog

Don't they make heated water buckets? I know they do for horses. Just wondering. They probably cost a lot anyway.
    I have a 100gal waterer outside but they all have their own water bowls inside in their rooms and crates.

7. SPFDOGS

SPFDOGS Guest

During the winter months when the water buckets freeze I break the ice and add new water 2x a day, and dump out totally frozen buckets probably every 2-3 days..
    Is there a easier way?.I guess you could get an electric water tub (one where the water never freezes) but these have to be plugged into a outlet, and having extension cords on the dog yard could get tricky..Kennels in a barn is a different story..I bet the electric tubs would work quite well in a barn..
    Starting in mid Oct. I start putting weight on the dogs to enable them to be comfortable during the harsh couple of months ahead..When the temps get so low that the water starts freezing, I add 30-40 oz of chicken broth to their feed as well to ensure that they are well hydrated..

8. performanceknls

performanceknls Top Dog

I don't leave water in the crate because they are not in it all day and have no ware to go potty if they drink too much. With that said......

I have about 8 dogs runs outside and have the same problem in the winter. You can try not filling the water bucket to the top maybe only 1/4 full. Dogs don't generally drink as much in the winter so you can put less in the bucket. I also bring in my buckets at night before I go to bed so they don't freeze over night. It's a lot of work to bring them in but not as much work as taking out the ice and filling them back up.

Heated buckets would be nice but then I would need extension cords and the buckets are expense if you have multiple dogs to water.

9. Mr.lee

Mr.lee Big Dog

yea i been looking at the heated bowl but it seems i can only fine the small bowl like at pet smart....where my dog might knock it over and get wet in freezing temps, which is no good

10. bahamutt99

bahamutt99 CH Dog

Not really a fair generalization to make. I have had to regulate my dogs' water intake at times, because they'd drink a whole bunch at once and then piss on the floor, or in their bedding overnight. My young dogs have been known to drink themselves sick if left with free access to water, especially during periods of play or exercise. As it is right now, with my dogs being in different rooms of the house during the day, they have to get a drink from the water bucket in the kitchen when I take them out every 4 hours or so. I take them out for potty, and then they get to drink when they come back inside.

Maybe it's different for dogs who are on chain spots or in outdoor kennels during the day and can relieve themselves whenever they feel the need. Some dogs and some situations have different requirements. I certainly disagree I am a neglectful owner because my dogs have to wait for set times to get a drink.

11. Pit Bull Pride

Pit Bull Pride Big Dog

Well, as far a our dogs go...we regulate the water intake. They will drink and drink and drink and drink.......jus cause it's there, lol. So yes, we do limit intake. With my 5mth old pup, she gets her water during the day, but after 6pm, I pull it because this helps aide in her being potty/crate trained.
    I'm not neglectful by any means. :cool:

12. chinasmom

chinasmom CH Dog

My daughter had a trainer advise her that dogs should be given water when you give food. When I went for a visit, I felt sorry for the two dogs. I ended up giving them water at night.:p Soon after that, Jordan came to live with me and be my dog and he got all the water he wanted.:D

13. Flipside

Flipside CH Dog

When I did feed kibble I always gave a cup of water with there kibble. Helps with digestion better and the dogs don't have a hard time swallowing.

YIS

14. clmr

clmr Big Dog

First off, I feed and water twice a day. Prior to the winter months, I up the fat content in their kibble, and we feed a little extra kibble, an extra half-cup to cup depending on size and look of the APBT. During the winter months, we add warm water to their kibble, during each feeding. We use a 2 quart bowl for water during the winter months, resulting in smaller ice blocks in the yard. We always use warm water for the dogs during the winter months. Never had a problem thus far, and if one seems to not be drinking enough, I'll do a quick check to see if the dog is dry or not. If the dog is dry, I would bring it in the house, and observe the dog a little closer, if still dry, I would take it to the vet Immediately. I've NEVER had to even bring one in the house. I hopr this helped.

15. MOOT44

MOOT44 Top Dog

I bought a gallon bucket from TSC I believe. It is heated and the bottom is even WEIGHTED so tipping won't occur. It was only 30 bucks. I am in Michigan and it gets cold as hell here and there was never ice in it all winter long. OBVIOUSLY, you need an extension cord to run to the bucket.

As far as water, 1 of my dogs has access to water all day. He is 6 and won't pee in the house. The other 2 are crated from 6am-3pm w/ a smallllllll amount of water in their crate. From 3 pm to about 6am the next morning they have access to water, as much as they want

16. Mr.lee

Mr.lee Big Dog

their are some nice idea on here thanks
    hey andrew where you get your heated buck from? whats tsc?

17. SPFDOGS

SPFDOGS Guest

You think they drink, and drink, and drink just because its there?.lol..You think maybe they are thirsty?.Regulating a dogs water?.lol..Hey to each his own I guess..People have different views on what is neglectful, and in my opinion any animal that doest have access to fresh water is being neglected..:cool:
    As far as crate training pups go..I have kept pups in wire cages, and they always had a water bowl attached to the side panel..These pups werent being crate trained, but none the less their pups in a crate..

When the original question was asked the first thing that popped into my head was dogs on a yard with no water, and/or dogs in crates with no water..I seriously didnt even consider the petbull owners that keep multiple dogs inside a dwelling..I guess if you have a house dog(s) that has a problem pissing on the furniture it would be ok to "regulate" their water intake, but besides that, I cant see how withholding water is a good thing..
    These are just my opinions, but what do I know..

18. Pit Bull Pride

Pit Bull Pride Big Dog

Well, i've also been a Vet Tech for 13 solid years, but hey, what do I know :cool: To each his own is right. The dogs DO have access to fresh water every day. As far as my pup goes, if I was to leave water in her crate ALL night, she'd wake up with a crate full of urine, as she is LEARNING to hold it still. All my dogs are happy and healthy, get annual exams and vax, and an annual cbc/profile just to be sure everything internal is functioning ok, as well as a dental IF needed. But yeah, I guess my dogs are neglected.....:rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 26, 2008
  19. WWII

WWII Banned

Any idea on how to keep water from freezing without the use of ext. cords?

20. SPFDOGS

SPFDOGS Guest

Your a VetTech eh?. Who cares..I was kennel partners with a VetTech for years..What does that prove? Do you think that because you are a Tech that you are more knowledgable than us simple folk?. Give me a break..

I simply gave my opinion on what I feel is neglect, and people start to catch feelings..Oh well..