1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Florida thining of banning pit bulls

Discussion in 'Laws & Legislation' started by PIt4life, Aug 2, 2006.

1. PIt4life

PIt4life Banned

Florida thinking of banning pit bulls

I posted this on the BSL group, so I hope you don't mind the cross post. I just need some help, and I'm looking to all the pit owners I know for it.

There was a pit attack in Central Florida last week, and it now has everyone talking about banning pits. The first govermental group to act is a local city council that is 'investigating' its options and what other cities do.

Here's my question. According to Florida state law, local communities can't have restrictions based on breed -

767.14 Additional local restrictions authorized.--Nothing in this act shall limit any local government from placing further restrictions or additional requirements on owners of dangerous dogs or developing procedures and criteria for the implementation of this act, provided that no such regulation is specific to breed and that the provisions of this act are not lessened by such additional regulations or requirements. This section shall not apply to any local ordinance adopted prior to October 1, 1990.

HOWEVER, Miami-Dade County has BSL. How do they get away with it? Is there some loop hole? I just want to make sure it's not a loop hole that other local groups can get through as well. Can someone please help me understand this so I figure out the best way to fight this current movement for BSL in Central Florida.

AND IF YOU LIVE IN CENTRAL FLORIDA -
    The Ocala City Council is the one currently investigating it's dangerious dog options, including BSL. Here is a link to what was presented to the council last night.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 2, 2006
  2. Unfortunately, they can do whatever they like......thats whats so scary about it. You never know when you are next, and how much it will cost you in the long run....They have laws like that in a lot of places, but that doesn't can't. don't and won't change them! It is a shame, that all of our dogs and all of us have to always go through this.....:mad:

3. chrisgr212

chrisgr212 Big Dog

very wll said southeasternpits

4. Grim

Grim Pup

You have got to be kidding, I would not give up my dog no matter what. A friend of mine went down to Miami to purchase his 'hippo' it only makes people think there is even more reasons to hate pitbulls when such bans take place. Is there anyone working to fight it at this time? Dumb question I guess

I am in central Florida and am pretty concerned

5. GSDbulldog

GSDbulldog CH Dog

I'm in Tampa, & will be doing whatever possible. The supposed ban in Hillsborough county was SHOT DOWN before it even had chance to begin. Hopefully the same will happen again.

Wasn't it a poodle that was attacked though, in Deltona?

6. PIt4life

PIt4life Banned

The attack that just happened, was a mom and her pups, i think the dad and mother dogs attacked the 80yr old man... and killed him. Thats the most recent, and i think thats what pushed Central FL(where i am).
    I will do everything i can, if it doesnt stop as soon as it started... no one is takeing my dog away.

7. apbtluver

apbtluver Top Dog

Re: Florida thinking of banning pit bulls

They can't ban them. Aside from Dade and Broward who were grandfathered in, any other county can't as it conflicts with the states leg. We have discussed this a number of times in my various classes. I also have an email from a media report who confirmed this for me. The thing you have to worry about is the state making changes when the new gov. comes into play.

8. laurajean

laurajean Top Dog

Can you repost the link to what was said at the city council meeting? It did not work in your original post...

9. PIt4life

PIt4life Banned

the link doesnt work for me either, im not sure... site might have been closed down.