1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Flirt Pole

Discussion in 'Sports & Activities' started by NCPatchwork, Jun 2, 2007.

1. bradyFL

bradyFL Big Dog

horse lung whip??

2. Read the flirtpole section at this link http://www.workingpitbull.com/springpole.htm for a discription of a "longe" horse whip flirtpole set up. People get really wrapped around trying to get an extravagant set up for a flirt pole. Really, the flirtpole has been used for hundreds of years by people raising many different types of dogs that need to exhibit prey drive (ie pointers, all types of terriers, etc.) and as a conditioning tool. A long pole, a long line, and a piece of cloth, hide, etc. to chase. It is usually not used as a tug of war device, and a horse whip will be more than sufficient.

From http://www.workingpitbull.com/springpole.htm (good info even though most of you despise Diane Jessup)

History: The flirtpole has a long history as a dog conditioning tool. Reference to flirt and spring-pole devices can by found in literature as far back as the mid 1800's.

Here is an example taken from a booklet on "Sporting Bull Terriers" by Eugene Glass published in 1915. Here, describing how to train a dog for a rat killing contest, he has this to say about the flirt-pole:

Speed is the main thing to train for, but the dog's bite should also be trained, so that he will be a sure killer. I will give my method for taking off fat and producing speed, at the same time developing the bite. Ten days is plenty of time to condition a dog for a short ratting contest.

For the first day's work give your dog a run of five minutes on the training machine [Editor's Note: jenni or treadmill] follow this with the "fishing pole" work for about the same time.

...After you have taken off your dog's extra flesh, work him entirely on the fishing-pole and spring-pole. Arrange the coonskin at such an height that the dog's forefeet are off the ground when he has a hold of the coonskin. You may work him twice a day, if you think it desirable; but if you adopt this plan don't work him too long at a time. Occasionally work him on the fishing-pole by leaving the coonskin on the ground all the time, pulling it back and forth and around, exercising him to turn and snap quickly, as he will have to do in the rat pit. A grass lawn or sandy ground is the best for this sort of work, so your dog will not hurt his feet.

The flirtpole is still used for the conditioning of dogs to be fought, however, it is finding increasing favor with those who value their dogs as companions and pets. Also, the flirtpole is fun for any breed of dog which has reasonable prey drive or playfulness. Terriers in particular enjoy it.

[​IMG]
    Here is a typical "longe" line. Cheap and disposable.

Construction: No need to try and buy a flirtpole - it is easy enough to build your own. You will need:
    • A "longe" whip from the local farm store. The longer the better. If you can't find one, buy one HERE. For an expensive, really long one, click HERE.
    • A piece of jute, burlap, a sock or a rabbit hide.
    Tie your "bait" to the end of the whip. Make sure you have no metal or other hard objects anywhere near where the dog will be biting.

[​IMG]
    Here the rabbit skin is tied to the end of the whip.

Use: The flirtpole is excellent for tiring out your dog when you don't have a lot of time or space. Say, when traveling, and you want to let her her yah yahs out before you bed down for the night. A relatively small grass or dirt area + one flirtpole = one happy, tired dog.

As part of a daily exercise program, the flirtpole lets the dog twist and turn and work on eye/mouth coordination good for Frisbee, springpole, schutzhund and ring sport. IMPORTANT: Letting an out of shape, stuck-in-a-shipping-crate-all-day or stuck-on-a-chain-all-the-time dog have a go at a flirtpole is a good way to blow a knee or tear ligaments. Use common sense when working your dog.

Remember that dogs love to chase... don't swish the bait AT the dog, but away from the dog. If your bulldog has no desire to chase, try a different bait. Try tying the dog up and having it watch other dogs. Or realize that your dog may have low prey drive and get over it; but DON'T think that hitting the dog in a teasing manner, or flipping it in their face will make them want to chase or bite at it - it will have the opposite effect.

Remember to always put your dog away WANTING MORE! If you over do it, they will not be as thrilled to work it the next time.

Repair: In order to be long and light, flirtpoles are flimsy by nature. They are going to break. That is why I advocate buying cheap longe whips. You can reduce wear and tear on your flirtpole by primarily using it to keep the bait away from the dog - in other words, not as a tug-toy. When the dog catches the bait, go with the dog, and don't pull against them too much. When working puppies, obviously you can pull a bit, in fact you want to, but with adult dogs, you will soon snap the pole. One trick: keep the pole angled straight at the dog when they have the bait, don't play them like a fish.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2007
  3. yea thas wat i use very fast action pact workouts i have the long one u need room to operate otherwise itll get caught on trees

4. Dtwo

Dtwo Big Dog

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Someone said "pictures". . .we have the whip types and tied to it is a bit of stuffed monkey, lol.
    Length of time depends on the dog and their condition - work em until their tongue looks like this:

[​IMG]

5. PorsA

PorsA Big Dog

I like to condition a dog with the flirt pole. You get a realy good workout in a couple of mins. I use a bambo stick (like a fishing pole) with a elastic rope (for sailling use) and the hide attached to it. I always keep the hide at the ground the first couple of times and don't let the dog jump to high. I start with sessions of 5 min and add mins every week. I always flirtpole an a soft ground like grass so the pads didn't get damaged. I now have a problem with keeping the hide out of the dogs mouth. They get to quick and have to get them of with a saftystick:)

6. Well.....I can tell you have experience with this kind of work out....howmany times you been bitten before you figured out not to hold the bait...LMAO
    thats the ONLY way it could happen....LMAO

As for the rest of the thread...
    we have the whip as well...I dont like that much though..I like the PVC pipe....and would prefer the skinny metal...rather aluminum rod over the PVC...but thats just me....I do like the PVC over the whip though....
    better hold and stronger for those moments when you let them have it....