1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Flirt Pole

Discussion in 'Sports & Activities' started by NCPatchwork, Jun 2, 2007.

1. NCPatchwork

NCPatchwork CH Dog

Hi everyone,

I just recently got the hide to make a flirt pole so I made a couple. My question is, I want to add flirt poling to my conditioning workout. For those who use it or have used it, was it worth it? How long and often did you use it? How long before you saw results?
    Pictures would be wonderful
    Also, what other things are you using to work your dogs? (Dead weighting, swimming, mill, etc?)

PP

2. OnionHead

OnionHead Big Dog

I hand walk drag weight and carpetmill them. i did the flirtpole a bit, but i didnt like it really. when using it got to make sure your dog is cut right when working it, cause if not it will tear their pads up good. JMO

3. i got some tips for you

1. 4 miles on a bike a good steady pace no need to ride the dog into the dirt and try to keep your dog running on grass or soil to save the pads on the feet

2. weightpull, weightpull and weightpull nuff said

3. i have an explosive speed technique i use but you gotta email for that

4. using a toy tire from the pet store i find better to use for spring pole work it develops a stronger bite due to the fact the tire is thicker than a hide and not as plyable

5. and sand runs if you are near a beach use the loose sand not the compact sand near the water

4. WWII

WWII Banned

It's one of the best and easiest tools to work a dog. The constant stop and go action will build nice, lean muscle and help improve his wind.

I found that the spring pole works more of the neck and chest than it does the bite.

5. jeeperino

jeeperino CH Dog

Warm the dog up before doing the flirt pole, a few mile walk/jog is nice. I like to make my poles very long (10-12 ft) so I get more snap and its easier to keep the dog off the hide. I will work the dog while on the chain with the pole so he has a lil weight resistance but not much. I work the dog 4-5 time a week on the pole for 5-20 mins depending on how the dog is looking. Once he starts getting a lil clumsy or slowing down I let him get the hide then I give em a rest and work another dog. Ill then come back to the dog after his rest and work him for a bit longer to see how fast he recovers. You will see results in less than 2 weeks if u use it on a regular basis. The workout doesnt improve mouth strength (nothing really will) but it improves agility and mouth speed.

Make sure you tie a TIGHT knot on the hide and pole. If that knot isnt tight the dog will take the hide off the pole and mess up the workout. You also need to be handy with a breakstick when doing the flirtpole, some adult dogs will give you a HARD time giving back that hide.

6. Chef-Kergin

Chef-Kergin Guest

Aubrey tore up her jolly ball (see pics in gallery).

Last week, I got a 10 ft pvc pipe, 20 ft of 1/2 inch rope, and tied it through the pole and the ball. There's about 5 ft. of slack.

It works GREAT. Easy to keep her jumping, sprinting, and when she does catch it in the air or on the ground, she has to get a decent grip on it to hold on as it's a little bigger. It seems to help her paw/eye/mouth coordination more than anything.

I've been lettin her at it no more than 10 mins a day. She gets a brisk walk before and after. Talk about a quick workout. It's nice to use to get her heart beating real good and her lungs moving. She's still a pup, and it's been 90+ for a few weeks here in OH so I don't like to walk her too long.

I have yet to try a hide, as it'll be a bitch to pry her off of it. I'll wait until she's a little older before she starts goin after fur.

*edit* - like jeep said, using the long pole makes it easy and gives me plenty of time to snap it out of her path.

7. jaystreetsA4

jaystreetsA4 Top Dog

anyone know an online palce to get PVC? home depot in the big city of dreamsdoesnt carry it. they told me " to get pvc pipe you have to go to home depots outside NYC" lol most hardware stores carry it too thick.

8. lowes has what you need for $1.50 for 10ft. i cut it in half and use a 10 ft rope run through it. that way i can hold the rope on the bottom side and pull it as the dog is about to catch it.

to the OP. flirt pole work is a damn good workout IMO. the start/stop and changing directions really will build the muscles up good. when it's this hot (mid 90's) i go about 10 min. in the cool weather i would go 20.

9. NCPatchwork

NCPatchwork CH Dog

Lowe's is the best...I don't recommend going online because A. You won't really know what you are getting, and B. the S&H will be insane!

10. Tee

Tee Pup

I use a 10 foot horse whip (the one with the plastic insert) but be carful some have fiber glass pole inside once the dog brakes the stick you may want to get a new one or patch the brake.
    It has more control and you can move faster

11. jaystreetsA4

jaystreetsA4 Top Dog

yea imma look for a lowes and check it out. in NYC we got home depots and lil hardware stores but they dont carry PVC and if they do its like connection tubes that are like 2.5 inches thick.

12. Old Timer

Old Timer CH Dog

yeah a flirt pole is well worth having in your arsenal.just start off slow with it like you would anything else.

13. Chef-Kergin

Chef-Kergin Guest

I noticed something today with my pup while she was chasin it.

After she went back on her chain after her walk, today was the first time since she started playin on it that she hasn't drank water until she coughed/puked some back up. She went under the shade, drank some water, trotted around her spot, and then went and stood back under the shade just panting until she cooled down, then drank some more water.

It used to be, bring her back in the yard, put her on her chain, then drink water until she lost some, then she'd lay down panting and cough up some more...

To me so far, the best thing I've seen from using it, is she's learned to use breathing to cool down more so than chugging water, as well as to stay on her feet while she breathes and recovers versus floppin on her side.

14. The Watcher

The Watcher Till The Wheels Fall Off.

bump......

15. Pipbull

Pipbull Top Dog

I love the flirt pole, since I can't really get anything else in place right now. And I've done just about every variation on it, except hide, which I want to try for one of mine. I basically keep 3 different ones for them for variety. They are:

A) 10' PVC w/ 15' of nylon horse lead. Thread it through, tie a knot at one end. For the play end, I make a loop using a pipe clamp (those circular bands that have a screw to tighten). I use this over a knot or rope clamp because I just have to unscrew it to release the bite surface. That way, never any need for a break stick and easy to replace the bite surface. For the bite surface, the best I've used so far is burlap. It's not the sturdiest, but it's cheap, easy to replace, and variable. I buy a roll at Home Depot and cut sheets of it, which I roll it up and seal it with duct tape at each end and the middle. I then loop it through the rope loop on the pole and make a ring by taping the ends together. Good for making long sweepng passes, but very difficult to keep away from a fast dog. Distance is they key, and I usually just use it to make myself into a jenni by swinging it in a circle over my head.

B) 5' PVC w/ 7' of nylon horse lead. This is my favorite, basically the same design as above. Just being shorter, it gives me a chance to get into the yard with my dog and make quick sweeping motions. Still has enough give for tugging but is sturdy enough to stand it, unlike the above design, in which the pole tends to bend if you don't work it right. But this set up is by far my favorite.

C) 5' PVC. I just take an extra large drill bit and bore a hole through the top, about an inch away from the end. I then take some burlap and roll it really tight on one end, which I tape lightly and run through the hole. Then I knot it up and tape it, leaving the end of the burlap loose and frayed to get the dog interested and to trail him. Gives me a lot of control in moving it real quickly. But for this one, you really gotta run with the dog. But I love doing that, so it's all good with me. :D Definately NOT a tug toy, since the dog may bite near the actual pole and could jerk it to where it could spear them in the head. Just for chasing, great for quick darting.

Just something to keep in mind, this is not an exercise to start a dog on. Any excess fat needs to be worked off and lots of walking/running to build him up. Fetch, too, to keep and build that chase drive going in him and to work them out. I've definately had awesome results with this tool, plus, my dogs love it like crack! You wanna get on an easy surface for them, grassy yard is the best. I've been having trouble lately since my dogs have torn up most of the yard, since they tend to kick up a LOT of dust when we use it, which ends up in my lungs and the dogs.

16. dogman2007

dogman2007 Big Dog

good exercise for the dog but watch out if not used properly u can get bitten by the dog.

17. Pipbull

Pipbull Top Dog

Huh? How? The only time I was accidently bitten was complete stupidity on my part, by making him chase the bite surface that I was just holding in my hand, at night, and the burlap wrapped around my hand. Dumbest move ever on my part, it hurt like hell, thank god the dog didn't bite all the way once it hit my hand.

18. A full grown dog? I wouldn't want any of that! I used to let my pup play with those cheap plastic children's balls that they sell at wal-mart, etc. It was at one point too big for him to get his mouth around, and he got good exercise chasing after it. THat all changed the day his bite was hard to pop it...it picked up the plastic remains, and was letting him jump up after it similiar to a flirt pole, and my dumb ass was holding it from the inside...chomp! That bite hurt so bad. He knows not to bite humans, but goes all out on toys, etc. Once he realize he bit my hand he lt go, but that was very painful...and only a 3 1/2 month old pup. I won't, and Im sure you won't make a similiar mistake again.

19. Pipbull

Pipbull Top Dog

yup, almost full grown. Hurt like a bitch, but again, he didn't bite down all the way, so I got away with just being sore for a day or two and feeling pretty dumb about it.

20. mansch

mansch Big Dog

why dont you try ordering a horse lung whip and using it?