1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Flea dip

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by njchmin, Jul 11, 2005.

1. njchmin

njchmin Big Dog

Has any one dipped thier dog in kerosene as a flea treatment? My brother in law uses 1 cup of kerosene to 5 gallons of water and dish soap to dip his dogs in. He says thats what the vet told him to use. I havent tried it because im afraid that its going to bother my dogs skin or that they might ingest it.

2. Scotsman

Scotsman Top Dog

Damn that's Ol' School!! The kerosene will not mix well with the water. If you use Frontline it can last up to 2-3 mos. for flea protection. Advantage is pretty cheap and last for a month. Dips only last for 1 week, 2 at the most, and are pretty toxic to begin with.

3. TabDogs

TabDogs CH Dog

I personally have never heard that...Nor would I poor any flamable substance on my dog...I couldnt imagine a vet telling someone to poor kerosene on their dog????!!! If they do they are a quack...lol

4. GameKid16

GameKid16 Big Dog

If you do use the kerosene, dont forget to tape the no smokin sign to his tail, LOL

I always use frontline

5. 440rider

440rider Guest

GET A NEW VET! Go out and get some frontline drops!

6. RIVES PITS

RIVES PITS Top Dog

I Use Happy Jacks Kennel Dip 1 Every 2 Months Works Great. Try Using Insecticidal Cow Ear Tags For Your Dog Just Staple The Tag Or Zip Tie It To Its Collar You Can Get 25 For About 15 Bucks

7. Bubba

Bubba Top Dog

Frontline sucks, haven't had much luck with it. We spray with a 10% pymethrin mixed with some mineral oil, touch of rubbing alchohol, and water, spray to the dogs, the yard, and the dog houses. Works well.
    BB

8. 440rider

440rider Guest

Bubba how often you treat your dogs with that? Frontline has seemed to work well for us the only prob is our dogs roll around and try rubbing it off, we get it for free so I havent tried anything else but advantix and that's too oily. I'd be interested in trying that mixture how much is "a touch of" "and some"? tks

9. DryCreek

DryCreek CH Dog

Gives a whole new meaning for firing up your dog lol

10. Will Power

Will Power Big Dog

just buy some frontline plus from your vet. they will jump right off and its good for a month

11. Bubba

Bubba Top Dog

The oil is what helps it STAY ON the dogs. We apply it once a month.
    BB

12. Will Power

Will Power Big Dog

A sales Rep came to my clinic on post, they said you can give your dog a bath 2 hours after applying front line and it will still work.

13. njchmin

njchmin Big Dog

Ive used frontline, advantage, advantix, you name it ive tried it. I have never had any luck with any of them. I have dipped all my animals at the same time and applied the flea stuff. Then i bombed the house for fleas and vaccummed everything over and over and they still came back.