1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Flea control for yard

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by Kristi, Apr 9, 2011.

1. cdwade

cdwade Pup

I too have had a severe flea problem this year. Have tried all the stuff like Advantix, Advantage, capstar, frontline, etc. Have sprayed the yard with everything from Lowes and Home depot that supposedly kills fleas, then dusted the yard and the dogs with 7 dust. Nothing works like it used to. Finally in desperation, I called the vet. Basically said the fleas are starting to become immune to stuff that has been used over and over. Said to try something called Yard & Kennel, then repeat in 2 weeks, and on the animals something new out called vectra. Kinda high at the vet, but found it reasonable online. That will be my next purchase. Hopefully it will do the trick. Anyone here tried either one?

2. bamaman

bamaman GRCH Dog

I am using Vectra and it works fine for me..spraying your yard works to but the key is after u spray do it again in 2 weeks because thats when the eggs hatch...if u got them really bad i would even spray again 2 weeks after that.

3. ATEXAN

ATEXAN Big Dog

I had a flea infestation recently due to nature and weather. Permethrin can irritate some dogs skin and they will break out. After trying all sorts of things and even hiring a professional company (who couldn't kill them with 3 different trips; I got a full refund) finally a buddy of mine shared this with me.
    First pick up all water and food bowls, take out bedding from houses and open them up. Then bath the dogs. After that apply Bayer. Advanced or Bayer Tree and Shrub (not the feed) in between the dogs shoulders. 5 months old and up. Make sure the first ingredient is Imidacloprid (same active ingredient in K9 Advantix) dose 1/4 cc per lb(the strength will be .72% or 1.47% compared to 9.1% in Advantix. Remove dogs from the yard.
    I used a 32 oz water hose attachment and filled it up with Shock chlorine the kind sold at a swimming pool supply company. To the Shock I added 2 cap fulls of Bayer Advanced complete insect killer ( only because I couldn't find Bayer Tree and Shrub).. Then I saturated the yard (spraying 3 ft up any wooden fences if you have neighbors). Spray under and inside dog houses.Repeat the process until entire yard is sprayed. Let dry 2 to 3 hours or until dry. Then I mixed 1 part diatamaceous earth and 1 part 20 mule team borax and covered every chain spot. After that I sprayed each chain spot down with regular water. Next I immediately went back and spread a 40 or 50 lb bag of salt per chain spot and covered up the borax/ diatamaceous mix. I used red cedar chips in all the houses sprinkled with Sevin Dust 5% on the cedar chips. The next day if it doesn't rain go back and spray chainspots down with water

If you have a flea infestation and follow this the fleas will die, the larvae will die and the eggs will die. Make sure to wear goggles and a dust mask and clothes you dont mind getting bleached.

4. Most pet owners suggest that you first remove all signs of flea infestation from your pet before paying attention to the house or yard. Since the dog/cat is home to the adult fleas, it’s best to kill them off to prevent further eggs laid. Once that is done, you can start paying attention to the flea larvae and eggs. If you want to be sure though, treat your pets before and after treating the house/yard. Using long-lasting flea treatments such as a collar/oral/drip treatment would also be a good idea.