1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

First dog fight, never saw it coming.

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by BostonBully, Apr 19, 2009.

1. BostonBully

BostonBully Top Dog

I screwed up big time.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2009
  2. Drake

Drake Pup

Re: First dog fight, never say it coming.

Sorry to hear that.:( At least it wasn't that expensive. Hope the lady doesn't try to do anything more. Especially now gotta always be careful. Like they say once they do it once all the ob goes out the window. I would think you could probably get off actually but at least its taken care of and done, hopefully. Obviously your dog is trained and heeling on a short leash. While hers just runs up to him on a long line. At least you got him off quick. I've had to do that many times and its the hardest thing to get him off. Good luck with training sorry to hear your story.

3. BostonBully

BostonBully Top Dog

Re: First dog fight, never say it coming.

He was heeling perfect all day but something about this dog that made him upset. I will continue with the training with high hopes because he is only 10 months. I didn't give the lady any of my information so it's over. I wanted to yell at her for having such a long lead but it would have been a losing battle so I bit my tounge and just paid out.

4. ColbyDogs

ColbyDogs Top Dog

I am sure I am going to come off sounding like an ass but here is my thought

How in the hell did you not see this coming ? Do you not own an APBT ? If you do then this should be of no shock to you that this happened. I can understand having some slight doubt that a pup would react however with your own posting you adimmitted that your dog had already been in scuffles, so how could you not see this coming ?

If your going to be placing your dog in situations that have the potential for failure then your head needs to be on a swivel and you need cat like reflexes to avoid this exact kind of scenario. It doesn't matter that her dog was on a long rope or not your dog was the one who bit hers first so IMHO it is your fault. I will suggest for the future get a muzzle for your dog if your going to be taking it out to public places, I do not know if you were in MA or NH at the time this happened but in MA most places require muzzles on our breed for this exact reason as your story. Every incident that occurs only fuels the fire, once we take a step forward its things like this that set us two steps back in the fight against BSL.

Please be more careful in the future.

5. BostonBully

BostonBully Top Dog

I agree it was my fault and you are right. I was at Hampton beach at the time so their wasn't a muzzle law. I guess I just didn't see it coming because she was holding the leash in her hand and I just didn't see the rope tied to it. I set him up to fail and I was in the wrong.

6. Lee D

Lee D CH Dog

btw, this thread should be titled something like..."i screwed up big time". i ll never understand the whole "i never saw it coming" crap.

7. SMOKIN HEMI

SMOKIN HEMI CH Dog

Hey Boston just learn from this. I will tell you this though brother I wouldn't have given that woman a damn thing. Not with a leash that long. See she is somewhere now thinking that she was right and you were wrong. I would have been like oh well. The same thing happened to Hemi. I was with Hemi an Justice (my carin terrier) outside minding my own business and out of nowhere my neighbors pitbull sprints out of the house after justice. Oh it was on Hemi got into that ass. I told them that they needed to keep there dog contained better. She was like I might have to take him to the vet I was like oh well. I almost had to whip her boyfriends ass he come out there with an attitude. Like I said bro it is all good just beware of your surroundings.

8. BostonBully

BostonBully Top Dog

I went to the vet with her to make sure her dog was ok and she was actually apologizing to me because of the length of her lead. My dog did the biting so I felt obligated to pay for it all. She was a very nice woman and it was just a shitty situation for both of us. Her dog got some antibiotics and an anti inflamatory but was walking fine when we left so I felt a little better.

9. SMOKIN HEMI

SMOKIN HEMI CH Dog

Aw your dog will always do the biting trust me. These dogs are either bullish,aggresive, or nuclear. Thats what these dogs were bred, for you will be paying out of the ass for everytime he wins or gets into a brawl with some ignoramous who cant control there dog properly but like I said its ok. Remember though, the first rule that you should remember about these dog is never trust them not to fight.

10. BostonBully

BostonBully Top Dog

I deffinatly wont. Thanks man.

11. ben brockton

ben brockton CH Dog

i seen this coming just a matter of time. Owners never think it will happen to them because of the OB class or they never act up at fly ball. I can say after like 15 or so years of owing gamedog that never happen to me. If i take a dog out in the GP it is muzzled . IDC what people think.

12. Zoe

Zoe CH Dog

Yup. I muzzle my boy because I *KNOW* without a doubt if a dog is in his reach, he'll grab it and he's strong enough to over power me just enough to get a little closer. No questions asked. I also AVOID walking places where I know dogs will be. If I see a dog coming, I make an abrupt turn a different way. I do alot of spinning in circles on walks if necessary to avoid even being CLOSE to anyone with a dog because I know people are friggin' idiots. The girls aren't as bad as him, but I treat them as if they are. I see a dog coming, I cross the street. I never leave home without a muzzle and breaking stick. If I see a loose dog, on goes the muzzle. Again, except for with my boy as he doesn't leave the house without a muzzle on.

13. ben brockton

ben brockton CH Dog

ZOE you do the right things with your dogs. that will keep you out of the newspaper. responsible owners dont take any chance.

14. RedNozeChamp

RedNozeChamp Big Dog

All i read was that you screwed up big time.. I always thought if i am walking my dog on a short leash and a stray or unleashed dog rushes toward us and that dog gets hurt that i am not legally accountable. Am i wrong now or what???

I always do my best to avoid that situation but in 15 yrs of owning pits ive had a few close calls. Had to grab my boy real tight lift him in the air recently because a neighbor let her whole pack of dogs loose in the front yard, they came rushing up on us during a jog, i was getting tired when she finally came out 2 or 3 minutes later to round up her dogs i gave her a good verbal thrashing. I think one of them bit my pants crazy little dogs

15. BostonBully

BostonBully Top Dog

It really wasnt that big and I had a story origionally but in the end it comes down to me screwing up so I edited the post.

I know where I live if my dog is on a leash and a dog runs up on us and gets his ass chewed I am not at fault. Same thing with if my dog is in my yard off leash and another dog finds his way in and gets messed up also not my fault.

16. pit#5

pit#5 Banned

1992 I had a 38-pound female who would bite other dogs I used a muzzle on her after I paid out $300 for a situation when I was minding my own business in a field by my self and some one approached me wavering hi and then let her dog off leash I could not grab my dog in time what a nightmare that was.<O:p</O:p
    I would figure if your dog is leashed then your not in the wrong if a loose dog comes your way, but even a dog on a long lead the law would not be on your side since it is assumed dogs are not looking to take on dogs with a vengeance otherwise an owner would use a muzzle.<O:p</O:p

17. Zoe

Zoe CH Dog

Thanx Ben. It's been almost 17 years and over 200 ''pit bulls'' have passed though my hands and so far so good. There is NO bloody way I will risk being a headline.

18. Zoe

Zoe CH Dog

The laws are the same in my area, but the reality is, it's not just about legalities. It's about preventing adding to the negative press. Ok... for example, awhile ago, I was walking my male. I saw a guy with two large dogs, one a ridgeback and the other a massive mutt of some kind. So I started to change directions when I saw them. His dogs started freaking and the big mutts leash breaks. :eek: So he comes charging at my boy, who thank DOG was muzzled, and attacks him. Of course the dog was a cur so after two seconds stopped and hesitantly returned to his owner who by the way just stood across the street doing nothing but yell at his dog dispite the fact my dog is muzzled and being attacked by his while I'm trying to hold my dogs leash AND a buggy with my daughter in it and my son is there as well. :rolleyes: Just imagine if my dog wasn't muzzled. It would have been a friggin' blood bath and we were right in front of the cop shop. Now LEGALLY, I wouldn't have been at fault, even if my dog DID get ahold of his dog, but imagine all the people who saw that and the media is SO waiting to jump on ANY story invovling a pit bull, people would have been on their cell phones so fast making phone calls to the cops, to animal control, to the paper, etc.... So regardless of whether I was legally liable or not, that would have been front page news. Actually, the reality is, the RCMP probably would have shot him. They're very trigger happy for APBT's around here and seem to like to shoot them on a regular basis. :rolleyes: You are LUCKY this lady didn't didn't call the media as it happens more than you might realize dispite ''fault''. Actually, if her dog takes a turn for the worse, she just might. I'll say it again, regardless of legalities, people don't get dog aggression and feel that DA dogs shouldn't be allowed in this society. The key is to do everything in your power to responsibley manage your dog to show that DA is managable and we are more than willing to do what it take to manage it.

There were THREE incidents here in the media in the past two weeks. Only one of the three incidents involved someone who was actually ''LEGALLY'' at fault but the two other incidents caused just as much hoopla for the breed and people started screaming for a ban, as well as a tether law, both of which I'm probably going to have to take time away from my life to fight, not that I mind, as I'll fight to the bitter end for my dogs, but I'd rather be putting my time into something positive instead of fighting off this crap because other people can't manage their damn dogs.

19. RedNozeChamp

RedNozeChamp Big Dog

Thats right Zoe i agree but does this mean i should really muzzle my dogs when im running them?? I always keep a camerphone with me when im out with my dogs so if i had to i would try to record the situation.

Im tired of people who dont restrain dogs that are not trained, other dogs who stay put on their yard porch or garage dont bother meat all. When my dogs were younger they would knock me off my bike sprinting after a bird or anything, I worked hard just to get my dogs to pass up on an animal and keep running or walking, they never fully ignore it sometimes try to slow me down but we keep on moving.

Good point Zoe i think im gona consider finding the right muzzles for my dogs for those reasons. I need one that will let them breath good with their mouth wide open like a cage.

20. BostonBully

BostonBully Top Dog

All true. I was lucky and I don't want it to ever happen again. What muzzle would you recommend? I saw a wire one that looked pretty good.