1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Fight Prevention

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by Marty, Feb 9, 2007.

1. mindogg

mindogg Pup

there is an old saying.......you can lead a horse to water but you cant make him drink

2. kaya shae

kaya shae Pup

I'll be back here in two years. You all just wait...

And let me just say, if our dogs are so vicious, then aren't the haters right?
    I cannot wait to prove every one of you wrong.

3. TripleJ

TripleJ CH Dog

Do you have any idea what hundres of years of breeding is? OUR DOGS ARE NOT VICIOUS they are dogs they have ther own mind they are bred the way they are. I dont think you really undrestand what an APBT really is do you think you could scould a deer hound to stop running deer? do you think a bird dog wont want to hunt bird just for you? Some times the will is stronger than your voice, E -collors or even fist. Do more reserch please or it may not take 6 months befor your back. Get a few strattion books start there. I really hope you are right though But what if you are not? Thats all we are saying. J

4. If you have read them, you have obviously not understood them. This breed is not new. The articles you may have read are referencing standard bred dogs. Just because it looks and barks like an APBT does not make him a dog bred to standard. There is a huge difference.

Just because it looks like one does not mean that it is one.

You do not hear of many if at all because most people DO NOT own true-to-standard dogs. The people in the USA have corrupted the way breeding pure bred animals such as the Rottweiler is conducted. Today, many of the Rotties bred in the USA do not compare at all (other than looks) to those bred and culled in Germany. This statement holds true for German Sheppard dogs. Law enforcement throughout the country gets their K-9s from Germany bred, raised, and culled stock because USA stock is mediocre at best. The USA and German stock may look identical but nothing else.

I hope so because otherwise you will be a detriment to our breed and culprit of another example of how our dogs "are vicious" to the public.

NO, not all dogs have a trigger. In fact, our dogs (standard dogs) only need to see an animal for it to get to that point. Wait, no, they only need to HEARD another animal for them to seek and destroy. It may sound harsh but facts are facts. I hope you have a shell of a "pit bull" for your sake and ours.

No signs. Why do you think regular dogs give signs? to prevent a fight. A game bred dog does not want to prevent anything. This aggression may activate in a nanosecond.

I am sure we ALL have sweet pets. Do not confuse animal aggressiveness with vicious animal. In fact, i can assure you my dogs will lick the skin off your bones from all the loving. That said, my dogs would not hesitate to maul another dog. Education is what we need not lying to people about our dog's drive to combat.

5. It has NOTHING to do with being vicious. Our dogs ARE NOT vicious. I don't need any amount of time to figure that one out. They ARE animal aggressive. The only thing you may come to tell us in 2 years is that your dog still gets along with your female and/or other dogs. It will say nothing about viciousness.

6. RightHandImp

RightHandImp Big Dog

Case in point: I have a who-knows-how-she's-bred APBT, not papered but a very nice scatterbred specimen IMO...she grew up with my male corgi, playing etc and he would roll her and she was cool with it. BUT, not too long ago, she turned and I've seen it happen where it could have been a disaster between the two, but had a hold of her before anything bad went down, thankfully. Now they can not interact,PERIOD.

It's ignorant to think you BYB dog/scatterbred,unpapered, or papered APBT won't turn. Just asking for a funeral or a court case. You'll lose a dog, point blank.

7. RightHandImp

RightHandImp Big Dog

In regards to my last post, thats exactly how it went down...no hackles, no nothing...quick quick quick.
    Kaya, I only hope youre quicker when it does happen.

8. SPFDOGS

SPFDOGS Guest

First let me say that I hope when you come back in 2yrs you dont have any tragic stories regarding your male "pit' to recite..

Animal aggression has absolutely nothing to do with being "vicious"..This is one of the most ignorant statments I have read in awhile..If you have done some research (any research) about the APBT (or as some of our less educated members like to say "pits")like you said you have, then you would know that animal aggression is one of the traits that accompanies this breed..Failure to see this is a failure to open your eyes..

9. ABK

ABK Rest In Peace

Kaya, please let me share my story with you. When we first got into APBTs, we got big UKC dogs who are not supposed to be DA (dog aggressive). We socialized our dogs & took them to the park. They lived together & they were raised together.

But when they hit the age of 2, they "turned on" (became DA) & the sweet little pitties who were raised together, were best buds who went to the park together, rode in the truck together & played together tried to kill one another & had to be separated for their own safety.

The sad, bad fact of the matter is, our breed has an instinctual drive to fight other dogs. This does not prove the haters "right" in any way. I had a beagle who would run down a rabbit & kill it. Was he "vicious?" of course not. He was just doing what his genetics told him to. Same with our breed.

Furthermore, I would like to point out that animal aggression does not equate human aggression. Most people for example have dogs that will chase &/or kill cats, but no one bats an eye at those dogs b/c it is considered "natural" for a dog to chase & even kill a cat.

Our breed meanwhile usually loves cats, but they will chase &/or kill other dogs. This scares JQP b/c they see it as an "unnatural" behaviour & thus deem our dogs "vicious." But they're not. Fighting a dog is as natural to an APBT as running a rabbit is to a beagle or chasing a cat is to a neighborhood dog.

Kaya, you seem very sweet, but honey you are a train wreak waiting to happen. I am not trying to be mean to you, I am just trying to tell you the truth. Trust me, I was in your situtation once. I can tell you from experince that it does not matter if your dogs are socialized or if they are raised together or if they play well at the dog park. The day will come when your dogs will fight, either each other or another dog & you will really have a mess on your hands.

I know you love your dogs, so do what is right for them. Don't sacrifice them by trying to prove us "wrong." Do what is right by them & be a responsible owner.

P.S. Our dogs are not "pits." They are American Pit Bull Terriers. Other proper terms are APBT, bulldog, pittie or pit bull. A "pit" is something you cook BBQ in. ;)

Good luck & keep us updated.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 24, 2008
  10. GSDbulldog

GSDbulldog CH Dog

It's a good idea to keep a young dog well-socialized, I will not argue with that. However, a dog park is not a good environment to keep any dog of any breed socialized.

A dog park is generally a crowded, stressful place where many different dogs with many different temperaments come to play. You have no control over the other dogs; and more often than not, their owners don't either. All it takes is one incident to ruin a dog, and fights are all too common at dog parks:

http://www.columbian.com/news/local...e-dog-hurt-one-dead-after-offleash-attack.cfm
    http://video.knbc.com/player/?id=131235
    http://www.badrap.org/rescue/dogparkviolence.pdf
    http://www.myfoxcolorado.com/myfox/...n=6&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=TSTY&pageId=1.1.1
    http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/news_columnists/article/0,1299,DRMN_86_5663354,00.html

Kaya, I understand you mean well, but one simply cannot overthrow genetics. Do you intend to tell me that you can control a scent hound's desire to seek out quarry? Or a sheep dog's desire to herd?

If you want to keep your dog well-socialized with other dogs, as most pet pit bull owners should, then I suggest getting small groups of local dog owners together for "play dates". This way, it's a controlled environment with dogs that know each other. And, it's out of the public's eye if anything does go wrong...

11. ABK

ABK Rest In Peace

How true! I once had a dog who was a complete pacifist until the day he got attacked by another dog. Before that he was meek & mild as a kitten & would not hurt anything at all, to include another dog. But after that day he considered all dogs enemies. He viewed all other dogs as threats to be eliminated & could never ever be around any other dog again.

Also, something to note, if Louie is engaged in a fight at the dog park, whether he starts it or not the people trying to break up the fight will do anything they can to get the dogs parted. This will include hitting Louie with sticks & kicking him. Not only could these things hurt Louie, but they could negatively taint his outlook on strange humans for the rest of his life.

Just some thoughts.

I also like the play date idea. If someone has their mind set on bringing their APBT around other dogs, this is the way to do it, not a dog park. That way the situation is controlled & hopefully out of the public eye. But be aware, if a fight does spark, even in a play date setting a dog could become permanently DA as a result.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 24, 2008
  12. Nell_Bell

Nell_Bell Big Dog

Any special advice or precautions for someone with a apbt and small dogs? I use the crate a lot if I am unable to stand right over them every second but I still made a rookie mistake today. Fortunately, even though I'm a fat middle aged broad, I had enough 'game' to break it up quickly without damage. But i am aware I was damn lucky too....

13. pit#5

pit#5 Banned

Could some one give advice in the past I had a male female pit combo
    They more or less did get along but some times they fought. Now I have a poodle 10 pounds male
    5 month APBT 50 pounds male The Poodle and Romeo get along superb, at this time he lets the poodle be the boss some what. Now I took in a 4 1/2 month old Pit at 34 pounds male the pits seems to get along well but some mild friction does exists at certain moments , other wise they play lick each other sleep near each other but for the most part 50 pounder APBT does exhibit alpha role and smaller Pit seems to submit at this time, but I have seen a growl at the food bole from the smaller pit where poodle and 50 pounder never have issues.
    This newer Pit is sort of a rescue as the person could not keep him any longer ,this dog is a nice looking red nose type with white body and patches since I am keeping dogs as pets and not keeping them separated Does any one feel in the long run fights will occur or can they get along well , my wife feeds them all very well but I do have my concerns.

PS
    I took a good look at the above stories now I know some truths

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 21, 2009
  14. Crystal621

Crystal621 Big Dog

There will always be the risk of them fighting. They need to be separated or supervised at all times, no matter how well they get along. Also, they should be fed separately.

15. csotelo9388

csotelo9388 Big Dog

this shuld be manditory reading

16. NMWAPBT

NMWAPBT Top Dog

lol sux but she shouldnt have introduced that pit she found in that manor she needed to do a thru the fence meeting imo or somthing along the lines you dont just toss a new dog in you know what i mean you got to be super careful with pits and animals

17. yrrej

yrrej Pup

TripleJ, you are right exactly....

18. ganja

ganja Big Dog

most people around here don't understand this for the sole reason that most owners don't have dogs bred for combat.
    they are used to see scuffles between their dogs now and then, but not a full blown fight.

it's a whole other thing to witness lets say 2 labs getting into it, a bit of snapping/growling and over it is, and seeing 2 apbt's get into it, with the intent to kill, not letting go and seeing how nasty some fights can get...

but personally, I'll break up 2-3 apbt's any day over some other breed...
    most are just SO focused on the dog, everything around them becomes secondary, including their handler and I find them less likely to redirect (not all of them of course!) for that same reason.

I was walking a friends amstaff months ago and he got into it with some stray dog, man I was pissing my pants when I saw that other dog coming torwards us and getting a hold of my friends amstaff!
    growling, snapping, biting at us! I didn't even know where to start to break them up, resulting in serious injuries for the amstaff... had his entire shoulder ripped to pieces

while I had to break off my dog twice without ever having the fear of getting bitten by my dog.
    first time was around 9-10 months old (been a while lol) when he just turned on.
    3 frenchies came barking, growling and nipping at his nose while mine was on his leash and the owners didn't do shit, altough I warned them for my dog's level of DA. he grabbed one of the offleash frenchies and shook it like some toy
    that dog was a mutt but had the total bulldog attitude!
    I had to use my thumbs the same way I use a breaking stick to pry his mouth open (boyfriend took the breakstick so I didn't have it on me) and I didn't have one single scratch on me other than a blue thumb! (and that didn't came from my dog trying to bite me but just from trying to pry his mouth open)

second time he was 'chained' with a metal cord a lot of people seem to use and he bit trough it in a matter of seconds, cleared the fence and jumped onto some sharpei...
    the other owner was hitting my dog, twisting his leg to the point I feared he would break it, lifting him up etc while I tried to calm the owner down to break them up and not once did he get bitten, neither did I.

I agree, prevention is the key to succes with this breed, but like I said people don't understand that need because they never witnessed 2 of those dogs getting into it...

19. NMWAPBT

NMWAPBT Top Dog

i agree the first time i ever saw a fight it was intense i was like 13 now id break up any dog especially a pit

20. ganja

ganja Big Dog

kaya shae, you and owners that think like you are one of the reasons that the apbt is in the state it is today...
    (but I truely doubt you own an apbt but more a mixed mutt)

I've just said it on PBC today and I'll say it again:
    it's funny how people that have zero knowledge on the breed and don't own ONE single bulldog try to educate US on how to take care of the breed.
    but yet it's the same dumbass people that set their dogs up to fail at every given opportunity...

kaye shae, I pray for your dogs and the responsible apbt owners and their dogs in your community that you don't make front page news sooner or later.
    I feel for your dogs, really

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 28, 2010
    Bucky marshall likes this.