1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

female champions ?

Discussion in 'APBT History' started by dhcrew, Feb 22, 2005.

1. dhcrew

dhcrew Big Dog

i am wondering why there arent very many female dogs that are pit champions, did the dog men of old not think the girls could fight also? i have noticed that they will use a female just because she comes from game lines to breed to a proven male....as a puppy maker. did the girls not fight well? does anyone have any history on this i could read up on? it just seems that even today girls arent used for much besides showing......i dont even think i have heard of nor seen many female weight pullers nor hog dogs either? any insight appreciated.

2. miakoda

miakoda GRCH Dog

females were used, but mostly once prove, they were "retired" to breeding stock. A good female is a valuable asset to a breeding program. Also, ck out Akecheta & Miakoda as Akee was a a great hog dog & also did some weight pull but more for fun than anything else. Mia is in training for hog hunting. I've asked my bros for some pics that were taken on some hunts in TX & AR so as soon as I see them (my bros) I will get them & post them.

as to my first comment, further explanations & comments by others are needed & welcomed.

3. Saiyagin

Saiyagin Guest

Alot of old timers didnt test the females as much as the males for many reasons but soon alot of dog men started to learn there lessons and started to wise up when they realized they needed to test both the male and female to get more consistancy in there off spring. As for the comment about the females not f!@#ting well take a look at one of the all time greats female CH HoneyBunch good pit artist and the #1 producing female in History or one of the first ever females to make Double Gr. Ch. Tornado thats one bad ass bitch.

4. dont forget bb red

5. Rockstar

Rockstar CH Dog

The only Ch I've ever owned is a female.

6. miakoda

miakoda GRCH Dog

:D those are the reasons (above) why I don't mind being called a bitch. In fact, I'm a Ch. myself!!

7. Rockstar

Rockstar CH Dog

Ms. Panther, Sugar, Shady Lady, Joan, Ginger, Miss Piggy, Dolly, Game Jane, Dragon Lady, Lupita, C.P., Queen of Hearts, Crazy Annie, Shotsie, Bolero, Dama Peligrosa, Rosie, Bella, Miss Wicked... and the list goes on and on and on.

8. dhcrew

dhcrew Big Dog

why arent there many titled females in most of the peds i have looked at onhere? are they way back? and i wasnt stating that i thought females didnt fight well, i was asking if the dog men thought they didnt or wouldnt.

9. dhcrew

dhcrew Big Dog

i am glad that there was focus on the females as well as the males, but it still seems like most of the time lines are built on the males performance and not the females.

10. dhcrew

dhcrew Big Dog

also it must be stated that there are absolutely more male champions than female, i was just wondering why that is.

11. dhcrew

dhcrew Big Dog

MIA, do you have a website that i can check out these dogs?

12. Rockstar

Rockstar CH Dog

They most definitely will and they do.

13. dhcrew

dhcrew Big Dog

rockstar what was this in answer to?

14. Rockstar

Rockstar CH Dog

It was in response to your question of if dogmen felt that females didn't or wouldn't make good fighters, if I understood correctly. This thread was moving pretty fast when I posted, lol.

15. crossfire

crossfire Big Dog

a friend of mine was schooled out by M Carver and he said Carver looked at it like this. In game cocks you don' fight the hens just the cocks. Then hens are not fought or game checked they are bred to worthy cock. The hen has the same genes as the cock and are bred to produce game chickens but horomones make a big differnce in females and this may have been the way some of the older dogmen looked at it also.

16. Texasbulldogs

Texasbulldogs Top Dog

Short answer.....males don't PMS

17. dhcrew

dhcrew Big Dog

lol @ texasbulldogs.......but i would think that PMS in a fighter wouldnt necessarily be a bad thing.....LMAO i know noone wants to mess with me if im PMSing... :)

18. SpencerPits

SpencerPits Big Dog

Perhaps you could look at it both ways - some females may not perform to their full potential if their hormones are outta whack and some may perform better. Hell, some may not be affected at all, but the point to me would be that you'd never know. In any case, I don't know why you hear so much more talk about male champions than females. Good question.

19. hawk

hawk Big Dog

There is an easy explination for this. First off think about how many litters a female can have in here lifetime. If the breeder does everything properly and checks her at the correct age she may not have a litter until she is 2 to 3 years old to start her career. She may only be bred to 6-8 males in her lifetime. Now take about a popular dog like Jeep or Frisco and think about how long it took for them to have 8 gyps back up to them. If a breeder had a good producing female on his yard it would be VERY hard to get pups from this person. Let alone to let enough out to the public to start a line. I know a person who has the sire to my dog and he had a female with 5 ROM points on his yard. Do you think the general public got any of those dogs, especially in her later years? The reason it seems that more bloodlines are built around the males is they are usually bred so much anyone can by a Jeep dog and bred it to another Jeep dog and most of the general public thinks this is as good as getting the dogs straight from J. Crenshaw so the blood is popular. It's just so much harder to get blood from the top producing females and then they are not bred enough that the public can base a line off of.

Remeber two of the greatest match dogs were females.
    http://www.apbt.online-pedigrees.com/public/printPedigree.php?dog_id=122
    http://www.apbt.online-pedigrees.com/public/printPedigree.php?dog_id=158

20. True_Bulldog

True_Bulldog Big Dog

It was nothing like that, of course they can fight and are tested and some are not of course, they are selected on their breeding and bred to a good male. But a lot of females are checked, just because they don't have a title on them doens't mean they are not proven first. The reason being in all activities to do with breedability and heat cycles. You can breed a male anytime, you can only breed a female when she comes in heat for most that is that is every 6 months and for some even up to every 12 months. After the bitch proves herself she might be retired or might be matched once and then retired to be bred when she comes in and then there after. A male could be matched and could be bred whenever, of course some people won't breed a dog in keep, but still you get the picture. Having pups is hard enough work and females produce fair less pups in their lifetime then a male does. A male can probably produce 10xs+ more what females can in their lifetime.
    But a lot of time they are tested which means they are fought just not matched, incidently my dogs dam is a CH while her sire was proven but never went for a title. So there are female CHs.

In conformation shows or weight pulls well again you have to deal with heat cycles a female can't compete in heat so that can set them back getting a title. Also if you wanted to breed them you could wait until they got the title or you could breed them before they made CH with a male who also wasn't a CH yet and by the time she either gives birth or the pups are a few weeks that male could be a CH already while she was out of shape and then had to nurse pups so she couldn't be shown/pulled. You will probably see more male GR CH (show dogs) or A/A pull dogs because of this reason.
    I don't know what shows you have been to, but their are two classes in weightpull males and females (and then classes by weight), females classes for weightpull and SHOW can sometimes run smaller because of again heatcycle/pups. I know females who are A/A before they are even 18 months old and they keep on going.
    What would you call all these http://trajikworld.com/females.htm all females all weight pullers. I've also seen female hog dogs, but again in order to breed a female they have to take time out of whatever they are doing where a male can be bred one day and get back to hunting the next or whatever they are doing.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 25, 2005