1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

feeding time

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by widerange, Dec 30, 2009.

1. widerange

widerange Big Dog

i have a female that is 17 mths old and has always been a slow eater. she never eats all her food at one time. i have even went out to feed her and very small amounts of food be left over from the day before. i havent never worried bout this because she always eats and i figured it was just what she prefered to do. only now i have noticed that she eats everything out the bowl at one time. just wondering if this is something to do with the age she is and starting to mature? or could it be from her starting to go into heat because the eating and and her going into heat started around the same time? Is this way of her eating something i should worry about? i have heard that if a a dog eats to fast it can cause illness or health problems and i feel that maybe since her system isnt use to this large amount at once it would be more likely to cause a problem. if this can indeed cause health problems what steps should i take to prevent it? ill be thankful for any info anyone may have.

2. Jelet

Jelet Banned

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 30, 2009
  3. Michele

Michele CH Dog Super Moderator

4. Vicki

Vicki Administrator Staff Member

How many times a day do you feed her?

5. widerange

widerange Big Dog

i thought about using one of the brake fast bowls but i dont know anyone that has ever used one and really didnt know if they really worked.

Michele-never thought to use a elevated bowl. what are the benefits of using one?

3MTA3-ive have always feed her once a day but since she has started this i have went to feeding twice aday for the past 4 days now. only thing is with me working 2nd shift i think i may have to two feedings too close

6. farm curs

farm curs Big Dog

You can put a rock the size of a softball in the dish so they eat around it.Or feed in a large pan so they have to chase the kibble around.And your right,it's most likley her coming in to season.

7. popper

popper CH Dog

i dont think its nothing to worry about

8. slim12

slim12 Super Moderator Staff Member

My question would be did you add another dog? I have had some that ate really slow. I then added dogs around them and it was like they were going to lose out. I have a yard beagle that is like this. He will take all day to eat a small amount of food. He just comes and goes and almost free feeds himself. If I let the English Bulldog (pig) out he will gobble it all to keep her from getting his portion. Good luck.. S.

9. JRSPITS

JRSPITS Top Dog

I have one dog that inhales her food and thought about one of those bowls but before I bought one, I found that adding a cup of water to her food slows her down.

10. widerange

widerange Big Dog

i have two pits but they have always been in view of each other so im not sure if that would be it although i did move them to new spots that are some what closer so i could be wrong.