1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Feeding Table Scraps ?????

Discussion in 'Nutrition' started by clmr, Oct 13, 2008.

1. clmr

clmr Big Dog

Any one out had success feeding our loved ones TABLE SCRAPS?

2. cutt

cutt CH Dog

Im not a fan of feeding tablescraps...however red meat scraps (venison,rabbit) is on ocassion

Cutt-

3. GSDbulldog

GSDbulldog CH Dog

If I have leftover, cheap cuts of meat I'll give 'em to the dogs raw.

But yeah, I'll admit, I'm guilty of sharing food with the mutts.

4. cutt

cutt CH Dog

Sucess with tablescraps - not for me..

more like tablecraps and upset stomach. Dogs dont have a digestive track like us humans. I know they told me.lol

nah but red meat scraps (venison, rabbit) Im all for it

Cutt-

5. bahamutt99

bahamutt99 CH Dog

As a sole diet or for treats? Sole diet, I don't do that. But I usually share a bit of what I'm eating with my dogs. Not stuff like chocolate, obviously. But last night they got a little spaghetti. If it's meat or veggie, I share that, too. Loki is my designated plate cleaner.

6. chinasmom

chinasmom CH Dog

I tend to let my dogs have a bite of what we eat also, as long as it's not something I know will harm them. Never had a problem with upsets.

7. thepitpalace

thepitpalace Big Dog

My house dogs get none..other than their raw chicken, eggs, and yogurt. Don't need any explosive butt in the middle of the night.
    But I have 2 yard dogs and they eat any and everything, well almost....nothing gets thrown in the trash...it goes to them.

8. PittMan

PittMan Pup

I raw feed all my dogs and they do get scraps as treats but never from the table and never as a meal. As a trainer, Its a bad habit to instill in your dogs, and as a nutritionist, its a very good way of causing Pancreatitis in your dogs.

9. Nikita

Nikita Big Dog

Duke gets about 4lbs. of beef heart Weekly:D

And he eats what i eat :) for the most part but i do watch out for what he eat health wise other then that we do get him In-n-Out hamburgers, Jack in the box Grilled Chicken and Prime Rib at a local Roadhouse:)

Aaron

P.S he dose get Dog Food:)

10. Dreamer

Dreamer Big Dog

I always feed my dogs some of what I eat....always in moderation and never as a regular diet, but they enjoy left over meat and grease drippings, any veggies/fruits they like, gravies, yogurt, potatoes, pasta, left over sub sandwiches-- just about anything. The key is never too much of anything and always depending on a good kibble or raw diet as the basic diet.

The dogs greatly enjoy the treats.

I once knew someone who had many dogs who always kept a pot of "stuff" simmering on the stove for the dogs -- he would throw just about anything in there and had a nice soup to pour over the dogs' dry kibble at feeding time; especially in the winter.

Dreamer

11. Titch_Pitbull

Titch_Pitbull Top Dog

I jus feed em dog food

12. Michele

Michele CH Dog Super Moderator

Green beans
    broccoli
    apples (no pits)
    salmon
    tuna
    cucumbers
    carrots
    plain yogurt
    watermelon (no pits)
    pears
    peanut butter

For those hot summer months, freeze pieces of fruit or veggies in ice cube trays and give to your dogs. They will love it!

All in moderation:)

13. JBlazeRx7

JBlazeRx7 Top Dog

I cut out some meats for them but it's usually boiled chicken with some broth, but other then that raw meats maybe alittle carbs & egg's. With there regular kibble. Usually tho raw meat,egg and dog food (kibble).

14. BostonBully

BostonBully Top Dog

I never feed my dog table food. First off it isn't good for them because of all the crap in our food. Unless of course you cut a piece of your raw steak off and give it to them before you cook yours. That obviously isn't bad. Second because I don't give my dog table food he never begs. I go to other friends houses that do feed table scraps and the dog is next to you or under the table begging for some, and by some chance the dog is trained to lay down in the other room and wait they are always staring at you. That just drives me nuts.

15. Yeah I have one of those who will stare you down from the adjacent room. Broke me of feeding table scraps. Now I am all for raw feeding but just not at my feeding time. Alpha always eats first then the rest of the pack. Other than the one my wife used to feed table scraps to all my other dogs go the their kennels while we eat for they know once we are done its there turn..

16. PittMan

PittMan Pup

"
    As a dog owner, we all want what's best for our dog. With the newest reports about the proper diet for your dog, they should have carbohydrates, vegtables, etc., more and more dog owners are giving their dog table scraps without realizing that there are certain foods a dog should never have. Before you put your left-overs in your dog's bowl be sure to read the top ten foods they shouldn't eat.
    1. Chocolate - To dogs, chocolate acts as a stimulant, making your dog's heartbeat accelerate or beat irregularly, leading to seizures and even cardiac arrest. To compound things further, it also acts as a severe diuretic, causing frequent urination, vomiting, and/or diarrhea. If you even suspect your dog has consumed chocolate, take him to an animal hospital immediately.
    2. Grapes and Raisins - Grapes and raisins create havoc with your dog's kidneys and digestive system. What's worse is that the amount of grapes needed to cause problems can vary greatly among individual dogs. Symptoms include frequent urination, vomiting, and diarrhea.
    3. Onions - Onions cause the breakdown of a dog's red blood cells, which deprives his cells of much-needed oxygen. If you're in the habit of feeding your dog table scraps, make sure the dish was not prepared with onions, as the effects can be cumulative over a period of time. Symptoms can vary greatly, ranging from vomiting and diarrhea to loss of appetite, fever, or exhaustion.
    4. Macadamia Nuts - While the exact chemical compound is still unknown, even a small amount of macadamia nuts can cause fever, irregular heartbeat, seizures, or mild paralysis.
    5. Alcoholic Beverages - Dogs' physiologies are not equipped to handle alcohol consumption. They are extremely susceptible to alcohol poisoning, and even small amounts can lead to digestive problems or even death.
    6. Bread Dough - Because it is soft, dogs will often swallow the dough without chewing it. When the dough hits your dog's stomach, his body heat will cause the dough to rise inside his stomach. This rising action can cause bloating or vomiting. To compound things further, the rising action creates alcohol as a by-product, and your dog may experience the symptoms listed in the previous paragraph.
    7. Caffeinated Beverages - Similar to the effects of chocolate, caffeine is a stimulant and can negatively impact your dog's heart rate, causing seizures or heart attacks.
    8. Avocadoes- Avocadoes are toxic to many animals. The offensive chemical damages heart, lung, and other essential tissues. Be aware since guacamole's main ingredient is avocado, that you keep any such dips well out of your dog's reach.
    9. Pitted Fruits - (Peaches, Pears, Cherries, and Apricots) The pits of these fruits contain small doses of cyanide, which can be fatal to smaller dogs. Also, if the pit is swallowed whole, it may become lodged in the intestinal tract, where the blockage will have to be surgically removed.
    10. Raw Fish - Raw fish, especially salmon, can contain parasites, usually fluke larvae. The dog consumes the fish, and the larvae hatch in your dog's digestive tract, attaching themselves to his intestinal walls. Symptoms can take up to a week to exhibit and usually mimic other canine diseases, such as distemper or parvovirus. The hazard here is misdiagnosis by the veterinarian, leading to an improper or ineffective treatment. If you choose to feed your dog fish, be sure to cook it thoroughly to kill any bad critters that could be hiding inside."

17. I appreciate your posting this.

Before Remington's cancer diagnosis we NEVER gave her scraps from the table. After her diagnosis though, when the vet had us under the impression she'd only be with us for a month or two we pretty-much said "Hell with it!" and fed her whatever she wanted; pizza crust, ice cream, bacon ... I'd even let her lick the left-over bubbles out of my pint glass after I drank a Guinness. We gave her everything.

Anyway, she's still with us thank God, but I'm gonna' start restricting her consumption of scraps as apparently we thought some things were safe when clearly they aren't. It never did her any harm before but I don't want to push it.

Apples are her favorite, they're seeded, not pitted, so I assume they're okay for her. I figured they would be, I mean, they're full of antioxidants.