1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Feeding raw diet

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by nc_pitbullmommy, Jan 2, 2009.

1. nc_pitbullmommy

nc_pitbullmommy Big Dog

Does anyone here feed raw or BARF and if so what do you feed?
    Have you ever used green tripe? Where did you find it at??
    I've been wanting to switch to a raw diet but I can't find any of the things (raw meaty bones, green tripe, etc.) in this area!
    :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

2. chinasmom

chinasmom CH Dog

Local grocery stores are good for the meat and bones. Just ask the meat market manager. I get beef bones and chicken from my local Pig Wig. I hear the tripe is good, but can't find it here. I also use Salmon and Trout when I can.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 2, 2009
  3. TigerLady

TigerLady Pup

Do you have any meat packing plants in your area? Always a good source of many different meats. Farmers/ranchers? A good source for still births as well as calves/lambs/kids that just don't make it. Make friends with those people so they will call you when they have a carcass to pass along. Join the closest yahoo BARF list to you. They do group buys. You can get frozen tripe @ greentripe.com. Make nice with butcher shops in your area and ask them to save the trim for you, too! Anyone you know a hunter, or fisher? Ask for their discards.

HTH,

~Tiger

4. When I first got my dog a year ago, the lady I got him from was feeding green tripe and chicken backs, and he was FAT (just like her other five dogs, hmmm...). Since then I've been feeding elk, beef, whole fresh sardines (head, guts, and all), blueberries as a treat for the antioxidants, and a couple times a week I will throw in some kibble (Taste of the Wild). He is doing very well on this diet. His coat is dark and glossy, and with proper exercise and diet he's gone from an obese 65 pounds to a more acceptable 50 pounds, and still shedding weight (I'm thinking his ideal is 45-ish).
    The BARF diet is great, but very expensive. I've actually had better luck feeding whole animals (ie: rabbits, fish, quail, etc.), which are less expensive and just as good, but a little harder to come by.

5. roe1880

roe1880 Big Dog

That's kinda hard to find out here in NYC... Their used to be allot of butchers all around but they have all but disappeared... Now it's just supermarkets and they get most of their meat already pretty clean & can't give any of it away to people ... I've asked a couple of the butchers at these markets and they say that they are not allowed and would get fired if they did....