1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Feeding live Animals

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by Michael., May 12, 2016.

1. Michael.

Michael. Big Dog

I am preparing to start a RAW diet for my dogs. I have done some reading on what to feed/what not to feed/etc. Does anyone ever feed live chickens to their dogs? Or is that just not right? lol If so, does the age of the chicken matter? I mean, I realize the smaller the chicken, the less food for the dog. I have a friend with a lot of chickens and personally haven't ever chopped off the head of a chicken and do not really want to start now. I would prefer either buying raw, or letting the dog just kill it, as dogs do. I have NOT done this yet but wanted to see if anyone does, and if it is okay to do so.

2. Stratman

Stratman Big Dog

You should do MORE research on feeding a raw diet. Try GOOGLE or Youtube.

3. BCdogs

BCdogs Pup

I personally don't see a problem with it so long as the animals are dispatched quickly and humanely. Can't really get a more balanced diet than whole raw prey. Just make sure you're rotating proteins so they get good variety.

4. springy

springy Pup

I don't have enough experience to speak personally, but from what I've gathered I'd doubt that feeding your dog/s live is too good of an idea. Do you know how your dog/s will react? Will they dispatch the animal immediately or will the killing be prolonged? Where do you get your chickens from? I know some people freeze their (pet grade) meat like pig for a period of about a month to kill of any parasites that may otherwise infest your animal/s.

There are videos on youtube explaining (and showing) the process of slaughtering "backyard chickens". I'd advise looking at a few and reading a bit more on feeding raw before jumping to a decision. If it makes you queasy to put down the animals yourself, get in contact with someone who has experience with it and that can do it for you.
    Also, chicken, whole prey or not, won't be enough for a balanced diet in the long run. You'll want to rotate proteins like BCdogs said, and add supplements like vitamins or a small amount of greens accordingly.

That being said, I'm glad that you're considering feeding raw. Good luck!

5. Saiyagin

Saiyagin Chihuahua

I thought my eyes were going bad as I had to log in to verify if this was Gamedogsite or pitbullchat. LMAO

Box Bulldog and BCdogs like this.
  6. springy

springy Pup

I realize that I may have phrased part of my last post. Whole prey is definitely a balanced diet, however, it's important to add some variance in different proteins and make sure that you're feeding the correct percentage of meat/bone/organ. Since you're preparing the meals yourself you have to be attentive to what you're feeding: it's easier to feed too little or too much of certain nutrients when you do raw than when you buy commercial dog food. You may need to supplement with vitamins and minerals depending on the circumstance.

Again, I hope I didn't sound stuck up, it was not my intention. Good luck!

7. Michael.

Michael. Big Dog

Thanks, I appreciate it and I have done research into the meals, and what to feed. I am actually going to purchase many intact frozen rabbits. I just have a friend that has chickens for eggs, then keeps them or sells them. He doesn't eat/butcher them. I have one Bully and one APBT. The APBT I am certain would end the chicken's life within seconds. The only reason I thought that this could be an option was the fact that I had cheap and easy access to these chickens, but do not want to kill them, myself. Just a preference. I was more concerned about the humane part of it, would doing this be considered wrong or cruel?

8. Michael.

Michael. Big Dog

I do not knwo what your comment means? Are you trying to be sarcastic? About what? The fact that whole prey is a good option?: I am confused and now I actually feel like I am on pitbull-chat lol because most people there try to talk down to everyone and think they know it all, or have smart responses to try and take a jab at someone without providing any relevant information.

9. Michael.

Michael. Big Dog

Thanks, aside from the chickens, if that pans out, I was planning on going with whole or ground rabbit with bone. Or chicken/beef/organ/bone and supplement with cottage cheese, fishoil, and maybe a poweder supplement.

10. BCdogs

BCdogs Pup

Lol, he was talking to me cause I'm usually on PBC.

11. bamaman

bamaman GRCH Dog

Knock the chicken out first , pluck the feathers and wait till he comes thru and just toss him over in the chain spot.Nothin to it.

12. bamaman

bamaman GRCH Dog

I know what your thinking , why wait till the chicken comes thru.Well I believe in givin everything a sportin chance, so the chicken at least has a opurtunity of whippin that dog.

Stratman likes this.
  13. bamaman

bamaman GRCH Dog

Excuse me opportunity to whip the dog.

14. Saiyagin

Saiyagin Chihuahua

If I didnt quote your response I was not talking to you fool why are you so defensive? Did you get bullied on PBC or what? Da horror LMAO

15. patjr

patjr Top Dog

Huh!!!..chicken chasing???...is that a new SPORT....lol

Hey Michael, all dogs are incapable of killing anything in a humane fashion but they gotta eat too, so whatever gives you peace of mind is the right choice.

16. Vicki

Vicki Administrator Staff Member

Yeah, that's my issue with this as well, I don't want them looking so alike.

17. Vicki

Vicki Administrator Staff Member

Have you ever seen what a chicken to do to a dog's face? Not cool. Dispatch the thing first. there's absolutely no logical benefit to feeding a live chicken, when the same nutritional benefit can be derived from a freshly dispatched one. And it's safer for the dog.

18. Biribiri

Biribiri Pup

I think a whole chicken is a really big meal.

19. Saiyagin

Saiyagin Chihuahua

Actually that is not the point of my sarcastic remark.....it was because someone said as long as you dispatch of the animals quickly and humanely. LOL

20. wicked13

wicked13 CH Dog

How do you know The dog Will eatThe chicken once he killed it and not just leave it after its entertainment is done

Andre likes this.