1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Feeding 12 week old puppy too much or too little?

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by rjdaniels1, Sep 3, 2012.

1. Hello! I am a first time pitbull owner and i have a beautiful red nose pitbull named Zeus. He is active but of course loves to sleep and i have been wondering about how much I'm feeding him.

I bought Zues at 8 weeks.
    I took him to the vet at about 10 weeks and he was 8 pounds 4 ounces.
    Since 8 weeks I've been feeding him Blue Buffalo puppy food.
    I've fed him 1/4 a cup each meal. - 8-9 weeks
    Then I fed him 1/2 a cup each meal. 9-11 weeks
    I've started feeding him 1 measuring cup a meal 3 times a day at 12 weeks.

He is still a puppy but i've been reading all these posts on google about their 12 week pitbulls being 25 pounds already!? i think that's a bit much because he still has a ways to go to get there. But I was wondering if anyone could help me out with a feeding chart or tell me IF i need to change anything????

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. Please reply!!1

3. sega

sega Big Dog

He's still young, I'd feed him until he's full n not worry to much abt measuring until he's older. Just feed him n when he gets older work him, don't worry abt it. Keep me updated

4. ok great thanks. Just don't want him to be under or over weight!

5. lil mayhem

lil mayhem Top Dog

Depending on your schedule you can free feed, meaning leaving the food down all day for him to eat. Me personally I feed first thing in morning and early afternoon due to work schedule. All dogs grow different so don't stress as long as his stool is consistent and he's active. Make sure your pup is up to date on all shots and worming. Good luck

6. sadieblues

sadieblues CH Dog

As long as no backbone rib or hip bone is showing you are feeding enough for a puppy. A feeding chart is a basic guideline that can be adjusted to suit any pups/dogs nutritional needs. I always fed my pups between 1-2 cups a day up until adult hood in which all adults are on 2 or 2 1/2 cups a day I feed Wilderness grain free. Going by the picture the pup looks good and healthy to me. As far as weight goes a lot of that is going to depend on the genetics behind the dog if you have a pedigree and know what's behind the parents and how big the parents were you can get an estimate on what your pup will be weight wise full grown. Pups go through growth spurts so you may have one hit 30lbs at 7-8 months that may not put on much weight again until it hits closer to 2 as the dog begins to fill out. The apbt is typically between 30-60lbs full grown give or take a few pounds but that's not set in stone you have some that will fall on the larger side 65-75lbs and some even smaller than 30. So it really just depends. But I wouldn't worry about what the bag says always go by how your dog looks and feed according to what the dog needs based on activity levels.

7. Laced Wit Game

Laced Wit Game Yard Boy

i like to freee feed pups unless your crate training

8. hes probably about 10 pounds now or a little more and a few days away from 12 weeks. is that a healthy weight?

9. Laced Wit Game

Laced Wit Game Yard Boy

who knows, my pups 11 weeks n 9 1/2

10. sadieblues

sadieblues CH Dog

If the pup has been dewormed on schedule, shots up to date, stool firm, and is eating regularly with no hip, rib, or backbone showing your pup is at a healthy weight. Again your pup looks fine if you start seeing any backbone, rib, hip bone, the pups stools change drastically, or the pup stops eating or begins loosing weight even though he's being fed regularly than you will need to visit a vet. Other than that there is no science to feeding a pup give it a good feed keep it updated on shots and worming and feed it according to it's daily needs you will know when the pup is too skinny or not getting enough food just by looking at it.

11. Damn chill the fuck out lol. Not even an hour and you're pissing yourself lol

Puppies that young should be allowed to eat as much as they want twice a day.

12. sega

sega Big Dog

Watch 12 yrs from now the dog will b dead n people will b responding

13. hahahahhahaahaha <3 sega

14. gh32

gh32 CH Dog

First thing is don't ask people on google about the APBT,99.9999% are nothing but idiots who don't have a clue about anything.When someone starts to tell me about their 100 pound "pits" my BS detector goes off and I get out of the conversation ASAP. I've had several pups and the one thing I've noticed is they come in all sizes.Don't worry about what size he is,he doesn't look skinny so whatever he weighs is what he weighs.Keep him fed,worm him when he needs it,keep him up to date on his vaccines and he'll weigh whatever he's supposed to.

15. FeaRThiS

FeaRThiS Pup

My bitch has always been a lil fatty but I have always free fed her up until the last week feeding raw but anyway here is a pic of her at 10 weeks if it helps
    [​IMG]

16. blackness

blackness Pup

I have a 6 month old bitch she is about 30lb....I been feeding her raw sence she was 8weeks....how much should she be eating whats the % to weight

17. vja4Him

vja4Him Pup

My son got his Pitbull Terrier puppy when she was around two months old. I've been doing most of the work, taking care of her, training/teaching, feeding. My son does the poop scoop and gives her baths.

I've been feeding her Oatmeal, sometimes mixed with Bananas or Apples, or Cranberries. She loves Banana Chips, which we use for treats when training. I just fed her some Frozen Peas this evening for the first time. She also loves to knaw on Carrots. I just got a scale today. She weighs 12.5 pounds, and is around 3-3 1/2 months old now. I can feel her ribs, but she is not skinny or fat, and gets plenty of good exercise, digging holes trying to get the gophers, running around the yard, chasing the cats and birds, going for walks .....

18. Beatrix Kiddo

Beatrix Kiddo Top Dog

is that are you are feeding her? oatmeal and some fruits and veggies?

19. ursaminor

ursaminor Top Dog

In before vegan

20. vja4Him

vja4Him Pup

Our puppy, Sega (my son named her after the Sega video game), gets puppy dog food too, twice a day, sometimes three times a day. I'm adding new foods, one at a time, to see if she might have any food allergies ..... Soon I will give Sega some Yogurt (Plain first, then add some Berries).