1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Farming Out

Discussion in 'Breeder Discussion' started by CLKENNELS, Jun 29, 2010.

1. CLKENNELS

CLKENNELS Top Dog

I was wondering how some of you rate yourself as a breeder... Do you prefer to breed to what you think would be your dogs best match or Do you prefer to have someone else with more experience find the right mate for your hound.
    If you do prefer to breed, are you breeding for performers or producers.
    for example performer to performer or producer to producer.
    Thought it would be interesting to get the opinions of those who prefer to breed and those who prefer to have someone else do the breedings.

2. CLKENNELS

CLKENNELS Top Dog

BTW... when i say performers i assume that you all know im not talking about anything illegal..... Duh

3. Yardboy

Yardboy CH Dog

That's not really what I would consider farming out.

4. ShakaZ

ShakaZ CH Dog

What does this have to do with farming out?

5. preme

preme CH Dog

i only farm wat i dont have room for , dont sell dogs , i bred the best performers with in a family strain may total out cross when im looking for something mines may seem to missing and usually its a best to best breeding regardless..

6. CLKENNELS

CLKENNELS Top Dog

Maybe I should clarify my use of "farming out".... Do you prefer to pick your own dogs to breed too or would you rather someone more experienced breed your dogs...

I will use BJ as an example.. BJ prefered to Breed his dogs but "farmed" them out to be shown by other dogmen...Get what im sayin now

7. Dream Pits

Dream Pits CH Dog

When u first start i would keep them myself but as the size got bigger you have more to choose from so let others have some so they can all be looked at. Also you want an outside opinion to see if the best is just the best on your yard of if its really good stuff. I know experience dogmen know but im still young lol. Does that make sense CLK?

8. CLKENNELS

CLKENNELS Top Dog

Not really a anwer to the question but u still made a good point that can be talked about^^^^

9. preme

preme CH Dog

im lost bro seems like your asking two ?'s in one lol but i only farm wat i cant house and only working dogmen would get them .... alot of breeders have people working there stuff alot after a dog turns out to be decent or accomplished it goes back to the breeder to start its breeding career..

10. preme

preme CH Dog

your ? is confussing bro can you be more direct ..lol

11. slim12

slim12 Super Moderator Staff Member

there are two questions in the post...to answer both of them with one answer would be yes, just like in life, another opinion does not hurt....it will prevent you from becoming kennel blind....
    breeding for performance or brood is a question that must be honestly answered beforehand....example..."i bred these two for performance but they didn't make the grade so no they are brood dogs"...that is coasting downhill with no brakes...."i bred these two for brood but this guy is exceptional, he is now a performer"...is the better of the two as long as you do not say, "i thought he was brood, he showed exceptionally but then had some setbacks, and now he is brood again"....
    and there is nothing wrong with an outside opinion on any of these scenarios...US1

12. AGK

AGK Super duper pooper scooper Administrator

Farming out to me is just like it says:
    I'll plant one on your field, and in time, let me know how it goes as your seedling grows and matures. If the seed grows up to become an exceptional harvest, either the friuts of that will be brought back to the farmer and shared and/or when they harvest the crop and decide to keep seeds from it, not only would the farmer get to share in that harvest but be able to have another farmers opinion on his seedlings potental. The people who the farmer farmed the seed out too also will benifit from it so it can become a win win situation for everyone involved. I your picking up what I'm putting down;)

As for the other question:
    Breed for performers who can produce. :p

13. Dream Pits

Dream Pits CH Dog

:cowboyclap: What i was tryin to say but worded way better ;)

14. as I understand the ?, I pick what I want to breed or breed to, if the owner of the other bulldog (not me) is seasoned I will consider his choice but the final say is Always mine (If u call oneself a breeder).........jmo