1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

escape proofing a crate?

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by green machine, Sep 28, 2011.

1. green machine

green machine Top Dog

One of my dogs busts out of any crate i usually put him in, in a plastic crate, if he cant get the door of, he eats thru it, the wire crates he bends up. I need to quickly escape proof a crate so a friend can take him to nationals and show him for me. Dont have enough time to get a good steel dog box, but its on the agenda for him soon.

This is what im thinking, use a wire crate and zip tie the shit out of it, and also I found this galvanized steel wire from home depot, i figured after zip tieing the crate up i will wrap all the seams with the steel wire.

for the door i plan to put bull snaps on the top,bottem and sides of the door to keep it shut.

do you think this would work?

any opinions welcome.

2. brindlexpitt

brindlexpitt Top Dog

aluminum covering the whole crate.

3. green machine

green machine Top Dog

not sure what i would attach aluminum sheeting with

4. brindlexpitt

brindlexpitt Top Dog

zip ties if you cant do anything else.thick wire also works (punch holes in the edges to connect it obviously.)

5. green machine

green machine Top Dog

thanks.. i think the zip ties and the galvanized steel wire should hold him for the weekend.

6. brindlexpitt

brindlexpitt Top Dog

yeah, i wouldnt expect it to be perm if hes that much of an ass lol but it should be okay

7. green machine

green machine Top Dog

yeah he is. its just for now till we get a steel box. he broke out of the crate at our last fun show

8. boman41

boman41 Pup

9. Flipside

Flipside CH Dog

Look into metal hunting dogboxes...but if he's a chewer than its best to keep him on a chain!

YIS

10. green machine

green machine Top Dog

hes on a chain! lol im talking about taking him to shows. and im getting a steel hunting box but just cant get one before nationals this weekend so i gotta escape proof a crate to send him to nationals in.

11. Flipside

Flipside CH Dog

OK..just saying if he is a chewer I don't think you want him chewing on metal either!!

12. green machine

green machine Top Dog

yup your correct however i cant quite install a chain spot at the shows.. lol hes gotta be contained in something when we take him to shows

13. Flipside

Flipside CH Dog

I here ya...try throwing a bunch of chew toys in the crate...or if all else fails...let him ride loose! Good Luck!

YIS

14. Dream Pits

Dream Pits CH Dog

Does he try to get out bc he is a pain in the ass or when he see's something? Covering the crate so the dog can't see has done wonders for me...

15. GI Joe

GI Joe Big Dog

get an extension cord and plug it in and attach it to the metal cage. Lol just kidding.

16. TripleJ

TripleJ CH Dog

green I am in shady hills now hit me up Ill build ya something.You will have to come by and pick it up.

17. JamesT

JamesT Top Dog

Regal dog boxes,don't know if there is a dealer in your area but you can get a nice insulated box with open/closeable vents, rain guards,and good solid doors for half the price of one of those sportsmans warehouse boxes.

18. cliffdog

cliffdog Top Dog

try using some 1/2" x 1/2" wire mesh. won't be a good permanent solution but it might work till you get a good solid crate.

19. green machine

green machine Top Dog

thank you for everyones suggestions. TripleJ, i pmed you. and JamesT, I emailed Regal to see if theres any dealers in Fl.

20. benthere

benthere CH Dog Staff Member

Be careful using the aliminum dox boxes with the bars in the front. I have seen a dog grab a mouthful of the bars and crush. If you get an aluminum box, shop around cause there are ones made with only vents that the dog can't get their teeth into. It sure didn't make my friend very happy to watch a dog destroy his brand new expensive dog box and then have to drive home with the dog in the cab of his truck.