1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

"Elaborate Dog Fighting Ring" Shut Down

Discussion in 'Pit Bull News' started by Suki, Apr 25, 2007.

1. Suki

Suki Guest

"Elaborate Dog Fighting Ring" Shut Down

Authorities think they've broken up a multi state drug trafficking ring. And in the process, they may have shut down a rather elaborate dog fighting operation. Tuesday morning, federal agents arrested Maxwell Landry. Landry lives at 14310 Vidalia Road in northwest Harrison County. He was one of 14 people named in a federal drug trafficking indictment.

The Harrison County drug suspect may also be linked to a dog fighting ring.

Behind a shabbily built wooden fence on Vidalia Road is what authorities call a large dog fighting training compound, and nearly 45 scarred and abused pit bulls. Kathryn Destreza and other members of the Louisiana SPCA came to Harrison County to help take care of the dogs.

"They're machines made for one thing, and that's dog fighting," she said.

Investigators initially had no idea the dogs, or the training compound were on Maxwell Landry's property. According to Harrison County Sheriff George Payne, authorities were at the property to arrest "a major drug trafficker."

Landry once lived in Chalmette, Louisiana. But after the hurricane, he moved to this spacious property on Vidalia Road. From his property about eight miles north of I-10, authorities said they had proof Landry illegally transported drug between the two states.

"We made a dent not only in the drug trafficking here, but in the cruelty to these animals and the illegal dog fighting that's taking place in Louisiana. And the horrible condition that these animals have to live in," the sheriff said.

It was only after the DEA did aerial surveillance on the drug trafficking suspect's property in northwest Harrison County that federal agents discovered the dogs and the training compound, and contacted the humane society.

Tara High heads up the Humane Society of South Mississippi.

"To me, it's such a tragedy, because these animals are very friendly to people," she said, while taking a break from looking over the dogs.

So many dogs were chained inside the compound, Harrison County called the Louisiana SPCA to help document, and haul away animals that were reportedly trained to maul each other. "It's sad really," said Destreza.

Authorities found drugs, and a cattle prod inside the training compound. They believe both were used while the dogs were taught how to fight. They say they'll use that evidence to prove Maxwell staged illegal dog fights on his Harrison County property.

"It's organized animal cruelty if you ask me," the sheriff said. "They're fixing to go to jail."

by Brad Kessie

2. simms

simms CH Dog

Re: "Elaborate Dog Fighting Ring" Shut Down

The only thing this artical presents is personal emotions and speculation.

3. zacdaddy77

zacdaddy77 Big Dog

Don't that just piss you off to read something like that.You know have of that crap is made up and the other half is opinion.

,Zac

4. kanediggity

kanediggity Big Dog

but then again again we dont know what was true and what was not so whos to say he might have been doing this shit who knows,.

5. Attila

Attila Guest

those dogs are no different than any other dogs. Even the worst of pit dogs makes the best pet. These HS people make me sick. They don't know jack shit about dogs. These people from the ass jack that so calls watches over them to the zing that put them in that freaks charge is retarded. Flapping their gums about nothing. Lies all lies.

6. Pitbull219

Pitbull219 CH Dog

Another example of why ya can't mix drugs with the dogs. Even if this guy did nothing illegal with the dogs, they'll all be killed because of his illegal drug dealing bringing attention to his animals. If ya love the dogs, leave the drugs out of your life.....if ya love drugs, stay the hell away from the dogs. This kind of story makes us all look bad. The public already views us as gang-bangers, drug dealers and miscreants......

7. ABK

ABK Rest In Peace

Good post ... I agree 100%.

8. DryCreek

DryCreek CH Dog

I've read a couple of different articles about this. While one was mostly about the alleged drug trafficking the other was mostly about the dogs. Either way, with all the pics they showed of the dogs that I saw, none were in as bad of shape as they make them sound. In fact, all were in very good shape for the temperature they were living in. Their view of healthy has always been about 10lbs over what we view as healthy for these dogs.

As for the scars, hunting animals have a tendency to be scarred more than a house pet does. My brother-in-law took his APBT for a run through the bush and the darn thing ended up with a stick hanging out of its side. :rolleyes: Active dogs like the APBT are more likely to be marked up than couch potato's and if they are kept outside, lord knows what may come within range of them to get involved in a tussle with.

The sad thing is, with them being taken, combined with the attitudes toward alleged fighting dogs, which is death is better than the life they were living, they'll be killed for sure. :mad: