1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Ed reid

Discussion in 'Breeder Discussion' started by killadev300, May 6, 2010.

1. oldguy

oldguy CH Dog

Sorry Soze, Curstopper was neither awesome nor an ace! He was durable,long winded and game beyond belief, would scratch all day or likely die trying. Jacko on the other hand 'was' an awsome dog who broke gameness like chicken bones! I only know one UK dog that could be referred to as an ace and that's GR.CH.Bill, but even Bill wasn't awsome! He only needed to show up to win, that's how good Bill really was, but I only saw one dog bite an opponent once and they were finished.. That dog was Champion Jacko *IN HIS PRIME!*.. You were right about Curstopper's name though.. It's a beauty :)

2. oldguy

oldguy CH Dog

I agree with a lot of what you said about Skipper dogs Stedz!! Few were aware how great a family Reid's Skipper and Stephie came from, also how difficult it was to even get a dog from Stubblefield, how Skipper's other sister (tarka) produced Hick's Champion Bullit and the Skipper x Wise formula Reid bred was close to the same DNA that produced the Gaines Turtlebuster line of dogs.. Some did import other lines that were a big asset to the UK game.. Nelis, Tug, Buzz, Howe's Bo, Masada, Oz, Joe Montana, Dann's BJ and NKK's Twister etc.. I was a fan of Dave Adams dogs so tried to copy his breedings using whatever was available, but the dogs I believe were the most under rated were the Wise' Max jnr (red devil) dogs Reid owned .. They were the petrol behind dogs like Jacko, Clever Charlie and the great East End Kennels breedings.. Just my opinion!

stedz likes this.
  3. stedz

stedz Top Dog

I didnt mean to come over kennel blind there,i know there was other top dogs from other lines,like the nelis dogs etc so didnt mean to be disrespectful to anyone with these dogs,i just get the impression the skipper dogs were totally underated by many,perhaps cos ed reid wasnt racing them.on a different dog old guy you mentioned BJ,now bear in mind the pup i had bought at the time had BJ behind it all be it back 4 gens,anyway is it true a wheaten beat it because on my life thats what ed reid told me on the phone.

4. reids skipper

reids skipper CH Dog

I always thought that too oldguy ...them wise dogs never got the recognition they deserved as they were close up on alot of them eastend dogs etc

oldguy likes this.
  5. reids skipper

reids skipper CH Dog

Nelis and neilson always seemed to take all the credit for such dogs imo

6. stedz

stedz Top Dog

Old guy if i ask a few stupid questions please bear with me,regarding glen stubblefield obviously i know about the buddy dog,i think i posted a questions about the dog on the forum but nobody replied,ive never seen anything on the man himself though,was the guy a good dogman breeder,what?

7. reids skipper

reids skipper CH Dog

Think old ed hit lucky with the dogs he brought over or do you think he knew exactely what he was doing ??

8. reids skipper

reids skipper CH Dog

Stedz ...a story ive told before about gr ch badger .... believe it or not a fella got a staff of me years ago and he actually bred badger by mating two he had ( one was off md and the other one was off eds breeding ).... talk about luck !

9. stedz

stedz Top Dog

skip, you've lost me now mate,please can you explain that again? you saying the guy that bred badger bought a staff off you right? not that badger was bred down from staffs?

10. reids skipper

reids skipper CH Dog

He got a staff off me and while he was at mine we got chattng about dogs he had in the past

11. stedz

stedz Top Dog

fuck me im glad we cleared that up,got me in a cold sweat by there.

12. stedz

stedz Top Dog

I dont know exactly where i read it ,but i think it was Leo Kinard said something like,The more im around these dogs the more i realize how little i know, you get a dog perfecly bred with all these great dogs behind it,you rollit and it looks unbeatable,then you match it and some scatterbred mut goes and kills it.i wasnt quoting word by word but that was the just of it.

13. Westway

Westway Big Dog

Skipper

Attached Files:

stedz likes this.
  14. oldguy

oldguy CH Dog

@stedz.. You made valid points on Reid's Skipper, it's true a lot of people imported new blood and they came to nothing.. I imported a grandaughter off Grand Champion Zebo in pup to Lonzo's King Elvis, all the pups died in quarantine and a year later she got taken while pregnant to Champion Scotsman's Max, big plans bit the dust.
    I can't say whether Dann's BJ met a wheaten, sorry mate! I have little knowledge of those dogs, just a struggling student same as you, trying to learn a little more each day.. I did hear that after Skipper was stolen from Ed Reid, the thieves rolled him and he was supposed to have quit.. The only evidence of this came from the sewer rats who stole Skipper and then handed the dog back which makes their story suspect to say the least. Jim Wesley was a true dogman, Kingfish was Dave Adams favourite dog, while Stubblefield and the brothers liked that blood either on it's own or crossed with Art, Hetrick or Red Devil, but you're right Stedz, they were special dogs.
    @ Reid's Skipper.. I believe Ed knew what he was doing all right.. He never bred a family of dogs, just crossed the dogs he owned and look what he came down from them!.. Gr.Ch. Bill, Gr Ch.Bella, Gr.Ch.Myra, Gr Ch.Shelley, Gr.Ch.Bruno, Gr.Ch.Ludo etc.. Look at their peds.. Take away the Reid and I believe you take away their titles.

stedz, reids skipper and Dusty Road like this.
  15. stedz

stedz Top Dog

old guy,i read about you years ago,i think it was in a book i bought off ed,most of it was made up of peds of irish staffs,but there was a full story about the scotsmans dogs in it ive always wondered what might have happened if the zebo lonzo bitch had those pups,certain thing s stick in your mind,and that always has.I always used to look in the later issues of pbn and was fuckin amazed at some of the blood in the country and pups on the ground at that time.if only that dda came in a few years later,not that it was ever gonna be a good time,but you know what i mean.

16. stedz

stedz Top Dog

the zebo bitch max pups i mean.

17. stedz

stedz Top Dog

I know i may be well off the mark here,and i cant dig books out but was the bitch either called or out of a bitch called lonzos spider,just off top of my head.

18. oldguy

oldguy CH Dog

Attached Files:

Finito and stedz like this.
  19. stedz

stedz Top Dog

she was certainly a strong awsome looking bitch old guy,if she was mine id still be having nightmares about her being taken.I think i truly realised how special those skipper dogs were after,reading about buddy kingfish Adams hetrick etc.in the Rocca book.special dogs and special old blood.About 5 or 6 years ago,i got hold of jack kellys phone number,thats a story in itself but im not going into it now,anyway at the time he had just me the bloodlines book,bear in mind his memory wasnt to good at the time so i says to him,you left a famous dogs ped out of the book,i could tell he was confused he says what dog is that,my question mark button isnt working by the way,so anyway i said i believe he was the first sdj gr ch,i could tell his mind was really working overtime now.i said stubblefields gr ch buddy.he said really i left that dog out,i cant believe how i did that he was a great dog would you like me to send you his ped,i said no thats ok i got it anyway but thanks anyway.but i could tell he was genuinly surprised he,d left it out.

20. stedz

stedz Top Dog

Please bear in mind my computer is a bit old ive got two lines running down the middle of the screen so if i miss out the odd word or make a spelling mistake,its the reason why.