1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Eating Cow Hide

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by shoes, Mar 18, 2012.

1. shoes

shoes Big Dog

I recently got some cow hide strips that I've been using on the flirt pole. The dog loves it. After playing for a bit, I'll let her chew on it as a reward and she's ripped some large chunks off and swallowed them whole. Anyone ever had any health problems come from this? Seems to me her system should be able handle it being a carnivore and all. I just want to make sure the cow fur/hide won't be any problem for her to digest. I'm sure many of you know more than me on this so any help is appreciated.

2. bgblok68

bgblok68 CH Dog

Never had any problems with them but I've heard stories of some dogs getting stopped up eating rawhide bones. We got one that has ate a pair of blue jeans, part of a spare tire, the rain gaurd off of a barrel, holes in the side of her barrel and has had no problems. But each dog is different. Don't let her have to much at one time or to often and keep an eye on her.

3. NGK

NGK Top Dog

I know a fella that let his dog do the same thing and ended up with a dead dog, the large chunks of hide lodged in his small intestine which then twisted and ruptured causing shock and death. I would put the hide up when your done work and give the dog a different reward.

NGK

4. shoes

shoes Big Dog

Thanks for the help guys. NGK, I'll probably take your advice on this one after reading that story.

5. Dream Pits

Dream Pits CH Dog

i saw fb feed it to his dogs in dogman2000
    i give the teething dogs SMALL pieces to chew on but the adult dogs will swallow the entire thing so just be careful

6. ElJay

ElJay CH Dog

mine have eaten it before but only in small peices, usually tearing it off while on the springpole. never had any problems. i try not to ever let mine eat it tho. besides, i want my hides to last! lol