1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

ear cropping

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by bigsho, Jan 18, 2005.

1. bigsho

bigsho Pup

what is the age you should get a dogs ears cropped by? i talked to a lot of vets in my area and their opinions differ greatly. most say it isnt humane and refuse to do them period. the few that said they would said no more than eight-twelve weeks. just wondering

2. Madusa

Madusa CH Dog

the average vet says no later than 12 weeks, but if you have a very experienced qualified veterinarian i have seen them do them on older dogs (up to 3 or 4 years), i personally think that this is a little late since they do not heal as well, but itis all a matter of personal preference.

3. Classic

Classic Big Dog

It really is best to get done by 12 -14 weeks IMO as they don't bleed as heavily.
    I have a friend who has been doing his own dogs for yrs and he does them about 5 weeks. He does an awesome job...better than any I have ever seen and is very consistant. He has done a few on older dogs that were in accidents, but does not prefer to do it on older dogs as they bleed heavily !!!!

4. JEEP

JEEP Big Dog

if i was you, i would do while they are still young... because you wouldnt have to pay much for it. a couple of my friends cropped thier dogs ear, but they did it thier self. they do it while they are young so that they can hold them down and them crop it, thats just what i think, but personally i would go to the vet and get it cropped...

5. Yung-One

Yung-One Big Dog

10wks to 12wks---if you do it any earlier than that the chance of infection is greater bcuz they will still need to be around the mom and she will lick the ears. An infection after ear cropping is horrible, and it would take forever to heal.

6. miakoda

miakoda GRCH Dog

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE don't do this! I have seen too many pups lose their lives to have their ears cropped w/a butcher knife or kitchen shears while a best friend held them down. First, it inhumane. Second, it can land your ass in jail for animal cruelty depending on the laws in your state. As I've stated before, in most states, this falls under animal cruelty and in some it is a felony charge as it is considered practicing a medical profession w/out a license.

We prefer to do pups b/n the ages of 10 wks & 16 wks, but we have done them as old as 9 months. They must have at least 2 vaccines (a 7in1/8in1 & an 8in1). The risk of infection in a young unvaccinated pup (low immune system) is too great. This is a procedure that is done under general anesthesia & requires skill & a special tool to get the correct desired crop. The pup also needs heavy antibiotics & painkillers during & after the surgery (for about 10-14 days) as there is cutting of tissue AND cartilage.

My personal & professional opinion is to have a qualified vet do this procedure. Calll around & when you find one that you think is reasonable, schedule a consultation in which you bring your pup & some pics if you have any (of the style crop you want) so the vet can asses your dog. Don't be afraid to ask to see some pics of the crops that the vet has done (we take pics of most of ours so others can see). This is a major surgery & your dog's ears cannot be put back on if you don't like the outcome, so don't be afraid to be picky.

Also, if you cannot afford it to be done professionaly by a vet, it doesn't need to be done. Your pup's health comes first & showy looks second.

7. Mudville_Monsta

Mudville_Monsta Top Dog

the vets i've talked to are also buttin heads on cropping age. the vet we've had do them won't touch any pup over 4 months old. although there were others that would do them at any age. the catch was the standard price $250 and then $10 a pound for every pound over 45lbs.

8. Classic

Classic Big Dog

I'm sorry Miakoda, but I respectfully disagree.
    with this statement:
    "The risk of infection in a young unvaccinated pup (low immune system) is too great."
    My friend has done MANY,MANY pups and dogs and he is way better than most vets.
    The special tool ( clamps) can be ordered from a vetrinary catalog.
    These young pups at 5 weeks do not get licked by their mother as they are already off her and not kept with her...they heal MUCH faster than the older pups !!!
    You probably just don't know as you have never seen it done at a younger age.

ALSO, I do not consider this a major surgery UNLESS the pup is over 16 weeks.

9. miakoda

miakoda GRCH Dog

That's ok, Classic. I forgive you. :) I do want to point out that this comment was aimed at those wanting to put their pup at a vet clinic to do the ears. As there are also sick animals beig housed, it is unwise to leave an unvaccinated pup there.

I'm just trying to prevent people who are knew to this from getting instructions & trying this themselves at home. Too many inexperienced young-uns want to save a quick buck by doing a home job.

I have seen it done many times at younger ages (as young as 4 weeks), & I have also had the bear the responsibility of disposing of the bodies of these pups. If you saw the people who bring these pups into my clinic w/their ears so badly infected that the pup is knocking on death's door & the way the ears have been butchered (not everyone is going to order the clamps. most home jobs involve scissors and/or knife & a pair of extra hands) you (not necicesarily you, but everyone in general) would also be careful on advising that "it's so simple, anyone can do it!" & giving out "how to" instructions.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2005
  10. Classic

Classic Big Dog

Thanks Miakoda,

This is an excellent point !!!
    As there are also sick animals beinghoused, it is unwise to leave an unvaccinated pup there.

I try to warn everone who gets a pup from me (which isn't many...LOL) and others not to EVER set a young pup on the floor or even inthe yard at the vetrinary office.
    At almost all offices they do their very best to sanitizefloors frequently an promptly after all accidents, but Parvo lingers so long , is hard to eradicate, and there are many different strains...sometimes you can go home with something you didn't come in with.
    Take your pups into the office in a crate...only takehim/ her out when you can set him on a clean sanitized table...most are stainless and once sanitized properly are the best.
    Thanks again Miakoda for your excellent advice, and being patient with my very strong opinions ;)

11. LadyRampage

LadyRampage Top Dog

Watch out on home cropping jobs. There was just a woman who was arrested and put in jail for doing vet care without a license and had cruelity charges brought against her as well...