1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Dwarfs?

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by jdbernal3, May 25, 2007.

1. jdbernal3

jdbernal3 Pup

Out of 8 pups in a litter, the one I rescued came out to be pretty good sized male. But two of the pups ended up being very very small. When they were very little they both got sick, I talked to the owner and he said they were skinny, wouldn't eat, had the runs, and looked down. And I saw them the other day and they are all the same age, mine is growing fine, and his both seem to look like they are like 4 months old, but they are all 7 months old. Is it possible that they both turned out to be runts, or that them being sick could have stunted their growth? I'm not sure what to tell him. The vet always told him they were fine. And they both have plenty of energy, are in good health, but just extremely small. Like they were in a totally different litter, like 3 or 4 months behind mine. What are your opinions?

2. thepitpalace

thepitpalace Big Dog

If they are in good health I wouln't worry about it. I got two brothers, the little one was never sick and never had problems but he weighs about 15 lbs. The bigger one is a normal 50 lbs @ 1 1/2 yrs old. Everyone thinks the little one is a chihuahua. Tried to post pics but can't figure out how?

3. maryellen1

maryellen1 Guest

sometimes the runts will stay small, sometimes they can bounce back.. mostly the runts stay smaller.. rufus was a runt out of 9, and he is only 56 lbs. the rest of the litter are all in the 70-80 lb range..

4. jdbernal3

jdbernal3 Pup

Wow, i've never seen this happen before. I'll get pics of these dogs, and of mine and post them so people can see. But i'm wondering if anyone knows what causes it? wondering if it's a human error or if it's just something that happened due to sickness, or it's just possible for it to happen to any dog at anytime?

5. bahamutt99

bahamutt99 CH Dog

I think there is a difference between a dwarf and a runt. A healthy runt, I wouldn't worry. A dwarf, as in a dog with dwarfism, will have warped features, similar to an English Bulldog or a Basset Hound.

6. ABK

ABK Rest In Peace

Actually, if I undertsand right, there are several different types of dwarfism in the dog & some do not cause the malformation of the limbs seen in EBs & Bassets.

Here is a link on dwarfism in the dog. It has some nice pics. Maybe it will help you jbernal.

http://www.dogstuff.info/dwarfism_part_three_lanting.html

7. miakoda

miakoda GRCH Dog

Malnutrition can most definitely stunt a dog's growth.

8. chinasmom

chinasmom CH Dog

China had two runts in her litter, but one soon caught up leaving just the one. OH she was a fiesty one too. The prettiest red brindle pup we had put of the whole litter.

9. chloesredboy

chloesredboy CH Dog

my mom's husky was the runt and she was always small and skinny up untill three years then it was like she just bulked over night or something.Now she looks just like any other normal husky.If the dog is just a runt ,just give it a little extra time.However if it is due to malnutrition,like mia said that will stunt a dogs growth.We are also currently fostering a little female husky who has been starved most of her three years,and she's only as tall as chloe and weihgs 38 lbs.I didnt believe she was full husky so the lady at the rescue showed me her papers.That dog will definetly put on weight,but will never be the size of a normal husky.

10. maryellen1

maryellen1 Guest

11. the couple that had swampdog kennels had a pit

that was sick when born......she kept her fixed her so not breeding her
    but that little dog stayed about 12 to 15 lbs...rednose while the rest of the litter made an easy 65 lbs plus

they now only deal in pulling dogs..and american bulldogs
    very nice couple

so it does happen....that little one yapped like a chihuahua
    nasty lil critter....littlemans disease they call it
    the smaller the dog the worse the attitude
    but thats not true...just an expression

long as its well fed and in good health

why worry??

12. chloesredboy

chloesredboy CH Dog