1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

ducking dogs

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by Dream Pits, May 16, 2013.

1. tigerboy5

tigerboy5 Big Dog

That had to have been in the 1890's or something. These dogs are a very expensive hobby and for all that proving a point stuff we can do that otc. If you win your hound wont get an official win but on the other hand i wont have to spend time and money on feed, supps and a keep to do a match that wont cover the costs of my keep.

2. slim12

slim12 Super Moderator Staff Member

You preach biegeli. Big D dropped the same knowledge and experience on the both of us. Without putting his name out there bigeli will tell you Big D took 'low dollar' dogs and drove in the 'fastlane' for a number of years. Dogs that most of the world snubbed their nose at because they were not known for high percentages or bringing top dollar out of the brood box. He kept 8-10 dogs that were open to the world at all times. Covering numerous weights in several classes. And bigeli will verify his very statement, " I don't care how game your dog is, I don't care what he has done or even what you think he will do. I will put something on you for 50-55 minutes that you can't scratch from. Period." Big D.
    If I said his name, few would know him. But if I said his name and you contacted the biggest names of the 70's and 80's. They would say, If you go into him you better have your shit right, cause he will".
    And he will tell you one time he had to save up and give $300 for a bulldog. $300 damn near forced him out of the dogs. ....Now you preach bigeli. LOL...Be off at the end of the week and I will drop you a line. S

3. tigerboy5

tigerboy5 Big Dog

You're right. I was trying to get at the point of if you werent as high on the dog but still considered him show worthy, instead of opening up his weight and letting a a Buck answer the call would you just go straight to Bucks front door and ask him to dance?

4. slim12

Personally I have never went to someone's door or called on a certain kennel and inquired about a certain dog. I was taught early on to get your shit right and put the weight out there. Whoever or whatever picks it up is the one you have to beat. I have turned down some deals because I could not afford the $$$$ they were talking. It is nothing I could do about that. I have also lowered what I was looking to bet to get one done as well. It takes all kinds. Nothing is absolute. S

5. tigerboy5

tigerboy5 Big Dog

Thanks thats all i was trying to find out.

6. BLUE8BULL

BLUE8BULL CH Dog

No-body is talking,otc..back then if ya brought out it was contract...so what we found out was,for some it was about the dog's......an for others,money, they use excuse's about money...so it's about money for them...so either they had the quailty back then or they were full of it................?????????????????the best is were ya find it,and some-times back then it would cost a-lot of time,money+effort,but other time's the best comp was easyier to go in-to...ya don't/did'nt make excuse's... To not go after the best..that was there, no matter who had it...............

7. preme

preme CH Dog

Yup most times you dont even no who or wats being brought , just have your charge ready to race ...

8. MANNY1

MANNY1 Big Dog

[​IMG] GIFSoup

9. CajunBoulette

CajunBoulette CH Dog

^^^^^^^^ I feel the same way! Hard as hell to be otw these days tho

10. CajunBoulette

CajunBoulette CH Dog

Now them 2 reasons in my book are why you wouldn't do something.... Everybody bank account is different and just bc someone says I can't make it to that place or cover that$$$ don't mean their duckin or lack confidence in their dog.... I ain't gonna chance more than I can afford to lose and I'm not gonna lose my job just to travel to get one done......

11. slim12

Very true. In one of my earlier posts I mentioned a guy I met years ago. We were talking about 1st time out dogs and using the 1st for a game check, and not betting a wad on the first one, etc..etc.. And he pointed at a male and said, "That dog has won all six of his "first time out matches". That spoke volumes about what is lurking out there. S

12. the other part to this is....... the conditioner

13. old goat

old goat CH Dog

the one ducking here would be the guy asking to much . if they loved their dog so much they would do it for a bag of feed if that's all they had . the sides always covered to make things more interesting . it's was about the dog not the money for a dogman that loved his dogs not what he might could loose on 1 .

14. tigerboy5

tigerboy5 Big Dog

I think its kind of funny you say that because of the vast majority of dogs considered aces and the ones that are in the bulldog hall of fame can you name 3 that had a contract match for a bag of dog food?

15. old goat

old goat CH Dog

you just think it's was all about the money tboy . just what if the best dog would have been the guy that doesn't have much money . will they pass him by ? lighter didn't match for money for decades because there wasn't much to go around . but was his dogs junk ? everyone thinks there was a lot of money even 30 years ago . well some but not many . and haha you aint old enough to remember much because it's been illegal since 76 .

16. tigerboy5

tigerboy5 Big Dog

Maybe some people take that earn your keep saying to litteral. I may be the death of this breed. Sorry about that old goat.

17. old goat

old goat CH Dog

it's cool I just telling alittle history .

18. bigeli

bigeli Big Dog

you are 100./. correct about that!!!

19. The Saint

The Saint Big Dog

I recall a kennel that has some of the best around from Mexico stated that he'd match for wine and cigarettes and he neither drinks nor smoke.
    You catch my drift? He was calling out guys from the Eastern Block countries and they were whining about expenses.
    Wow I take my hat off to a man that could bet a house on a dog say he'll do it for little to no money, just to make the show happen.
    That's a sporting kennel, don't yall think?

20. old goat

old goat CH Dog

you will find more true dogmen from mexico than any other place .