1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

drying up a nursing female?

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by BringBackup, Nov 23, 2010.

1. Nell_Bell

Nell_Bell Big Dog

She had pretty much cut them off. Only let them nurse long enough to go in and grab their puppy food lol! She goes into false pregnancies and has wound up with mastitis before so I am hoping this will finish the weaning process and prevent mastitis.

2. Wow I've missed all the replies way back when. Sorry to those whose questions I didn't return to answer. :(

Glad it worked so well for the folks who tried the advice. It has always done great for me. Right now Lizzy's pups are 12 weeks old and she looks absolutely great!!! :D

3. dogsguts

dogsguts Banned

Srry 2 gate crash but saw this thread and i had a similar problem years ago and this is what i was told and ended up trying with great results,smear lanolin which you can get from a chemist(drugstore) on her belly for the teeth and scratching and feed her a teaspoon of vingear once a day with her feed,then just hand walking or light exercise and seperating the dam and pups like the other people r saying untill the dam is fully recoverd.It usally takes about a week for the milk 2 dry and another 2 for the dam 2 tuck up.Good luck 2 all.

4. ngomalungundu

ngomalungundu Big Dog

Easiest way is to walk bitch 1 mile a day after weaning pups and decrease her fat intake by 50% and add 2 cans of water packed tuna to her diet for 30 days. After 30 days go back to regular diet.