1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

dry skin

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by kato937, Dec 22, 2005.

1. kato937

kato937 Pup

does anyone have any suggestions for dry skin ? i noticed a little flaking maybe because of cold weather ?

2. americandream

americandream Top Dog

i was also wondering the same thing...... could real dry skin lead to slight thining of the hair?

3. c.knight

c.knight Big Dog

yeah my dog has that i wanted to know do they make some type of lotion?

4. jankab

jankab Top Dog

Could in part be the weather... Bath them with Head and Shoulders shampoo.

Also use the search option on the toolbar and search dry skin.

5. SouthernDixie

SouthernDixie CH Dog

You can use leave in conditioner, but I'm not sure which kind. Maybe someone can help with that. Also I've heard of fish oil pills. I personally use Kenecs Emu Oil Shampoo. It helps preserve their natural skin oils.

We are going to the vet tonight for a mange follow-up. I was going to ask about something to help with dry skin, so if anything is recommended, I'll tell ya.

6. Stillwater

Stillwater Top Dog

Use Brewers Yeast with Garlic, or Super 14.
    Both will have them shinning like a new dime.

7. kato937

kato937 Pup

sounds good thanks

8. jankab

jankab Top Dog

9. puregame

puregame Big Dog

Yeah fish oil has always worked for me. There's also a conditioner call Tail and Mane that works very well.

puregame

10. Zoe

Zoe CH Dog

I have two girls with dry coat issues and I tried all the supplements and topical treatments you can think of. You know what worked? Changing their food. I just kept trying new foods until I found something that worked. The two that work the best for my girls are the Timberwolf Elk and the Solid Gold Millennia. I've had dogs whose coats will thin out on the wrong food as well, mostly on their head. Same deal. Found them better foods.

11. kato937

kato937 Pup

who carries this brand of dog food ?

12. 14rock

14rock GRCH Dog

13. Zoe

Zoe CH Dog

Keep in mind also that all dogs are different and what kinds have worked for my crew might not work for your dog. What I would suggest is trying some different high quality kibbles and see which ones work for your dog. What I also do, is once I find a few kinds that work, I rotate between them.

14. SouthernDixie

SouthernDixie CH Dog

Okay well we went to the vet last night (and the guy had a hard time listening to my questions) but he told me to never ever ever use human shampoo for one - because our skin is 3 times thicker and it will strip the dog of natural oils. He said stick with a good dog shampoo that's supposed to help keep in the dog's skin oils. Also only bath no more than twice a month. He said leave in dog conditioners are fine also.

And for the bad news.... my puppy might have to go to a doggy dermatologist for his mange!!!

15. Stillwater

Stillwater Top Dog

Both types of Mange can be easily and inexpensivly treated with Ivomec and/or goodwinol ointment.

Your vet is right about the shampoo.The Ph levels are a lot higher and will basically dry the dogs skin out and cause it to be VERY irritated.
    I would not even use Tail and Mane, as its for Equine(Horses) and Ph is also different.
    I personally think if a dog gets the proper nutrition it will eliminate 99 % of dry skin problems.

16. bigsho

bigsho Pup

i had the same problem with my dog. i used vitacoat from doctor foster and smith. i think they advertise on here if not just google it. it is a liquid you add to their food that has omega fatty acids and fish oil. someone on here recommended it to me and it worked wonders.

17. WWII

WWII Banned

Murphy's Oil. ;)

18. I had this problem with my dog. In fact, I changed to "Canidae" in hopes to solve this issue. After it did not work (a few months), I decided to buy an Amino supplement. I went to GNC, bought the GNC Amino Complex (I think that is what is called), and have been giving this to my dog for three weeks. I have noticed a great improvement on my dog's skin and coat. I recommend you buy a supplement specifically with Omega-3 and Omega-6.

19. Texasbulldogs

Texasbulldogs Top Dog

Skin is considered an organ, just as the heart, lungs, liver and brain. Organs are made up of millions of cells, which must have good nutrition to function properly. Just as the heart beats and sends blood throughout the body, the skin has its job too. The skin maintains a barrier between the outside world and the interior of the dog. It keeps substances such as dirt, bacteria, fungus, mites and chemicals from entering the body. It is truly a remarkable organ.
    Skin is made up of three layers. The top layer is called the epidermis and consists of cells that die and are replaced constantly. If they die too fast, you see dead cells and notice your pet has dandruff. Hairs grow from hair follicles deep within the skin. Each hair follicle goes through a cycle of growth in which old hair is shed and new hair takes its place. Dogs shed due to many different factors including genetics, temperature, length of the day and amount of nutrition available for growth. Oil glands are attached to the hair follicles, producing a substance called sebum, a mixture of fats and proteins. Sebum waterproofs the skin, deters bacteria and fungus from causing nfection
    and keeps the coat shiny.
    The skin is a complicated and important organ that requires proper nutrition so that it can work at maximum efficiency. A healthy and shiny coat also requires adequate protein, vitamins and minerals, as well as fats (or oil). The nutrients your dog receives from food are sent to the skin and coat last, so it's important that your dog gets an optimum diet that will satisfy the nutrient requirements of the entire body. That is why they say that the coat of a dog is a mirror of a pet's health.
    Winter time is a common time for dogs to have dry skin and more dander. As soon as the heat gets turned on in the cooler months, their skin (as well as ours) takes a little more care. Some basic winter tips for those that keep their dogs inside during the winter month:

a) Brush your dog/s often to remove dead hair and dander
    b) Bath</ST1:p dog little as possible, just enough to keep the coat clean
    c) Follow the bath (if needed) with a moisturizing rinse made specifically for dogs.
    d) Feed a premium kibble<O:p</O:p

Also water intake should be monitored and supplemented with the kibble during the winter months! Most only tend to be concerned with their dogs water intake during the summer months, yet winter should be! Most dogs like with us human consume far less water than they/we should! In the “wild” that is never a problem given their food is mostly water. This is the main reason you can go to any yard with dogs and find signs of dehydrations all throughout it in the winter month. As a general rule of thumb-a dog should consume 2.5 times the amount of water, as its daily food intake. Example a dog that is feed 2 lbs of kibble should consume 5 lbs of water.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 3, 2006
    CRG likes this.
  20. RiotDog

RiotDog Pup

Good info Tex thanks.