1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

door opening for doghouse

Discussion in 'Products & Equipment' started by BFKENNEL, May 31, 2008.

1. BFKENNEL

BFKENNEL Big Dog

Hi there!
    Just wanted to ask how big is the square openning of the doghouses.I am planning to make a concrete doghouse but i wanted to know the standard measurement of the door opening for a doghouse.I don't want to make a small opening for my hog is almost 50# hog.I also don't want to make it too big for the rain to enter inside the house.

Can someone please give me some measurement.

Thanks in advance

2. Virgil dogs

Virgil dogs Big Dog

Concrete wow thats a new one.How are you going to form it?The opening should be a tight fit,I would say 12''-14'' square.Maybe put a treated 2x4 into the crete above the doorway so you can nail a flap up for winter.

3. CRG

CRG Top Dog

4. purplepig

purplepig CH Dog

Wow, that is insane!!:D
    As to the opening, 10-12" is plenty, the smaller the better, within reason.

But I do have a question, how will you clean the barrel when it gets dirty? There is not even a drain system built into the design. At the very least you should run a 1/2" pvc pipe drain from the bottom of the barrel on angle to outside the concrete. Also, you should have the barrel at an angle to the drain. For the amount of money it will cost you, on the concrete alone, I would think you could build a better house, which will be easier to clean, and easier to move.

On a side note, if you do build it like this, make sure you put fiber in the mix to make it stay together. I didnt see in the photo's how they reinforced it with rebar,nor did they say anything about the fiber.

good luck

5. SPFDOGS

SPFDOGS Guest

I have never used a concrete dog house,but if I were to build one I would go with the plans supplied by Legend Kennels & provided to us by CRG..Im sure those dog houses could withstand even the most extreme weather if filled with the proper bedding..I would incorperate a drainage system like purplepig mentioned though..
    I have a old yardtape where TG explains how he builds,and why he uses concrete doghouses..