1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Dogs of today - better or worse?

Discussion in 'APBT History' started by ABK, Oct 7, 2009.

1. AGK

AGK Super duper pooper scooper Administrator

I agree....

2. Red Cemtre

Red Cemtre Big Dog

Very well put, I completely agree

3. TROTLINE

TROTLINE Top Dog

^^^^ Right you are (just my opinion) I'm new to pulling up all these kennels online looking at some of the breeding claims, some are breed as tight as gamecocks, I'm probably wrong but I cant imagine how they can be healthy!!! Years ago I saw A half Staff make champion, a huge number of gyps breed to him, not one (at least as far as I know) pup worth feeding at least for what they wanted them for. There have been some exceptional dogs throw thrown the last 15-20 yrs. then again look how many are in the pound! I have give'n A few away that looked great and well mannered as pets all but one was fixed first. The ratio of pitbulls have to be 10-1 from what it was 20 yrs ago! I just hope these fine dogs just don't go the way of what looks good on paper!

4. ELIAS'PISTOLA

ELIAS'PISTOLA CH Dog

Not really knowin,lol, I would say that the overall amount has gone up and the ratio of good ones has to be less then it was in the yesteryears...
    But I am also a strong believer in evolution and I do think these bulldogs are evolving to another level...

5. BLUE8BULL

BLUE8BULL CH Dog

.....SOMETIMES going back can be a good thing,esp;..if it's something that you have lost....

6. slim12

slim12 Super Moderator Staff Member

Typically the dogs should be better based on that is the premise of reproduction. The supplementation is light years ahead. I am a fence rider on nutrition as a whole because a raw chicken back then may be a healthier specimen than a drugged chicken of today. Just an opinion.

I too followed the frozen threads. The numbers of winners off the 'frozen greats' were amazingly low. I expected it to be a lot more.

Even the same from AI's but that is another topic.

Maybe I am little nostalgic but I would give the nod to the dogs of yesteryear. Reason being, it was easier to do dogs back then. Bigger yards were easier and more plentiful. On average the dogmen were better in comparison.

Maybe it would be better said I think the dogs should be better, but I believe the team from back then is better. If that makes sense.

S

7. c_note

c_note CH Dog

I agree wit Slim. Dogs are better IMO now, dogmen were better then. Both on a sporting basis, not casual owner

8. ELIAS'PISTOLA

ELIAS'PISTOLA CH Dog

I like that analogy...
    Like I mentioned, ther has always been undesirables in the sport as the compitition and gambling seem to bring...
    In the early part of last century it was the new york five that were gangster and thiefs in Armatages book...
    Maurice Carver was possibbly the best example, besides while in the milatary and on the yard, he never worked a day in his life... pure huslter...
    cheat...liar... thief... killer...etc...
    Joe Corvino was as gangster as it gets in chicagos heyday, yet the honest reverend Howard Heinzl was said to have stolen Joes dog/s...
    Ther are plenty of good dogmen also, but unless they beat those undesirables, they hardly get noticed...

I feel that say Mayfield, Anderson and Burton learned from Tudor, combined with evolution of say DEX, helped them be better than earl could be...

Same with the dogs there were the freaks, the aces and the dead game dogs but they were more rare cause of the population...

Now those dogs might be of equal calibre as the dogs of today, but do to the evolution of say understanding of nutrition has to make them have an edge just as you would if you were using the best in your keep...

I also agree with Slim that say most the bullshit you buy in a store isnt better than the natural fed chickens of yesteryear, so grow your own...

With all that, I do think the bulldogs being strickly bred for combat for another hundred years have evolved into better athlethes...

9. bamaman

bamaman GRCH Dog

I asked someone that has bred many CHs and Gr Chs why they never got frozen off any of thier great dogs of the past.They simply said the object of breeding is to get better dogs.I think the dogs now days are better jmo..Look around at some of the folks that have frozen semen and see how many are open to the public.Personally I see no sence in breeding backwards and if you have lost that much from your original stock , then I would say thier was some wrong choices made somewhere.JMO

10. ziggy311

ziggy311 Big Dog

I believe today dogs are better. I believe this for many of reasons.
    No matter how great a dog is you can find an area that has a short coming. Be it performance or production.
    I believe that years of weeding out each generation the impurities & building up on its strengths you develop thru evolution a better dog than the original .
    You have many of families of dogs that have produced dogs far better than the original dog that it's based on. Some such as Frisco & Bolio to just name a few. Families based on good dogs & had many of Grad Ch's but dogs that were not Grand Ch's themselves. Breeders know this.
    That's why they make the choices per generations. They do out crosses based on weeding out the short comings.
    I believe the purer the dog is on something the better it can reproduce like or better than dogs.
    A purer version of a dog has less flaw's than it's original version.
    So does the breed of dog becomes as a whole.
    Over the years more impurities as a whole have been weeded out.
    Dogs are just like everything else over the last 50 yrs. Body Builders have different physics , Cars have better material, designs & even drivers for there purpose. They far exceed cars of old. So do Air craft & so on.
    IMO saying dogs are better 50 yrs ago than today is saying that the 1st grade is better than the Masters degree.
    So much as changed.
    Dogs were just more freely used with less problems than they are today which gave a more different aspect of them.

11. Robertosilva

Robertosilva CH Dog

Imho people in the past didn't have connections or travel as far and made do with the dogs they had. That is why I laugh when people try and claim the APBT is the original pure Olde English Bulldog with no terrier. Such a romantic way of thinking thanks to Stratton and the like reinventing history. People used what dogs they had and it has been made clear that the old butchers dog or bulldog didn't have the speed or dynamics to make an exciting dog against other dogs.

12. c_note

c_note CH Dog

I disagree wit the first part. I feel ppl were MORE connected as the "group" was smaller. They seemed to know who had what and at what weight to get the shows done. I feel there are more avenues of communication today, but connections were stronger back then. "Famous," by today's standard, dogmen stealin from each other AND KNOWIN WHO HAD THE DOG tells a lot for me. How many dogs get stolen and used FOR YRS today? Guys shootin at each other one match, then a phone call or 2 later, they're "cool" at the next match! Hundreds of ppl at a weekend CONVENTION?? Bleacher seats and concessions? Outside at that! Capitol connections and more trust, a lil bit, than we have today.

13. Naustroms

Naustroms CH Dog

All that still relevant today. That's been the narrative since people have been scratching these dogs.

14. c_note

c_note CH Dog

Touch*. Can't argue that. I should have worded that better

15. CajunBoulette

CajunBoulette CH Dog

Well imo it would seem that dogs in the 50-70's era were better because probably 95% of matches were reported and had someone there write a narrative about them. When in today's era that is not the case, at least not stateside.

Sent from my 306SH using Tapatalk

16. bamaman

bamaman GRCH Dog

Witch hunt now days my friend.Word gets out you the witch lol

17. CajunBoulette

CajunBoulette CH Dog

Right not many these days walking around saying I got the baddest 42 pounder who wants some. Even if they think that

Sent from my 306SH using Tapatalk

18. ELIAS'PISTOLA

ELIAS'PISTOLA CH Dog

The chance of two greats geating together today,,,far exceeds the past, making for better compitition which would make the dogs better...

19. slim12

slim12 Super Moderator Staff Member

I understand every era has it positives and negatives. Dogmen of yesteryear were a cross section of society just like it is today. One of the reasons I lean toward the dog man of yesteryear is that a higher percentage of people with dogs were doing dogs as that was the purpose of having dogs.

Granted there were some hustlers and peddlers then to, but the hustlers and peddlers had a much smaller customer base. And when those dogs were peddled a higher percentage were checked. Today a dog/family can be peddled from peddler to peddler to peddler and two or three generations in the pedigree are untested/unchecked STUD/BROOD dogs with fabulous pedigrees. A slippery slope.

Being the numbers were smaller, and the chance of the dog being done were higher, odds are the dog was in a better place with a better dog man more times than not.

And maybe I fence ride on the topic the more I think about it. At the top of the food chain today's dog should be better than the top of the food chain dog from yesteryear. But based on percentages of then and now...if you were to take a helicopter and just fly around to you see a yard of dogs and drop down and get one at random from 2015 and then could do the same in 1960/70/80. I would bet on the average every day dog would be better back then.

My first dog was around 81 or 82 as a 13 year old (another sign of the times) and the yard of dogs that turned me on never had a brood dog or a stud dog. They were all working toward being a match dog, a match dog or a retired match dog. And the retired match dogs were bred, sold, or swapped in order to get more of the first two. As a young kid and into my 20's I thought every yard was the same.

It may be part nostalgia, I am not sure, but I believe the today's best should be better that yesterday's best, as that is the premise of breeding for the betterment. The more I think about it, the more I sway the other way.

S

20. Mashamplan

Mashamplan Big Dog

I believe a good dog from the past would be just as good now. Actually the good dogs from any era would be as good in any era.
    Taking nutrition, supplementation, science and knowledge about the working of a canine athlete or warriors body and its needs into account, given access to the same the dogmen of old would excell with their warriors of old.
    Its just my opinion that when making a comparison between the great dogs of the past and the great dogs of today then nutrition, supplementation and methods of keep shouldnt be an issue as the comparison should be done as if the dogs are being worked, kept, fed, etc the same or very similar.
    In anycase the comparison is merely opinion based and not factual, but it is an entertaining topic

Elmo Vee likes this.