1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Dogs of today - better or worse?

Discussion in 'APBT History' started by ABK, Oct 7, 2009.

1. redrumdog

redrumdog Top Dog

Breeders that bred their dogs over time got better as they got more experience with their bloodlines.They tested them hard, bred the ones they thought was the best .Sometimes it clicked very well and sometimes it didn't work as well but by culling out the less then desirable dogs they would get where they wanted to go.The law didn't bother them as much as today,so they where able to stay in the background and developed their dogs. To say that todays dogs would go through the best dogs of the past is not true.Its an opinion not a fact. The facts are that without the oldtime dogmen/dogs ,the dogs that you consider great today wouldn't exist. Some of the dogs of the past could bite extremely hard also.There are curs in both generations but I do prefer the oldtime breeders because they proved their dogs over time.

2. Yardboy

Yardboy CH Dog

Forget moving down south, I know they got nice ones and all but I'm thinkin more like Wyoming or Idaho.

3. Yardboy

Yardboy CH Dog

5hrs a day- I love working out. Lie detector- gladly as often as it takes. Wife- loves the dogs and listens to my ravings about them ALL THE TIME. Friends- lost em all when I quit doin drugs. I'd pick up a ch dogs crap with bare hands and a smile:D. I've never had extra money. I'm gone every other month but I think I might know somebody in Ohio who would partner up on a kennel with me;). Now all I need is somebody who wants a young man to help with his dogs for nothin more than experience.

4. Randy70

Randy70 Big Dog

I'm a true old timer with over 50 years with the pitbulls and hear is my opinion. There are thousands and thousands more pitbulls today than when I was young. Some of the dogs today I believe are better just like some the athletes of today are better. I also believe due to breeding just to be breeding and breeding for looks and color and today's laws have caused a lot bigger percentage of cur non-game dogs that aren't truly tested. UKC show dogs, blue dog weight pull dogs and other new type pitbulls also weigh in the percentages. So there are more good dogs out there but also a 1000 percent more cur dogs too. Randy Fox

5. Thunder98

Thunder98 Big Dog

Is this why there are so many frozen sperm thru A . I breedings, because they want what was really a bulldawg. Or is this just another way of improving the line. Seems when this method is used it has been watered down. Don't get me wrong in not against i my self would use this method to recreate that try one. Just confused because I thought you are to breed for better dogs:confused:

6. Wally123

Wally123 Big Dog

And maybe that's a good thing these days, keeps prying eyes away from the ones that do matter.

7. StarLion

StarLion Pup

So very true Wally, especially if the breed is banned in your area. As much as I can't stand the Am bullies and hybrids etc, I am very grateful for them. They have done a lot to sway the unlearned perception of what is a "pitbull" and that has given me a freedom of movement with my charges.

8. Mudville_Monsta

Mudville_Monsta Top Dog

That is one point of view that is more so likely fact than opinion.

9. stinkrock

stinkrock Top Dog

I Believe the dogs of yesterday was better. A lot of people today breed for nice papers. I've seen peds. With no winners in the first 8 generations.

10. AGK

AGK Super duper pooper scooper Administrator

Anyone with half a brain should hopefully have enough smarts in them to not be putting 1xW etc. On their online pedigrees in this day and age. Just because a pedigree isn't lit up like a Xmas tree don't mean them dogs haven't had their oil checked or even won a few. I know plenty of folks who do not post wins on their dogs peds so to most they would look like you describe.

11. CajunBoulette

CajunBoulette CH Dog

That's what I don't get, why someone has to be an idiot to have good dogs. Why would you want to put out there you are doing dogs

Sent from my 306SH using Tapatalk

12. stinkrock

stinkrock Top Dog

AGK and CajunBoulette I guess your right.

13. stinkrock

stinkrock Top Dog

Thought I was on another board that's overseas

14. CajunBoulette

CajunBoulette CH Dog

It's not just you they're people over here that just love when you add color and put numbers after your dogs name on PEDs. Now if you just know for sure that none of the dogs are touched then that's diff

15. c_note

c_note CH Dog

I think we have more talented and athletic dogs today than yesterday, just like ppl. I also think dogs and ppl had a lil more grit back in the day due to not bein so pacified. Think of the top athletes and dogs today and compare them to yesterday's. Bill Russell v. Dennis Rodman, Kareem v. Shaq, Jordan v. Kobe( this is the closest comparison IMO), ANY OLD PLAYER v. Lebron.... You can do that with any sport across the board and today's players are more "athletic or gifted." A lot has to do with nutrition and sports science advances. Imagine if Rodman played in the 60s? Or Kareem in the 90-00s. Lennox Lewis fighting in the 30s....

16. TROTLINE

TROTLINE Top Dog

One thing for sure if your matching today you better come with the good's! The days of hooking A young prospect up for A cheap first time out are tough! Another thing is nutrition it has to be A huge increase in making the dogs all around more than what they were, also more knowledge in not breeding dogs with genetic health problems. That being said if the old timers had everything we have it just might be more even!

17. AGK

If the dogs aren't better today then that of yesteryears then the breeding programs have failed. You breed to better not decline.

c_note likes this.
  18. Thunder98

Thunder98 Big Dog

I think they are better....but why are breeders holding semen in banks for 2 and 3 decades...were these all aces.... or have they lost something today that makes them want back what was had 2 or 3 decades ago..why go back if your good today. Would this be a sales pitch.

19. AGK

I look at frozen this way. Let's see how many ROM or Gr Ch's people can name that came from frozen. There isn't many, if any. I followed that topic for a while on 3 different forums and the masses could only come up with a handful
    At best.

20. CajunBoulette

CajunBoulette CH Dog

Just an opinion or theory of mine,but there prob isn't many because the people doing it are mostly after pretty papers and aren't doing much with said dogs. But in essence we should never have to go back and breed to the frozen, because he should have sons that were better, and they should as well and so fourth. Imo freezing semen is something you do with a young promising dog, that way you can still breed to him if he is somehow lost but showed well. That's always been my only interest in it