1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

dogs got stuck

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by kimbel2392, Dec 25, 2004.

1. kimbel2392

kimbel2392 Big Dog

Hey, I ain't new to this but just need some reassurance some my forum bothers-

first heat for female, don't wanna breed her but nov. 22 she went in heat . I kept her locked up and 27 days later let 'em play and he was stuck with her, ain't that a blip...

Now I know a heat USUALLY lasts 21 days but my question is

DO YOU THINK I GOT A REASON TO WORRY?

2. SFK

SFK Top Dog

Normally the bitch is only ovulating the middle week of the heat. So I would'nt worry to much, I'm just suprised she let him hook up. Most of the time when they are that late in the cycle they will run the male off. If she did take you can always have your vet abort the litter.

3. miakoda

miakoda GRCH Dog

not all vets will abort a litter as the mortality rate for your bitch is high & there can be some serious side effects with the abortion drugs they use. if you're still concerned, at approx. 28-30 you can take your dog & have a blood pregnancy test run.

4. rocksteady

rocksteady I'll drink to that..

All females are different and you can never 100% follow what a book says. You really have to watch and count the days. Some females are longer that 21, others less and then some never show signs right away It just depends on the female.

I would suggust starting a log and counting the days, even the days in between the heats, since knowing the days in these cycles will best help you deterime when her next heat will be, (it takes a few heats ) and how long it would take her to whelp (a good estamite)

I have a female who had a heat , then to the very day I bred her last year, went into heat again.. and it was less than 6 months (about 4)

Good luck, accidents happen. Have her checked by the vet to be sure and take extra good care of her.