1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

dogs and chain setups

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by sumair2412, Apr 10, 2010.

1. i was just wondering if anyone could give tips on how to get a dog/puppy used to living on a chain without barking all day, or any techniques

2. cutt

cutt CH Dog

give him time,(days,weeks,mths,) water, shade, a cool spot for him.. be patient

3. AGK

AGK Super duper pooper scooper Administrator

I use a bark collars turned on high so when they bark,they get lit up, they learn pretty quick.

4. Dream Pits

Dream Pits CH Dog

agk, do they bark once you take it off or do they just get used to not barking in your experience?

5. kera5

kera5 Big Dog

i just let bark and scream,soon enough they'll stop:D

6. Ugh yeah he barks, dogs are domesticated social creatures, they're not like feral cats or chickens. Be careful, the "vicious pits" you hear about in the media who attack toddlers, are the SAME ones chained outside without socialization.

7. benthere

benthere CH Dog Staff Member

BULLSHIT!!!!
    the "vicious pits" that attack kids and other people's pets are most often pets owned by people who have no business with a pitbull.
    "real pitbulls" or Bulldogs are born and bred to live on chains, chains are the safest, most humane way to house a bulldog. anyone who argues otherwise only displays their ignorance.

8. jsorrow

jsorrow Pup

Well answer me this? Are you just a complete dumbass. Our have you just been filled to the brim with liberal furry propaganda?

9. ElJay

ElJay CH Dog

i tried that once. didn't work on my little idiot. he'd just shake the pain off and keep screaming. lol

10. Bullnuts

Bullnuts Banned

Clack, clack with a 1377 and all is quiet!

11. Crisis

Crisis Pup

lol, vicious pits come from chains?? you watch too much tv homes, in all honesty out of every "pit" ive seen or been around...ive seen way more man eating house dogs than i have EVER seen on a chainspot........... not saying ive never met an aggressive bulldog on a chain but so far in my personal experience ive seen way more biters in a "house" enviroment.

12. Rojas

Rojas Big Dog

Get it used to be outside in its chain setup slowly, I started mine with an hour max at first, then gradually increase the time its in its chainset up, before you know it, it will be home to them.

13. Cato2011

Cato2011 Banned

I second a bark collar! Just don't get a crappy one from walmart. Get a dogtra or tri-tronics. They are roughly $100. I don't put them on a dog until they are about six months though. It will keep them from barking while it is on and significantly reduce barking while it is off. Just start on a low setting. Turn it up every couple of days. Most dogs don't take more than a "medium" setting.

Also, as an FYI, it isn't uncommon for a dog to freak out when it first gets shocked causing it to get shocked more. If this happens you can either let it ride and soon enough the dog will figure it out. Or, you can console the dog and turn the stimulation level down.

Either way works. I personally have never seen a failure with a good bark collar. I've used bark collars on literally hundreds of dogs.

14. ragedog10

ragedog10 Top Dog

I put them out at about 4-5mnths old depending on weather and for a bout a half hour or so then increase the time gradually and i always give them something to do a knuckle bone ect... to make the day go by for'em. But some of them just won't shut up lol.

15. I don't think this is the forum for you - you might be happier hanging out with the lying dog thieves over at Dogs Deserve Better.

Here are some real facts for you, which were very nicely compiled from a member of the group "Responsible Owners Against Anti-Tethering Legislation" on Facebook.

The following are 5 'facts' provided by Anti-Tethering groups they want you to believe:

1. "A study by the AVMA reported that 17 % of dogs involved in fatal attacks on humans between 1979 and 1998 were restrained on their owners’ property at the time of the attack.”

**Per this study, the other 82% (!) were UNRESTRAINED on or off their owners’ property. Oh, and by the way...AVMA would like you to know, THEY DIDN'T EVEN CONDUCT THIS STUDY! (Individual investigators did...including some from HSUS).

http://www.avma.org/advocacy/state/issues/javma_000915_fatalattacks.pdf

**Per Sacks, Sinclair, et al (2000): ”Of the 27 fatalities in 1997 and 1998…unrestrained dogs accounted for 23 deaths, while restrained dogs were responsible for 4 deaths.”

**Per lawcore.com: “…and the remainder (only 15%) of the fatal dog bite statistics are made up of dog bites from restrained dogs." 85% percent of all fatal dog bites are from UNRESTRAINED dogs.

http://www.lawcore.com/animal-and-dog-bite/statistics.html

2. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Study “Dogs most likely to bite are male, unneutered, and chained.”

***This study only looked at 18% of the dog bites reported in Denver county in 1991. This alone makes this statement invalid and inapplicable to even Denver County let alone dogs as a whole population.

http://www.cdc.gov/ncipc/duip/dog3.pdf

On an interesting side note, the CDC stopped tracking dog bites by breed as a risk factor (as this study was) in 1998 as they knew their findings regarding this were not science nor something to be used for public policy...as proponenents of breed specific legislation special interest groups were trying to do. AVMA and CDC issued a statement on it. They were tired of these folks using a ten year old study to try to get laws changed. No really, that's what they said. Read for yourself.

http://nationalcanineresearchcouncil.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/avma-cdc-2008-final.pdf

3. Fatal Dog Attacks, by Karen Delise:

“1965-2001, 25% were inflicted by chained dogs…” Here they also list reasons dogs attack, tethering not being one of them.

** Unrestrained dogs are again responsible for the significant majority (75%) of fatal dog attacks. Further, tethering isn't listed as one of the contributors to fatal attacks. This is their argument? Ha!

(I can only find a broken link to the study online, seems it's a book for sale now...).

4. The AVMA does not have an official policy or position on the tethering of dogs, regardless of what these groups want you to believe. See for yourself.

http://www.avma.org/issues/animal_welfare/policies.asp

5. 'USDA states tethering is inhumane.' Really?

**"Persons...who tether their dogs are likely to be using this means of restraint under circumstances differrent than those typical to wholesale and breeding facilities. In these cases, tethering may be a humane method of restraint."

USDA Federal Register

http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/FR-1997-09-25/pdf/97-25482.pdf

**Study from Cornell University: “There was no indication that tethering was more detrimental to the dogs' welfare than housing in a pen." Yeon, Golden, et al (2001)

http://www.ncraoa.com/PDF/Tethering/TetheringPenning

I am not fooled by your propaganda.

FACT:
    Tethers don't abuse and neglect dogs, irresponsible owners do.

16. mlmaas

mlmaas Top Dog

i got this cheap thing that puts out a high-frequency noise every time the dog barks, powered by a 9-volt battery. works like a fuckin champ.

17. ElJay

ElJay CH Dog

yeah, i tried that thing too. no dice. my pup is a retard tho. only thing that helps him is time

18. spliff

spliff Big Dog

always get one asshole like this every time a tread like this comes up...its a dog its not one of your kids its a fucking animal!!
    perhaps we should keep pigs and horses in the house as well?truth is some dogs prefer to live outside and the ones that don't well,they learn to deal with it.there animals they are not people no matter what you call them or what stupid outfits you make them wear.as long as the dog has food water and shelter there is nothing wrong with keeping a DOG out side.

19. spliff

spliff Big Dog

oh and to answer the ops question if you don't have neighbors let him bark.if you do,do as some of the other members suggested and stick an anti bark collar on him. eventually he WILL stop.

20. bianchi

bianchi Pup

what length of chain do most of yas use ?? as in 10 12 15ft etc ??