1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

doghouses

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by BDK, May 12, 2004.

1. BDK

BDK oo7

is there a better doghouse than a 55 gallon plastic barrel on a frame what kind of houses do everyone else use?

2. BigTex

BigTex Pup

if you live in a place with mild temperatures in the winter.....i dont believe there is.....they are cheap, easy, and work extremely well......since they are plastic they arent as likely to attract bugs....and are easier to clean.....and they are pretty warm even in cold climates.....but i wouldnt want just a barrel if it stays below freezing a big part of the year.....and when dogs chew them up....they dont break into sharp pieces like some of the plastic dog houses

3. My husband made me wooden dog houses with the openings off to the side so that the dog can get in and out of the way of the wind.

4. Bubba

Bubba Top Dog

We use barrells and they work great for us...

I don't much care for the wood houses, dogs seem to think they are chew toys and they are more of a pain in the ass when it comes time to clean them.
    BB

5. I had actually thought of the cleaning time when we sat down and drew out our plans. Our roofs have hinges just for easy cleaning :) And thus far my dogs haven't used their houses as chew toys. You can however see where the chain drags across when they go into them.

6. KURUPT

KURUPT Big Dog

Isn't there a post on here already where we went through this???

7. Bubba

Bubba Top Dog

I'm sure with a hinged roof, that cleaning it is simple...but...a wood house is more likely to become mildewy than a plastic barrel, and thats ANOTHER reason why I prefer a plastic barrell.
    And BNK is right lol we have already gone over all this in another thread.
    BB

8. Bravo

Bravo Pup

Plastic barrels are good in warm climes,

But are pretty much useless in the colder countries.

A good wooden insulated box,Full of straw will do the trick

Go to Dunkell kennels site for plans to a good wooden house

Bravo

9. Marty

Marty Guest

I myself have used both, either will do, game dogs will chew on both. My bitch Sheena likes to chew big hunks off and save for cold nights. I have to clean her dogs house out at least every other day and dispose of her saved toys, but I watch her she bites plastic or wood and spits it out and goes back for more. She is close to an oak tree that is 1-200 yrs old and she chews the bark off it. I have found at times if you have a chewing problem try taking some real hot peppers and rub around the corners and sometimes that will stop it. Keep up the good work guys all the info we can put out that we have learned thru the years will help all new owners. ;)