1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

doggy dundruff

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by DiMaSaLaNg, Mar 30, 2006.

1. DiMaSaLaNg

DiMaSaLaNg Big Dog

i just shifted to canidae and my dog's skin and coat got better...i just cant get rid of the dundruff and hair hasnt grown yet on some parts...

have you done anything to remedy this?

tnx for your inputs.

-bong

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 30, 2006
  2. DryCreek

DryCreek CH Dog

First off, very nice tat.

What I liked to do for my dogs is fry them up a piece of bread in leftover bacon fat. Good for their coat, natural, and cleans that nasty grease out of the pan at the same time. LOL

It can take a while for your dogs coat to get back on track, you can give a nice bath with an oatmeal based shampoo. It's soothing to the skin. And the spots of missing hair can be rubbed with a little bit of a product called Nu-Stock. It's a treatment for Red Mange that works wonders on hair growth, that you can usually buy at your local co-op or farm/feed store.

3. there maybe a possibility that ur dog got dandruff/meange from the insect in ur yard so its best for you to get some insect killer that wont harm dog

4. chinasmom

chinasmom CH Dog

Also, go easy on bathing. That tends to dry out the oils in the skin, therefore making it dry and flaky.

5. cary-dude

cary-dude Big Dog

bath your dog in cool water, not hot or even warm water,the cool water will have a much more soothing affect. the oatmeal shampoo works well, also.

6. Riptora

Riptora CH Dog

Did you get the dog checked by a vet? It could very well be a sign of something that needs to be treated. I am concerned about this because you are feeding a diet that should leave your dog with a good coat. I had a dog with horrible dandruff, he would literally burst with dandur when confronted by another dog! He was a dog with extremely awful allergies, but if you are feeding Canidae there should not be a problem with the dog's coat to the extent of dandur. A simple egg is great for the skin and coat and is cheap, easy to prepare and full or protein as well. I would get it checked out though. Let us know what happens!

7. DiMaSaLaNg

DiMaSaLaNg Big Dog

thanks guys!

i got rid of the dundruff already and i tried some of the things you suggested. i just used a local soap and shampoo in here...left in for 15 minutes then washed it off...

her skin and coat are much better right now. thanks!

8. Suki

Suki Guest

yeah, as mentioned, don't bathe TOO much. Dogs need their own natural oils, which will help to keep dandruff at bay.

as long as parasites and imbalances of hormones have been ruled out, you can try omega n-3 fatty acids, like what fish have, or even flaxseed oil. I've also heard of people adding a few teaspoons of oil to their dogs' food.
    be sure to exercise your dog and brush daily to help old cells shed themselves. the exercising and brushing will help to promote new proper cell growth.
    anyhow, hope this helps, and good luck!:)

be sure your vet has ruled out any possible health issues as the culprits for the dandruff

also, LOVE the tat!!!
    sweet!!!!:D