1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

dog training books????????

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by d-phi931, Jun 5, 2006.

1. d-phi931

d-phi931 Pup

Can i get some opinions some good dog training books anything that has to do with training. Also what do you think about clicker training?

2. I know of one book that I think is really good. "Gotta do somethin' 'bout that dog", it's written by Frederick Woodard. You can get it at Barnes and Nobel or online. It is based on positive reinforcement. I don't train with clickers or treats. I don't want to rely on anything other than the dog's natural urge to please it's owner. I know other people who train in all different ways, but this is what worked for me.

3. Riptora

Riptora CH Dog

Clicker training is great. There are a lot of benefits to that method. Timing is everything so make sure you watch some videos and do lots of research before you introduce your dog to the clicker. Be confident that you understand the tecnique before hand. Once you get it though, it's great and you can teach anything to do what ever they are physically capable of. It's a newer method so many trainers never learned it because they were comfortable doing things there way, which is fine too. It takes a little to understand exactly how to do it, but agian, once you have it, it's a nice way of training with little to no limits.

The woman who invented it trained chickens to play songs on the piano.