1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

dog t6ook off!

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by PIT_DOMINATION, Aug 8, 2006.

1. PIT_DOMINATION

PIT_DOMINATION Big Dog

i was taking my APBT for a late night run and she took off on me. by slipping out of her collar. what should her punishment be? i tried catching her and she wont come to me. the more i go after her the further she runs off. i dont drive so i cant get in a car and go after her. also right before she broke out of her collar she tried to pull me over the bike and slipped the leash out of mine hands but i caught her then. so what should her punishment be when she comes home?

2. laurajean

laurajean Top Dog

Umm, if you want your dog to come to you, it is best not to "punish" her when she does. Otherwise she will not want to come and can you blame her?
    You need to study up on dog training and also on how to fit a collar on a dog, so that the dog can't slip out. Especially you don't want a pit bull dog slipping out of her collar.
    Remember, the dog is a dog, she doesn't have the reasoning power of a human mind. She won't know what she is being punished for. If you are chasing her, she thinks that is a big game...
    I hope you have caught her and DO NOT PUNISH her. She could get hit by a car or get in a dog fight or get caught by the pound and it is your fault for not having her collar on properly. If you want to ride your bicycle and have her on a leash with you then, you need to train her to not yank the leash out of your hands. Dog training takes time and patience also some expertise. You need to find someone who will help you train the dog.
    You need to go look for that dog and try to lure her to you with food or her favorite toy. If you have punished her before she probably remembers that and that is why she doesn't want to come. I hope the dog is okay. don't yell at her or hit her if you do catch her. I know you are exasperated, but the dog doesn't know any better...you have to train her.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 8, 2006
  3. catcher T

catcher T CH Dog

In training we run the other way and make the dog chase us,,the dog runs from u because A. he is afraid to come back to u,,or 2. it has become a game to him,,there are several things u can do,,they all take an excessive amount of time,,these are called working on your recalls,,u can do this with food,,the dog is only hand fed,,put food in a coffee can,,shake the can then feed the dog,,then when he is running loose,,viola,,shake the can,,,or what I mainly do is use a long line,,mine is 32 ft,,train all my obedience on that,,stretch the line out and call the dog to u,,give a good pull so the dog feels the correction from a distance,,this is harder to do if u don't have the strength,,like me sometimes,,the best thing to do is work on obedience in a fenced in area for a long time and just never give him a chance to get away

4. jeeperino

jeeperino CH Dog

As far as punishment goes, that is up to you.
    Your dog is taking over the role as pack leader and making you follow her. You will have to be more assertive with her. That means NO jumping on furniture or the bed(getting on YOUR level) and make her work for EVERY piece of food she receives including meals. Only make BREIF eye contact with your dog then look away. By looking at your dog you are reinforcing her idea that she is the leader.
    I do have a lil trick for you. Buy a thin but strong piece of nylon rope about 10 ft long and tie it to her collar. Let it STAY ON ALWAYS. If you call the dog to come and she doesnt, step on the rope. Sometimes just step on the rope to mess with her head. After some training with the rope, the dog will think you have a magical power to keep her from running away. Also keep some VERY good treats on you when training to reward her when she does come. Take her out in the backyard and use the rope technique instead of a wide open area.

I suggest using a fenced in area (schools etc..) to run her in even after you have trained her. A STRONG retractable leash will also help. Just get the strongest one you can.

5. laurajean

laurajean Top Dog

So you have caught the dog?

6. Riptora

Riptora CH Dog

No punishment. Don't let it happen again! Bad YOU! Make sure that collar is an appropriate one, go to a prong if you have too and if she starts pulling you around on your walks, jerk her into place ( using as minimal force as what will work ). You can't punish her now. It'll make things worse. Give yourself a good slap on the hand and do a better job next time. Signed up for obedience trainnig yet?

catcher T likes this.
  7. miakoda

miakoda GRCH Dog

You can't punish the dog when you get her back. Why? Because she has NO idea that she is being "punished" for running off, rather she will only relate that punishment to coming to you or for being at your home & either way she will never respond to a "come" command again & will only avoid you more.

The best thing is just to get her home. Next, you need to buy a heavy duty 2inch collar & tighten it so you can just fit 2 fingers underneath it...any more & it's too big & any tighter you can do severe esophogeal damage to her.

Unfortunately this is just a situation of an untrained dog. Once you get her home & get her on an apporpriate collar & leash, then you need to start with the training & walking on a leash should be a high priority.

bahamutt99 likes this.
  8. PIT_DOMINATION

PIT_DOMINATION Big Dog

i caught her! just in time as she was going after my neighbors dodson! look at her pics she as a two inch collar (athena is the dogs name). she is trained she always walks right beside me. well actually beside me but a little behind me.she never pulls. weve been working on that for close to a year and a half.i can only get two fingers under her collar. i know all about that. it was my mistake. she just wanted to be an ass. shes on a chain set-up. so every once in awhile she trys something really dumb like this. the leash thing is how i caught her the first time. i always have liked the technique. usaully i play with her ex: running the other way to get her to come. i still need to work on her coming on command.i tried the food the once she ran out of reach and it didnt work. she a very stubbern dog. i just glade shes home and the lady got to her dodson in time.

9. Attila

Attila Guest

back that collar up with a choke chain. You must stay in control of your dog at all times. I hate that game where I call a dog and it doesn't come. I will not watch other peoples dogs now because of that very reason. My dogs come when I call them. I don't think that game is funny at all. You must learn to stay in control of your dog at all times. When a dog does that crap it thinks it is a game of chase It is having fun and you're not. You'll have to have it where one finger fits under it. A pit bulls neck isn't always much different than its head. Time to tighten down on that training and do a little less play and a little more stern training on obedience.

10. SApits

SApits Pup

It's not the dog's fault that the collar wasn't on tight. If your dog is used as a pet then it should come to you though proper raising. What if it would have slipped the collar in a yard full of other pits.... you might be minus a dog. be thankful for that.

11. chrisgr212

chrisgr212 Big Dog

u have to stand still and then start to call him. if he doesnt respon make a few steps back to chase u or call him with a toy or dessert.
    that worked with me and every time i call him he is coming back

12. BoiBoi

BoiBoi CH Dog

get urself a quality shock collar if u want ur dog to run beside u off the leash. The shock collar will also help in the come command a lot, after a while all u have to do is put the collar on the dog and not even use it they just know that they better come or else.

13. maryellen1

maryellen1 Guest

shock collars need to be used properly or they can do harm. you have to train the dog on a shock collar. they are not for everyone. some dogs are houdini's when it comes to collars, my 12 yr old rott x is one of them. so he is walked with a choker collar on attached to his regular collar and leash.. i can tighten his regular collar to where i cant get any part of my fingers under the collar, and he can still get out. but with a choke collar he cant.

14. bahamutt99

bahamutt99 CH Dog

There are also the martingale-style collars that will tighten to an extent and then stop. Collarmania.com makes some collars like that, and people seem to really like their work. But you can't be mad at the dog for seizing the opportunity. If you don't have a strong recall with her, and you don't tighten the collar to where she can't get out, its not her fault.

15. 440rider

440rider Guest

2" triple ply collar and make it fit snug!

16. PIT_DOMINATION

PIT_DOMINATION Big Dog

i dont blame her. if i get the collar any tighter it will choke her out. her neck and head are about the same size.

17. 440rider

440rider Guest

try a harness

18. missybee16

missybee16 CH Dog

Attila is right on. I always use choke chains, as well. Why most dogs do this is, they don't like your choice of control. If so, use a harness when running the dog. Can't get out of that at all.

19. Marty

Marty Guest

Use a double collar ;)

20. Suki

Suki Guest

I haven't gone thru this whole thread, so, without reading any other replies, your dog is not going to remember what he's being punished for. It's too after the fact. A reprimand has to be done immediately so your dog can associate the wrong behavior with the necessary correction. And a punishment upon its return will, imo, only add confusion to an already confused situation. Even if a dog takes off, when he/she returns by your verbal command, you should act upbeat, glad, for his return, based on your command to "come". Your dog will only get mixed signals by doing as you asked, (come), and then getting punished for it, even tho you are punishing for his taking off. Not fair to that animal. And also, if your collar was properly fitted, your dog shouldn't have been allowed to "slip thru it", imo.