1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Dog shakes eyes widen

Discussion in 'Training & Behavior' started by DreaminTexas, Dec 9, 2009.

1. Let me start out by saying my dog has caught and finished two squeirrels that have entered my backyard. Now I walk and use the flirtpole with her a good amount of the week. Whenever I go to let her outside now, she waits crouched almost belly to the ground, eyes wide looking at me then the door,muscles tensed up and her body is shaking allover..almost like shes shivering. When I let her out she tears into the yard. Even the noise of a squeirrel makes her tense and alert..again with this there is shivering. My question is, is this normal? Should I be at all concerned that shes eatting what she catches? I dont mind it but I dont know if its healthy shes so fixated even with regular exercise. Thanks in advance :D

2. budboy88

budboy88 CH Dog

naa my dogs eat shit they kill all the time and it just sounds like you have a real high energy high drive dog and thats a great thing

3. Good to know! As long as shes into it I'll let her keep catching em! Thanks! :D

4. Preciouspits508

Preciouspits508 Top Dog

My dog does the same thing,

5. The shaking just means she has a lot of pent up nervous energy, probably because she associates going outside with looking for squirrels. All the more reason to exercise her as you do.

You might be concerned about internal parasites any time a dog eats a raw squirrel, bird, rabbit or rodent.

6. ganja

ganja Big Dog

you should see my JRT bitch lol
    preydrive kicked in at 4 months old along with a high level of DA and started the shivering and focusing on rodents and dogs at that age, she's 10 yrs old now and it still hasn't stopped lol :rolleyes:

only time she does not shiver is when we're on walks... I can walk that girl off leash and pass dogs/squirrels/rats whatever and she doesn't move an inch, keeps looking at me the whole time, it's rather creepy lol

7. rallyracer

rallyracer CH Dog

welcome to prey drive

i wouldnt let your dog eat much- ~wild~ animals/birds are kinda full of filthy mc nasties

8. madboy

madboy Big Dog

Oh m8 ! what a laugh.....:p

9. DemonBT

DemonBT Pup

i would be conserned about parasites in those animals causing worms. My dog catches and kills birds on my porch, but I make him give them to me, hes not allowed to eat them.

10. dcmorey74

dcmorey74 Pup

Both my dogs do that.... squirrels, rabbits,even birds and mice if one comes in the back yard. I'm always fighting them off when a animal comes in the yard. lol.... I'm just glad when I say stop and drop it they do. :D

11. baconffa

baconffa Pup

well anything that comes in my yard that aint dog or human better move faster than my dogs cause if not they on that ass like white on rice 9 out 0f 10 times it dont make out the yard.

12. peppapig

peppapig Banned

squirrels do carry alot of types of nasties in them.....whether a dog eating them raw is a little dangerous im not sure....but they are known to poison humans if not cooked properly.....:cool:

13. magdalena

magdalena Big Dog

Just keep up the rabies vaccinations (or titers) and enjoy the lowered cost in dog food. :)

14. TheVictor22

TheVictor22 CH Dog

Nothing wrong with the dog. In fact i congradulate you. thats what they are supose to be. As stated I wouldn't let her eat too many of them. I live in the city so i wont let my dogs eat anything they catch. but if i were out in the sticks i would let em eat a few.... Any way good luck.

Vic