1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Dog has some sort of blisters between his toes...what is it?

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by semo, Aug 1, 2008.

1. semo

semo Top Dog

Ok, my dog is about 2 years old and I have noticed this summer that he is getting some sort of blisters between his toes. They almost look like they need to pop, but wont with pressure put on them. and can get the size of the head of an pencil eraser.

I have seen it on the front and back feet. I was wondering if it could be poison ivy or something. I live in missouri and during the days he is normally in his kennel. The kennel has straw on the ground and i have cedar wood chips from the store in his dogloo. He goes swimming sometimes and likes to run through the woods etc. He is on heartworm pills and frontline.

can anyone help direct me in the right direction, i don't really want to rush to the vet if it is something simple that can be taken care of at home.

If need be I can take a picture sometime. could this be some sort of yeast infection.

just trying to explore my options before i rush him to the vet.

Thanks, i will be gone till tomorrow, if i need to get a picture i can if it comes down to it.

2. Lethalpits

Lethalpits Top Dog

One of my kennel partner's has a dog who's feet are allergic to grass. Crazy, but he really is. Some dogs have really sensitive pads and feet. He has to put oil on that dog's pads sometimes. The vet also prescribed something but I do not recall what it is. If it is on all four paws he is probably either allergic to something, stepped in some fire ants maybe?, or possibly poison ivy but I don't know very many dogs that get the ivy or oak on their paws (usually on their bellies).

I would suggest a warm compress and benadryll for allergic reaction. You can give him an oatmeal bath, iodine, cortizone, or antiobotic spray. I put balm on just about any sore, rash or cut.

Get you a medicine box handy, your gonna need it with these dogs! They get into just about everything and come running up to you to fix it.

3. TIGER1

TIGER1 Pup

I have a bitch that got the same blisters when she was around 6months. I took her to the vet and it was called papilloma dogs ussually get it from old feces or a dirty yard. The vet told me to just keep a watch and if it got bigger she would need to get them surgery to get them removed she had a total of about 5 or 6 on her from and back legs and on all four feet, luckily within a month or so they were all gone.

4. semo

semo Top Dog

thanks.

I just looked last night as when i made this post i hadnt looked for a few days. It isn't as bad as it was so it is apparently getting better. It really isn't even worthy of a picture now so I guess i was over worried. It seems to be resolving well.

5. chinasmom

chinasmom CH Dog

I like your sig....

6. Dreamer

Dreamer Big Dog

7. ABK

ABK Rest In Peace

We had a female who had that on her paws. Turned out she was allergic to grass & the chemicals in new floor carpeting. :(

Since it is resolving it sounds like he may have run through something that irritated his paws or maybe something he was allergic too. If it ever happens again, try giving him a Benadryl pill at night & see if it gets better. If it does it's probably an allergy.

Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 2, 2008
  8. semo

semo Top Dog

thanks all.

what size benedryl pill do i give? i don't want to give him too much and hurt him.

how much and how often is safe with a dog when needed ?

9. semo

semo Top Dog

also the link that dreamer gave looks / sounds like it. is there anything that can be used to treat, such as something like neosporin or would i have to get something from the vet ?