1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

dog food

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by BigTex, May 2, 2004.

1. BoiBoi

BoiBoi CH Dog

Boss' Mom, thanks but i already know that innova evo has a very high protein diet thats because its the closest thing to feeding the b.a.r.f. diet which in my opinion and a lot of other peoples is the healthiest diet for your dog. Now that i think about it im pretty sure my dog must have some form of worms because i don't think any food would make him have diahrea for this long.

2. Noname

Noname Banned

Innova is well known for giving dogs the runs just as it is known for its recalls. How is evo similar to a BARF diet? There has been a number of individuals write about the harms of such high proteins in a dog food. I believe Texasbulldog even wrote something about it on this board? But would still like to here how it is comparable seeing how raw is 70-80% water and the highest protein of an animal is around 18%. A dog in a keep doesn't need that much protein. Hell from what I've been told by a number of people into nutrition. Not even sled dogs get such high percentages of protein.

3. dog-man

dog-man Big Dog

Sportmix premium lamb meal and rice formula

Hey guyz, I currently feed canadae, but its a lil more than what I can afford right now, been checking out some dog foods with no corn and found this brand , looks pretty good to me and its only $22 for a 43lb bag, what do you all say about this dog food, I think its alright , not great, especially for that price .

<table border="0" bordercolor="red" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"> <tbody><tr><td colspan="4"> <table border="0" bordercolor="red" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"> <tbody><tr><td colspan="5">Ingredients:
    Lamb Meal, Brewers Rice, Chicken Meal, Rice Flour, Rice Bran, Chicken Fat (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of natural Vitamin E), Dried Beet Pulp, Dried Egg Product, Salt, Yeast Culture, Potassium Chloride, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement, D-Calcium Pantothenate, Niacin Supplement, Choline Chloride, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Folic Acid, Thiamine Mononitrate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Biotin, Ethylenediamine Dihydriodide, Copper Sulfate, Ferrous Sulfate, Manganous Oxide, Zinc Oxide, Magnesium Oxide. </td></tr><tr><td colspan="5"> </td></tr><tr><td colspan="5">Guaranteed Analysis:</td></tr><tr><td colspan="5"><table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="300"><tbody><tr><td>Crude Protein (minimum) </td><td>23 </td></tr><tr><td>Crude Fat (minimum) </td><td>14 </td></tr><tr><td>Moisture (maximum) </td><td>10 </td></tr><tr><td>Crude Fiber (maximum) </td><td>3 </td></tr></tbody></table></td></tr></tbody> </table> </td></tr><tr><td colspan="4">
    </td></tr><tr><td colspan="4">
    </td></tr><tr><td colspan="4">
    </td></tr></tbody> </table>

4. Game Face

Game Face Pup

try rebell get half a pallet for 110.00 at the feed store its a maintain food about 11.00 a bag no corn

5. NC

NC CH Dog

ok I finally decided on an affordable brand and I', in the process of switching my dogs over to it. Diamond lamb and rice large breed puppy, 24.00 for 40lbs..not bad and its better than ol' roy and those other cheap-o brands. And they didn't turn their noses up to it when I fed them some out of hand today.

6. BoiBoi

BoiBoi CH Dog

Um ok so does anybody on this forum even know what they are talking about anymore. A little over a month ago i posted a thread because i wanted to find out what was the best possible food to feed my dog because at the time i was feeding him junk supermarket food. All i ever heard was that if u can afford it get innova evo, its the best possible stuff for your dog and now i got this telling me that the food isn't all that good. Whats funny is that EVO was rated at the top on the dog food analysis website so what am i supposed to believe now?

7. Boss' Mom

Boss' Mom Big Dog

Well, I've always thought that the evo has an unhealthy protein content. Some people like the food, and I suppose some dogs do well on it. I'd have to assume only dogs that are extremely active do. Anyway, I just don't think the evo is a good choice. There are plenty of health foods that have a normal protein content that are very high quality. Also, I'm pretty sure the evo has a high grade, but when grading the foods, I don't think you add or take away points for protein content, that may be the reason for it being "one of the top foods." Correct me if I'm wrong anyone :)

BoiBoi, if you think your dog is doing well on the food, and want to keep him on it, go for it. We're just trying to let you know that a lot of people agree the protein content is too high and that people have had problems with the food. Good luck! :)

8. BoiBoi

BoiBoi CH Dog

Boss' Mom, The most problems i've heard that people have had with the EVO is kidney problems and that was because the dog already had problems with its kidney's and the EVO just exposed it. Anyway im gonna stick to the EVO for a little while longer atleast until i get the worm tests done then i can see if it was the food or worms.

9. 14rock

14rock GRCH Dog

High Protein is fine in a active dog, as long as it has no underlieing kidney problems. It doesnt cause illnesses, it simply brings them forward if they are present. Innova Evo is a good kibble, the best? I dont think so, but its definetly top 3 and I would feed it.

10. BoiBoi

BoiBoi CH Dog

thanks 14rock, I feel confident that my dog will be at his best with this food so until something comes up im gonna stick to it.

11. maryellen1

maryellen1 Guest

Boi Boi, if you are going to keep your dog on the EVO, then i suggest having regular blood tests done every 6 months to make sure the 42% protein is not causing problems with his kidneys....

12. BoiBoi

BoiBoi CH Dog

Read 14rock's post right before mine. My dog doesn't have kidney problems and the food won't cause him to have any kidney problems later.

13. maryellen1

maryellen1 Guest

i didnt see 14 rocks' reply.. oops.. i would still even though your dog is healthy do blood work to make sure.. just my opinion. another great food is www.timberwolforganics.com they deliver to your door.