1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

dog food

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by BigTex, May 2, 2004.

1. gator

gator Big Dog

The size of your yard does help in your decision making also.

2. MMK

MMK Guest

yeah u can only buy what u can afford. right now i am down to 3 dogs as i did some heavy culling before rebuilding my yard. i got what i like now and going to work on some good breedings to build my yard back up from keeping everything i breed. so i like to splurge and feed them the best i can. but when i was up at around 10-15 dogs they seen alot more periods of cheapo food. and i definetly never see my self going over 20 dogs. too much work and money to keep up with that many.

crg8 yeah i like the chicken soup brand alot and would recamend it to anyone.
    MMK

3. I've got a friend who's got like 22 dogs on the yard now and every single one of those dogs gets fed Nutro Natural Choice. My friend said a full 5 gallon bucket is used every day to go out to feed the dogs. That's a lot of dog food!

4. slimm

slimm Pup

I am using Canidae, but I have only one dog:o. It is less expensive than Bill Jac, and around the same as chicken soup. he seems to love it, but he would probably love dry noodles too;)

5. Bubba

Bubba Top Dog

I've heard good things about that Canidae...unfortunately, I just don't have pockets deep enough to be able to feed it. We feeding Diamond green to the adults and Diamond puppy to the pups...for the adults we are going thru about 50lbs per week, which ain't really all that bad, I got a buddy that goes thru about 60lbs per day lol.
    BB

6. slimm

slimm Pup

Whoa 50lbs a week. 60lbs a day is unimaginable. This bag cost me $32 for 40lbs.

7. BBK...how many dogs do you have on your yard? I can't remember what my friend said they go through a week. Might be more now that there are 22 dogs on the yard.

8. Bubba

Bubba Top Dog

Right now we are down to 14, plus 7 pups at 5wks old.
    BB

9. Cool. So I'm thinking my friend probably goes through just as much...if not a little more...dog food a week. That's crazy LOL!! My friend feeds Nutro Natural Choice. I went and priced that stuff and it's not cheap at all. I feed it every now and then but mostly stick with Pro Plan. When in a pinch I'll feed Diamond but I don't like the results I get from it. One of these days when we've struck the lottery and become rich rich people I'll put every dog I'll ever own on a raw diet ;)

10. Bubba

Bubba Top Dog

We have fed the BARF diet and loved it, did it for about 1.5yr, give or take a couple mos...its not expensive if you can find a hook up. Go find a butcher and find out what they do with the scraps. My butcher here has to pay to dispose of his scraps, so I went down there and I would pick them up for him everyday...free Cow, Deer......the only thing I wouldn't take is the pork and he would put that seperate for me. Just an idea...
    BB

11. That's awesome. I had contacted the only butcher out this way and he got all anal on me and wouldn't even let me buy any of the scraps. Said he'd get in trouble for it or some crap like that. I was like "ok whatever dude....it's not for me it's for my dogs." But he was adimant about not letting me have any of their scraps :confused:

12. gator

gator Big Dog

Damn never heard of a butcher doing that before. Where are you from?

13. Bubba

Bubba Top Dog

Tenn...its a menonite butcher...kinda like the amish people...
    BB

14. gator

gator Big Dog

Sounds strange to me but then Im not familiar with the Amish ways so I`ll keep my mouth shut on that...

15. Without actually coming right out and saying where I am...I'm not quite in the central part of the US but I'm not really in the Western part either. I'm like between Central and Western parts. And I'm in a very small community too:o

16. red_light

red_light Pup

i feel stupid on asking this question but can you please tell me what a BARF diet is........ thanks!!!!

17. Bubba

Bubba Top Dog

The BARF diet stands for Bones And Raw Food...

When we fed it, we fed Monday-Friday meat...nothing else but meat. Everyday I would gauge it to how my dogs looked and how they acted, and I seemed to have done real good on it and so did the dogs. On Saturdays, the dogs would get what ended up being a "slop" of veggies, fruits, and a bunch of tuna or some other fish...and Sundays we would fast, meaning no food. The purpose behind the BARF diet is to bring them closer to a natural WILD feed...and I'll tell you what...never have my dogs looked and seemed healthier than when they were on it. We feed it for about 1.5yrs...it took a bit to get it right and the amounts right...and it is a helluva lot more time consuming than kibble. One day we'll be back to feeding BARF...
    BB

18. red_light

red_light Pup

thank you very much for the info bro!!!

as i scanned through the posts, i saw someone mention about scraps being included in the barf diet.....can you please enlighten me on this one..........thanks again!!!!

19. Bubba

Bubba Top Dog

Scraps meaning meat scraps...the leftovers that the butcher has from his daily butchering...
    BB

20. red_light

red_light Pup

thanks again BBK!!!

but i do think that meat scraps from butchers there in the US is very much different from the meat scraps here in philippines. can you tell me what kind of meat scraps(part of the body) should be feed and not feed to the dogs. thanks!!