1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Dog food blues

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by pit#5, Sep 13, 2009.

1. pit#5

pit#5 Banned

These days I have to concede
    There are lots of things I’d like to have or do and one item would be to use the best food for my dogs, but these days moneys tight and I have 3 dogs
    I believe one is a PB mastiff since his fathers head and face looked like one then is my 5 month femal PB and a toy poodle. None the less I can’t feed them food that cost $30 to $50 for the modest poundage that goes along with top foods. I’ve done the research I know the truth about foods but money is a concern; it comes down to trying to make every body happy. Kids want things, wife, bills, so these days I am using Old Roy skin and coat wile there is corn, wheat, even corn gluten
    atleast lamb meal is the first ingredient . Now comes the rub they look great on it and they eat it even I am impressed by the fact when wet it’s size stays about the same They have really liked it from day one, and I am on my 3erd bag now in the last 2.5 months I have spent $40 with tax and still have plenty left. I was spending $55 per month before.
    If some body can tell what might be the best food to feed using the Old Roy skin and coat as my budget amt I'd like to here about a better choice at that price.
    Thanks

2. mastiffsj

mastiffsj Big Dog

can you get diamond where you are? it's not the best, but it's better than ol roy...

3. Muttkip

Muttkip Big Dog

What about Kirklands? You can find it at Costco and it's a pretty decent food at a nice price!
    <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

4. TNK

TNK Pup

That stuff at Sams Club aint bad,better then Ole Roy for sure
    $12 for 50lb I believe ?

5. pit#5

pit#5 Banned

I guess I’ll look into it, I just did a fast search on the old Roy not necessarily the skin and coat. But HECK a blog on old Roy seems to have a over whelming amount of pets DIEING from kidney failure and other unexplainable events, some people have lost multiple dogs Not to mention there seems to be a lot of recalls, shit man I want to save some money not kill off my dogs!! <O:p</O:p
    A company I was using Holistic Health “Vets Choice", food is pricy, but they have a performance version with some corn but other wise good human grade ingredients $39 for 50 pounds might be my safest choice. I know my dog won’t die on it and it’s made in the USA<ST1:p</ST1:p, Old Roy is a mystery as to where it is manufactured. <O:p</O:p

6. Robber

Robber Big Dog

Yeah, we use that for foster dogs and it is pretty decent for the $. You can tell it isn't top of the line, but you can also tell it is much better than a lot of other stuff that costs as much or even more.

I have switched to feeding my own dogs Taste of the Wild exclusively because Nutro Natural Choice has really jumped up in price by me and it simply isn't worth what it costs(35 lbs of NC large breed L&R is now $54) - TOTW has no grain and it is only $38 for a 30 lb bag.

7. KINGKRACKER1

KINGKRACKER1 Big Dog

i Have Recently Switched To "eagle Pack" Original...25/15 It Does Have Corn But Is Handpicked And Cooked And 99% Digestible...pork Meal Is The First Ingredient Along Woth 3 Oyher Meat Sources...i Only Have To Feed 2 8oz Cups A Day To My 4olb Male And 2 1/2 To My 50lb Male..nice Firm Stools And Alot Less Clean Up...:d

8. Lee D

Lee D CH Dog

i feed diamond. its not the best by any means, but if you can find it, its better than ol roy and it wont break the bank.

9. GSDbulldog

GSDbulldog CH Dog

Diamond, Kirkland, Blue Buffalo, and Canidae are all decent brands with good prices.

10. therealjudge

therealjudge CH Dog

sams club sells a good one too called exceede I think

11. performanceknls

performanceknls Top Dog

This is not a new fact I would never feed that crap to any dog.
    I use Kirkland chicken and rice from costco. It is a great food and I have all my show and performance dogs on it and they look great. It is 22.99 for 40lbs you cannot beat that! They compare to good foods like nutro (before they went to hell) but they are not grain free. So if you have a dog that has to be on grain free, we use taste if the wild. The two dogs that have to eat grain free eat taste of the wild and I can buy it at the feed store. There are much better foods than what you are feeding, hell pedigree is better than ol' roy.

Just because you have to cut corners on some stuff if you have a costco you don't have to cut corner on the dog food. I would rather go without than make my dogs eat food that is not good for them. If I cannot afford to feed my dogs a good food like costco (only $23 a bag) then it is time to start cutting back on dogs.

12. pit#5

pit#5 Banned

<O:p</O:p
    The Costco food sounds great I am not sure we have a Costco around here, but we do have Sam’s and I know my wife's friend has been feeding her dog Sam’s lamb or the Chicken and rice since she first got her dog , a Norwegian Elk Hound This dog lives out side and is a healthy dog, $29 for 45 or 50 pounds <O:p</O:p
    To all thanks I see I will be able to find a good food that works.<O:p</O:p

Worth looking into as I think I remember Eagle was a good price<O:p</O:p

I tried diamond once but I thought my dogs coats looked very dry <O:p</O:p

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 15, 2009
  13. Pit Bull Pride

Pit Bull Pride Big Dog

We use Diamond Hi-Energy. $22 for a 50lb bag and the dogs look great on it, less bm's too.

14. Buck E. Owens

Buck E. Owens Banned

I feed Kirkland's Super Premium lamb and rice,for adults. And pups get Kirkland's Super Premium Puppy (the Chicken stuff) but have 8 dogs now thats the main reason,

i get moose meat theses days to, so i add raw too, for both pups and adults. but chicken is a good supplement I'm finding these days!

I wouldn't even feed ol' roy ain't worth being a statistic IMO

15. AGK

AGK Super duper pooper scooper Administrator

If you have a Sams Club there, I would pick up a back of Exceed (black & yellow bag) It's about the best food your going to find for it's price. I use Taste of the Wild Salmon myself, but I did use exceed for years and it always had my dogs looking great, and ready to work. I just switched to TOTW because of it being grain free. Hell, I know you got a walmart where you live (they're every where now-a-days) You could always go with Purina One or Iams both are decent commertial dog foods that are less costly than other not so good brands..

16. KINGKRACKER1

KINGKRACKER1 Big Dog

I WAS FEEDING EXCEED CHICKEN -N-RICE FROM SAMS CLUB BUT...THEY TOOK IT OFF THE SHELVES AROUND HERE...AND NOONE AND SAMS CLUB CAN TELL ME WHY???:confused:

17. AGK

Don't know, I haven't been to a sams club in quite a while.

18. Robber

Robber Big Dog

Yeah, I like the salmon formula, too. I mix in some of the "high prairie" type once in a while(beef), but it is very high protein to use exclusively(like 26%, whereas the fish formula is 22% or so, I think).

19. AGK

The parrie blend is 32% protien. I use it to, but I mix it with water just to make sure they can flush away excess protien ( I also do this with the salmon blend).I just went to the Salmon version because my Koda started getting hot spots on his rear end so I figured I's swithch from the Beef to the Salmon because of all the omega-3 in it but If that don't work Sulfidine should. I just figured I'd try the blend switch first.

20. AGK

Koda is 9 months old and has been on the Prarie TOTW since he was 10 weeks old, and I haven't had any problems with him at all, if anything, he is my best conditioned dog currently. If you mix the feed with water you won't really have to worry about the high protien problem. I like the higher protien because my dogs are very active and are worked hard on a regular basis. My Vet also tells me that although TOTW seems to have a higher protien content than other dog foods he said that it's with in normal limits for a K-9 to have....