1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

MD: Dog fighting paraphernalia legislation moves forward in Baltimore City Council

Discussion in 'Pit Bull News' started by Vicki, Nov 4, 2015.

1. Vicki

Vicki Administrator Staff Member

Dog fighting paraphernalia legislation moves forward in Baltimore City Council
    WMAR Staff
    5:47 PM, Nov 3, 2015

BALTIMORE - A City Council Committee passed legislation that would put people behind bars for possessing dog fighting paraphernalia.

As city law stands now, a person engaged in dog fighting can't be arrested and charged with that crime unless they're caught with dogs in the home. The leads to many people not being charged with dog fighting, even when evidence of the activity is found.

The legislation is supported by the Baltimore City State's Attorney's Office, the Baltimore City Health Department, Baltimore City Police and Mayor Stephanie Rawlings-Blake.

It will now go to the full City Council for a full vote.

Dog fighting paraphernalia legislation moves forward in city council - ABC2News.com

-----------------------------------------------------------

New legislation could help put an end to dog fighting in Baltimore

Christian Schaffer
    11:26 PM, Nov 2, 2015
    8:19 AM, Nov 3, 2015

Tuesday in Baltimore City there will be a public hearing on a bill that would give police and animal control new tools to stop dog-fighting.

Right now it's possible for investigators to find every indication of a dog-fighting ring, and still not be able to make any arrests.

“There is right now a gap between dog-fighting and the paraphernalia. And oftentimes animals are being fought are not kept in the same place where the paraphernalia is,” said Katie Flory, Chairwoman of the Mayor's Anti-Animal Abuse Advisory Commission.

Paraphernalia like treadmills, "break sticks" used to un-clamp the jaws of fighting dogs.. and "rape stands" used to restrain aggressive female dogs, so they can be forced to breed.

Earlier this year Mayor Stephanie Rawlings-Blake introduced a bill that would make that type of dog-fighting equipment illegal in Baltimore City.

The fine would be $1000 for each offense; it could also include jail time.

The public hearing on that bill in front of City's Council's Health Committee is scheduled to start Tuesday at 1:00.

New legislation could help put an end to dog fighting in Baltimore - ABC2News.com

2. slim12

slim12 Super Moderator Staff Member

That is sad. Not to minimize or trivialize the dogs, and not to make one law more of a priority over another, but....with that said.....

Has Baltimore solved enough of its other problems that owning a treadmill starts to get some attention? Not living in the area, but I am going to guess not.

So if you have a glad sandwich bag in one place and a perceived dope house in another, then the sandwich bags are now paraphernalia for the dope squad?

If you have a racing carburetor at the shop you can be convicted for illegal street racing?

Not making fun, or being too trivial, but it is kind of dumb to me.

S

3. bluedoglover

bluedoglover Top Dog

I hope I can help with this, because my cousin lives there. :(

4. stinkrock

stinkrock Top Dog

This is crazy. With almost 300 murders this year. They worrying about treadmills and breaking sticks. I myself grew up in Bmore. Also still have family living there.

5. bluedoglover

bluedoglover Top Dog

Same here man.

6. Kenaii

Kenaii Pup

I know someone who exercises a husky on a treadmill. Is that person a dogfighter now?

I'm probably preaching to the choir here, but this legislation is total BS.

7. Saiyagin

Saiyagin Chihuahua

Once again this is another bullshit fucked up law. This new bullshit law can and will put INNOCENT people in Jail in any state that makes these certain items illegal to own. There are many and I mean many dog owners who own either a break stick and or a treadmill, yet they do not participate in any illegal (dog fighting) activities.

There are AKC and UKC show breeders who use treadmills to condition there dog before a major AKC or UKC event and that would make anyone in the state of Baltimore who wants to condition there dogs using a treadmill to prepare for those sanctioned events ILLEGAL. Unless they are only targeting pitbulls and not any other breed of dogs, which would make this a racist,prejudice and unjustly law. Even the famous Cesar Milan recommends using treadmills for any breed of dog as treadmills have become more and more of a popular tool with many many dog owners utilizing them for there dogs own health and well being. Break sticks can be used to STOP/BREAK UP a fight no matter what breed it is. Now let me take this shit one step further, since its illegal to own a treadmill, break stick, breeding stand etc....will the manufacturers/sellers/distributers of treadmills, break sticks, breeding stands etc be penalized as well? or is there a catch 22? LMAO

All these bullshit paraphernalia laws do is take away more of our constitutional rights and freedom.

8. david63

david63 CH Dog

Bod Stevens got in some trouble for selling some videos on the Internet. and some states call it animal cruelty and brought charges against him across state lines. The higher court found him innocent of it.

9. stinkrock

stinkrock Top Dog

Baltimore is the city which is located in Maryland.

10. david63

david63 CH Dog

Well look at Baltimore its corrupt anyway.Look at your last Mayor she was an idiot.

11. F.D.

F.D. Top Dog

The manufacturers of treadmills and slat mills need to step forward to demonstrate that their products are used by owners of many breeds. I think it should be possible to fight charges based on this bullshit and maybe to go after the city with a lawsuit.

12. F.D.

F.D. Top Dog

And break sticks are used to stop fights. But it takes money to fight these assholes.

13. bluedoglover

bluedoglover Top Dog

I email the city for my cousin. here was their response...

Good Morning ******,

Thank you for writing me.

Bill 15-0558, Animal Fighting Paraphernalia, is meant to support current efforts to combat dog fighting in Baltimore. This bill adds a definition of “animal fighting paraphernalia” and defines prohibited conduct with animal fighting paraphernalia, specifically that there must be a demonstrated intent to use the paraphernalia to engage in, promote, or facilitate a dog fight.

The bill is not meant to prevent anyone who engages in safe and responsible dog ownership and training from having or using the items listed in the bill and, as proposed, this bill does not ban ownership of the items listed in the bill. The bill is meant to allow the Health and Police Departments to gather evidence and if there is evidence that a person intends to use or has used the types of items listed in the bill for dog fighting, then that person could be subject to civil and criminal penalties.

For additional information on the bill, here is link goes to the bill*s file page on Legistar (the City Council*s legislative database): click here. And this link goes directly to a pdf download of the bill: click here. Additionally, the Legistar system allows you to track any legislative matter before the City Council, create alerts, and receive emails about legislative activity. To create an account and receive alerts, go to the Legistar website and click the link at the top right hand corner labeled “sign in”. Clicking that link leads you to a page that allows you to create an account or sign-in to your account. Once an account has been created and you*re signed in, a tab will appear at the top of the website labeled “alerts” and clicking that tab opens a page that allows you to set up an alert for this bill.

14. bluedoglover

bluedoglover Top Dog

Items listed under paraphernalia are as follows.

- cat mills
    -slat and carpet mills
    -spring poles
    -dog pits
    -break sticks
    -rape stand
    - anything closely related to dog fighting

what you can use instead.

i just use a large stick i found for a break stick. and human treadmills work as well. use artificial insemination instead or rape stand. but that's just me.

15. Saiyagin

Saiyagin Chihuahua

This bill is backwards. What do I mean by backwards? It means your already guilty until proven innocent LOL. How does one prove intent????? The only way to prove intent is by a confession other then that there is really no other way.

For example if you own all the paraphernalia listed and have 3 or more pitbulls on chains, guess what? You are already guilty because you own those paraphernalia regardless if you are completely innocent. This bill just gives law enforcement more authority to abuse there powers and get away with it with less repercussions.

They want you to create a account so they can put you on there list and silence you LMAO.

16. bluedoglover

bluedoglover Top Dog

damn straight. the only places i have my email attached to are this place, other game dog sites, and ped sites. didn't even READ the account part at first!

(and as someone who lived in Baltimore, there is no major dog fighting issue.)

17. stinkrock

stinkrock Top Dog

Someone in Baltimore just got found guilty because they had made a wooden frame across his human mill to keep the dog on it.

18. Saiyagin

Saiyagin Chihuahua

Whoomp there it is LOL....that's why its not advisable to modify a human treadmill because once you modify it then can claim you used it for the intent of a illegal activity.

19. bluedoglover

bluedoglover Top Dog

i know someone who puts the mill next to a wall and then puts the couch on the other side