1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Dog-fighting 'godfather' given prison (Ed Faron, WSK)

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by mastiffsj, Feb 13, 2009.

1. mastiffsj

mastiffsj Big Dog

http://www2.journalnow.com/content/2009/feb/13/dog-fighting-godfather-given-prison/

Pit bulls are scheduled to be euthanized, but advocates want mercy

By Monte Mitchell | Journal Reporter
    Published: February 13, 2009

WILKESBORO - A nationally known pit-bull breeder based in Wilkes County pleaded guilty yesterday to 14 counts of felony dog fighting and was sentenced to 8 to 10 months in prison, according to the Wilkes County Clerk of Court office.

The breeder, Ed Faron, 61, also must serve a lengthy period of supervised probation when he gets out of prison, and may not own, possess or care for any dogs, as part of the plea agreement. Exact terms of the probation were unclear yesterday.

Faron is to report to prison on March 5. His adopted son, Donni Juan Casanova, who was also arrested in the raid, pleaded guilty yesterday to one count of felony dog fighting, according to the clerk's office. Casanova was sentenced to a six- to eight-month prison sentence that was suspended, and he was ordered to serve 24 months of supervised probation, including six months of intensive probation.

Wilkes County has possession of the 127 pit bulls that were seized in a raid on Faron's Wildside Kennels property in a mountainous area off Mertie Road on Dec. 10. The county was awarded custody of the dogs by a judge last month after Faron failed to pay nearly $53,000 the county had asked for their care. A large number of puppies have since been born, and the dogs are being held at undisclosed locations.

The court file yesterday did not include notice about the disposition of the dogs, according to the clerk's office.

John Goodwin, the manager of animal-fighting issues for The Humane Society of the United States, said yesterday that a judge will decide the fate of the dogs later. The Humane Society worked for three years on the investigation, in cooperation with Wilkes County Animal Control and the Wilkes County Sheriff's Office.

Goodwin said that Faron was one of the nation's largest breeders of fighting dogs and wrote a book many consider to be the bible of the underworld of fighting dogs.

"I think this is showing dog fighters that even their godfathers are being prosecuted and sent to prison," he said.

Goodwin said that the dogs have been bred for fighting and it would very difficult and expensive to re-train the dogs, even the puppies, so that they could be adopted.

County officials have said that the dogs would be euthanized. Officials did not return a phone message yesterday.

"I think there's a county ordinance that requires it," Goodwin said. "It's not a matter of would, could or should. It's the law."

Other animal advocates believe that the dogs should be adopted to homes. Best Friends Animal Society, which runs one of the nation's biggest animal sanctuaries, has offered to have the dogs spayed or neutered and to assist the county with placing them.

"To make the judgment that all these dogs are dangerous, solely on basis of their breed, is simply wrong," Ed Fritz, a spokesman for Best Friends, said in an e-mail.

Best Friends has been working to rehabilitate 22 of the pit bulls seized in the Michael Vick dog-fighting case, a continuing work that has been featured on the National Geographic Television series DogTown, which is set at Best Friends' 3,700-acre animal sanctuary in Utah.

Sheila Carlisle of Morganton said she has been helping to care for the grown pit bulls and many puppies, and that the dogs are adorable.
    "I've fallen in love with them," she said. "I don't want to cause anybody any problems with the court system, but I want these dogs saved."
    <!--startclickprintexclude--><!-- lhsrail -->

2. mastiffsj

mastiffsj Big Dog

may john goodwin rot in hell

3. prpitdawg

prpitdawg Top Dog

i may have read it wrong somewhere but i thought the judge was going to allow the dogs to be saved. what a waste! also, does anyone know, in the plea agreement it says that he cannot own, possess, or care for any dogs, is that for life or until the end of his probation?

4. Nauseating...just nauseating. More Pitbull genocide...

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 13, 2009
  5. StopBSL

StopBSL Top Dog

What I want to know is how many "godfathers" are there supposedly in dog fighting. Doesn't the mob only have one? I mean they used that term with Floyd, Pat and now with Ed.

I think it's a buzz word to elicit fear in everyday citizens. Like he has hired guns and will cut off your fingers if you don't pay the protection money or something.

Either way. . . I think it's sad that these dogs will probably die. As for Ed, his contribution to the breed is undeniable but he should have learned a long time ago (if not recently with the events that have happened) that the days of the box are done for these dogs.

We need to preserve the breed with all of it's ability and temperament in tact. But, that doesn't mean we HAVE to test them the way we used to. . . And, it definitely doesn't mean we should be advertising or selling dogs to others for those purposes. It doesn't help us with the current BSL fight one bit.

6. pitbullin

pitbullin Big Dog

Why would u even began to criticize Ed. even in a undertone....
    im just gonna leave it at that....

that pissed me off so bad.....

7. StopBSL

StopBSL Top Dog

Sorry. But, I believe that he should never had said the things that he said which started this. And, regardless of anything else he made himself seem guilty (even if he really isn't, which I do not know if he is or not).

I know a lot of people won't like that I would say anything. . .and I am not saying I don't feel for him. He may have been caught off guard and may be innocent. What they tried to do with the fees for the dogs is outrageous and underhanded and I know they do a lot of illegal and immoral things trying to get these convictions.

However, in the fight to save the breed its important that we display a good image for the dogs sake. The HSUS uses a platform of "if you ban pit bulls you will make life unpleasant for dog fighters, criminals and gang members because they are the ONLY people that own these dogs."

When they try and come after respected breeders and lose it's just proof to the contrary. But, with cases like this they will be using this for years to come to say, "report your local pit bull breeder because they are probably dog fighters too. "

That is how I feel.

8. BishopBullyZ13

BishopBullyZ13 Big Dog

Goodwin said that the dogs have been bred for fighting and it would very difficult and expensive to re-train the dogs, even the puppies, so that they could be adopted.

EVEN THE PUPPIES??? c'mon now.....really?

9. StopBSL

StopBSL Top Dog

They say "even the puppies" because they advocate KILLING every single pit bull they lay their hands on, always.

10. SMOKIN HEMI

SMOKIN HEMI CH Dog

I dont know I just think that it is imperative to Stand behind the Patroits in the pitbull community. If it were not for them we would not have what we have. If my father were charged of wrong doing, I would not throw him under the bus if convicted I would stand by him. I honestly believe that if that man Had the resources he would have fought longer. The truth is the goverment has endless resources to nail your ass. It is only a few that were able to outlast the barrage of a goverment witch hunt. Now is not the time to come apart it is a time to stand together.

11. AceBoogie

AceBoogie Pup

I hear every body talking about how this is gonna hurt the breed, how these people are animals for killing all these good pets we love so much.
    But I dont see any body doing anything about it, besides donate some money for lawyers to well known breeders of game dogs after they have been busted. This just isnt enough,and going underground isnt the answer either its time to fight fire with fire, the thing that peta,and the advocates of the bsl have in common is a law in effect that makes dog fighting illegal itself. I know that not every one that owns a pitbull fights their dogs but in all truth it is still a fighting dog and that is the fuel of their fire. In order to win this, dog fighting, yes I said it dog fighting is gonna have to be taken out of the fire, this sport was a legal sport at one point in history,so what event took place to make this sport illegal, someone was brave enough and smart enough to make the proper steps
    to make this happen. Now as a pit owner I my self dont fight dogs,but I under stand that this dog wouldnt be what it is today without this activity
    and a dog of this calibar should be taken seriously,and when i mean serious I mean serious.

If a person is caught with a unregistered dog,this animal should be put down and never bread
    if a person has more than five dogs, this person should maintain extinsive records of medical, breeding, vaccinations,including dates times ammounts given,all records shall be written and video recorded (even the do it your selfer)
    If a person also breeds these animals they shall be registered as so but is not allowed to participate in the sport of working dogs.
    If a person would like to participate in the sport they shall be registered as a such without the option of breeding
    A person may also dual register their kennel for breeding and working
    If a person does not own 5 or more animals and is not interested in becoming a kennel he/she may be allowed to join a sanctioned club that has been registered for the activity in which they would like to participate (breeding,working,ect.)

This is just a few Ideas of mine it may seem crazy but I feel that every thing must come to the light one day and when it does it has to be in order.

Theres only one way to keep these people from destroying this breed and that is to petition to make the illegal sport of fighting legal. laugh if you may bully-breeders but your dogs are indanger of bsl,staffie-breeders yours to,and like i say you may not agree with fighting dogs but if you own these dogs the law says you are a potential dog fighter.So I say if a man wants to preserve the breed for what it was designed to be let him do so, give the animal the correct medical attention and let him pay taxes to perticipate its the American way. Land Of The Free To Do What I Want With My Property Long As Uncle Sam Gets His. If you have a relpy good or bad im listening

12. gh32

gh32 CH Dog

When will the public get sick of the nonsense.Retrain the puppies,give me a break.As for the grown dogs,no need to retrain.Keep a dog aggressive dog on a chain,that should be simple enough for even the stupidest government official to understand.I feel sorry for the man,he gets jail time,loses his dogs and now they kill the dogs.

13. WWII

WWII Banned

And what would this accomplish? I mean, really: "If a person is caught with a unregistered dog,this animal should be put down and never bread"

14. prpitdawg

prpitdawg Top Dog

aceboogie: are you suggesting that dog fighting be made into a sport such as mma is for humans. i wouldn't see a problem with that particular point except 2 things. 1. i don't see that happening unless someone like oprah gets behind it. 2. many people have quit registering dogs for their own safety and wouldn't take kindly to their dogs being put down b/c of yet another law telling them how to keep their property. pit bulls were once held in the highest regard. treated like the heroes they are. times have changed. people are unwilling to accept the old ways. there are many sports that would show the undying determination that this breed is famous for. weight pulling (shows strength), schutzhund (shows obedience and instinct), agility courses and flyball (shows speed and agility), temperament testing and therapy work (shows their incredible tolerance toward humans), even frisbee competitions (shows speed, strength, ability, and obedience). i think these all give apbt owners the chance to show off their dogs' physical and mental prowess. that's jmo though.

15. gh32

gh32 CH Dog

Man,I already got the government wanting to tell me when I can take a dump.I don't need them telling me what to do with my dogs.I buy them,I feed them,I clean their crap,they should be mine.Who is going to be the first to sign that petition and be the next casualty of the witch hunt.I think lots of things that don't hurt nobody should probaly be legalized but that don't mean it will happen.Signing a petition would just give the feds names to arrest and there wouldn't be enough to accomplish anything either.

16. AceBoogie

AceBoogie Pup

if you have an unregistered dog hes just a pit no history of how it is breed or if the breeding was thought trough with a purpose, it would help put a stop to people breeding dogs and selling them for $100 saying they some good dogs laying a name on them like its a gatormouth,or like it use to be in the mid90s its a colby dog, so if you have no proof how this dog is bread it should be put down,cause if you buy this pup for all you know I could have a yard full of man biters and thats a good dog to me, this dogs have to much potential to take chances like this, then again this should not only be for APBTs but all dogs it would cut back on strays I bet

17. SMOKIN HEMI

SMOKIN HEMI CH Dog

Any type of manditory anything is opening up pandoras box

18. AceBoogie

AceBoogie Pup

Who is going to be the first I will sign it first would you be second then, probly not cause your scared, why whats the worst thing they can do take your dogs and tell you youcant own them any more,well I got news for you buddy they tryn to do that now or havent you been paying attention.
    Any thing under ground is illegal
    Drinking alcohol was during prohibition
    Boxing was at one point
    nascar was
    UFC was
    But enough people wanted to watch and was willing to pay taxes on these things so the goverment put regulations, and guide lines on them made them legal and now all these things i mentioned are multi million dollar venues, and I dont even like my daughter watching two people beat the crap out of each other,but all I have to do is change the channel because its a free country you can watch it at your house and i cant tell you a thing cause its legal, if it were illegal I could call tha cops cause I thought were watching a tape of people beating the crap out of each other.Same applies when were talking about these dogs. you have 1 or 2 dogs I have 8, one day I bring home a new dog all my dogs ar going crazy barking their heads off my neighbor calls the cops cause they think they heard my dogs fighting the cops comeout and find B12,Pennacillin,breacking sticks,a treadmill, and someother stuff automatically thats dog fighting paraphanellia I get arrested. you have your 2 dogs right down the block from where I live their out of my stock cause we buddies, automaticaly you are gonna be labled as a dog fighter. And since it worked on me some body just might think they hear you fighting dogs in your yard,cops come out you get caught with vitamen supplements,breaking sticks,breeding stand and a few other things automaticaly you are charged with breeding dogs for illegal purposes

19. TripleJ

TripleJ CH Dog

What Happened to fKN america. Home of the free and brave. I am sick of the goverment running our lives. our country need a good war to kill off some of these people taking all our rights. Im sorry thats how I am starting to feel. I guess next we will be made to sit and be brain washed at least 5 hours a week. I can see it now all the damn bama cults going on.And If I wanted 100 dogs and could care for them who the hell should tell me I have to reg them. And if I wanted to go out and shoot all of them in the head that should be my choice. Not being told Im going to jail for being cruel. And what happened to having to be cought not just "THEY WERE BEING BRED TO FIGHT" Bullshit! THE NEW AMERICA wher your goverment thinks a chicken has more rights than man.

20. WWII

WWII Banned

If only we were so lucky. They doing it 30hrs/week just in public school alone! Not to mention the television, newspapers, and media blog sites they feed us during our recreational time.